• vane factory.jpg
    vane factory.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 192
  • vane custom.jpg
    vane custom.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 202

3brorce

Reaction score
Anyone have a video of vanes open at idle and close above 1k? I would like to hear it.

MrMike2010

Reaction score
Unplug the vgt solenoid and start your truck. Unplugged will open the vanes all the way up and you can hear it at idle. Wouldn't advise driving around tho it will be super laggy.

TD-5

Reaction score
Played around with the turbo settings again today. Reduced Vane position % tables & desired back pressure tables by 10% across all the tables. Set everthing below 1000 rpm to 0.0. Seat of the pants says I don't see any negative or positive changes in performance. still puffs a little more( I think) black at the lower/ off idle rpms , but then the H&S tunes always seem to smoke more after a change? Will have to run it like this for a while to see if there are any positive gains in economy.
Exhaust tone at idle sounds good, most of the Hair dryer effect is gone below 1000 rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoBp56W8PZI&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

jordan572

Reaction score
Nice, does it sound like a 6.7 when you get out of it like will said? Are you slamming the vanes shut right above 1000 rpm then or do you ramp them up slowly. I would think it would lag bad to 1000 then it would shut the vanes and surge almost cause the boost would come on so quick.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Nice, does it sound like a 6.7 when you get out of it like will said? Are you slamming the vanes shut right above 1000 rpm then or do you ramp them up slowly. I would think it would lag bad to 1000 then it would shut the vanes and surge almost cause the boost would come on so quick.

you can go from 0 to 95% and it won't hurt anything... not sure what converter you're running, but my truck has no "lag" up to 1000 because if you breathe on the pedal, it jumps well over 1000rpm.

there's a little more tip-in smoke with this setup, but the sound is cute

TD-5

Reaction score
Never noticed any lag or surge, Truck performed about the same as it did before the changes, there is a more noticeable turbo spool down whine when the revs drop to idle, & the slight difference in smoke, but then I dropped all the tables by 10% so that may have some effect on the smoke. Will need some more seat time @ different loads before making any conclusions

Stroked777

Reaction score
It probably puffs a little more at idle because the turbos aren't "pre spooled" like Matt told me in an email last week when I asked him about this, he said throttle response from a light would be a little slower

3brorce

Reaction score
I believe that. I wonder if would be noticeable difference. Almost makes the truck sound like a single event truck.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
the difference in off-idle response is pretty much imperceptible... only difference is maybe a little extra puff of smoke.

Watch your tach and see how long your truck spends below 1000rpm when leaving a dead stop. It ain't long, and it occurs well before the truck really moves.

I ran my truck like this constantly until I got Matt's tunes. I talked with him about doing this, but his tunes run so well and at the end of the day that's all that really matters, so I never pursued it furthur

Stroked777

Reaction score
Anyone discover a way to make the vanes actuate like the 6.0 stratagy to make them open and close? I loved that on my 6.0 when I had it

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I changed all VGT tables and all desired backpressure tables. I would set the VGT duty to 3-5 or so, not 0. When I was setting up my VNT controller for my Dodge, Brayden said the solenoids don't like to be pegged out. Not sure if the same applies to the 6.4 high pressure controller. Probably not, but I still set it up like that anyhow. Same goes for full closed. Note that factory tuning has it at 95%, not 100

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.