Typewriter Noise Fix

Jomax

Reaction score
Never had it, been running mobile 1 syn since new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15Platinum67

Reaction score
That's what I've been using since new. now 51k miles and it started last oil change only thing different used a Baldwin filter. Have about 2k miles on oil change and the noice is still pretty noticeable

doo dah

Reaction score
I heard it once when the dealer changed my oil but have never heard it after I change it, I use Rosella T6 and Fram filter. I have the bypass now with an Amsoil secondary filter and still no tick.

Jomax

Reaction score
I also ALWAYS fill up my new filter with oil before installing onto truck.

I've never done it any different, and always assumed that was the way it was supposed to be done?

Notneb

Reaction score
I've never done it any different, and always assumed that was the way it was supposed to be done?

It's so that when you're filling up, you don't miss a quart, which due to the size of our filters, is exactly what will happen. Also minimizes air in the system.

15Platinum67

Reaction score
Update I changed the oil from mobile 1 to valvoline premium blue extreme with wix filter put about 600 miles on it so far still ticking I'm going to add a bottle of motor craft XL-17 oil additive seems to be the last cure everyone is talking about I'll report back after I put some miles on it

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I heard this noise on two NJ DOT F550 bucket trucks. I was able to see a Motorcraft oil filter, unknown brand of oil.

Where does the noise come from?

Billy T.
[email protected]

Ford says "it is a normal noise, and is a characteristic noise of the 6.7, and is not detrimental to the longevity or engine functions. It has no short or long term effects, and will typically cease or diminish significantly within the oil change interval."
This is what they have publishedin an ssm telling techs to not attempt repairs. As far as where it comes from i really have no idea, but it seems that finding the oil that doesnt do it is the fix.

dawashi

Reaction score
I have a 2015 6.7 and my first oil change after some items had fallen off the truck I heard the infamous ticking noise, I put archoil 9100 and ever since it has gone away after that I have put archoil in all my vehicles diesel and gas

15Platinum67

Reaction score
Update: put another 1000 miles after adding the motorcraft H-17 oil additive ticking is still there may even be a little worse. :shrug: not sure what else to try

uga33

Reaction score
The XL-17 won't fix it if you have it. Atleast it didn't for me.

Mine ticked for 55k miles. Then the last oil change, I swapped to 5w40 Rotella and it stopped. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Ambient temps seem to be the only consistent factor with it.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
The XL-17 won't fix it if you have it. Atleast it didn't for me.

Mine ticked for 55k miles. Then the last oil change, I swapped to 5w40 Rotella and it stopped. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Ambient temps seem to be the only consistent factor with it.

Yeah I also strongly believe ambient temps are a big factor...

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Just something I noticed the other day. Living in Canada brings huge temperature fluctuations come spring time. It was -5F in the morning when I left Fort McMurray (Northern Alberta) early in the morning and I had the tick. I then drove 8 hours south where the weather was up to in the low 50's. All of a sudden the tick was gone with the ambient air temperature change. This all went down right after I changed my oil too...

Latest posts

Members online