Vacuum Pump Question (Not about leaking)

rolltidediesel

Reaction score
My vacuum pump was leaking and also my front cover. I tore it down and replaced all the seals on the cover. Got it back together and was still leaking but only from the vacuum pump now. So I again tore it down and found that the bolt closest to the little red seal and screen on the pump was not seated right. So again fixed that and started it up. Ran for a minute then yet again started leaking from pump. So for the 3rd time took off the pump.

So here is my question, is the pump suppose to have a large quantity of oil in the cover side? Seems to me something is wrong with it being a pressure part with maybe a little bit of oil residue for friction sake.

My truck is a 2012 F250 6.7L w/107K miles now.

Attachments

• VZM.IMG_20170130_175507.jpg
    VZM.IMG_20170130_175507.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 107
  • VZM.IMG_20170130_175446.jpg
    VZM.IMG_20170130_175446.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 109
  • VZM.IMG_20170130_173458.jpg
    VZM.IMG_20170130_173458.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 122

rolltidediesel

Reaction score
I did find this information. Not sure if this means that it should be full of oil but from the looks it may be normal.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 137

DieselDog

Reaction score
Yes the vacuum pump has oil pumping through it this is normal. As for it leaking that is not normal there should be no oil leaking from pump while engine is running.
If leak is originating from gasket all of can say is make sure bolts are torqued to specifications. If not they will leak. If leak is coming from pump itself then the sealing surface could be scored or external pump cover seal is damaged which I don't think that one is serviceable separate from pump and you will need to replace pump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DieselDog

Reaction score
I also noticed silicone on your front cover where vacuum pump goes. If silicone is being used it can also cause oil leaks this location does not require silicone. It is gasket only no silicone needed. New gasket is cheap and easy aquired at your local dealership and hopefully fix you concern. Also try not to use metal scrappers when removing the silicone any scoring can cause gasket to not seal.

rolltidediesel

Reaction score
Roger that. I appreciate the feedback. Getting gasket today and removed all old RTV. Not sure what the torque specs are for those bolts. Googled for awhile and found older F-motor torques but nothing for the 6.7, specifically vacuum pump.

DieselDog

Reaction score
Give me a minute I'll send you the torque specifications. It will be in IN LBS not ft LBS.

rolltidediesel

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for the info. Got it all back together and so far nothing leaking. I did notice some runoff but I'm hoping it was just left over oil I couldn't wipeup.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DieselDog

Reaction score
Oh could I ask where you got that at? The spec sheet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
You can get it from Motorcraftservice.com you have to pay for subscription. I haven't found anywhere that you can just purchase a DVD or downloadable workshop manual.
I have emailed ford to see if you can purchase such a product but no response yet. It probably would be cheaper then a subscription. Unless someone on here knows where to aquire one please chime in.

DieselDog

Reaction score
You can also find a lot of this information using alldatapro.com they have virtually the same information as Fords workshop manual..

Latest posts

Members online