wastegate question

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I'd say you got a leak in your system somewhere. Sure a hose didn't pop off the wastegate? Maybe one of the hoses is leaking as well. Other thing is your regulator could be no good. I'd test the regulator and see if it's working right.

I'm 99% sure there are no leaks. Just checked all the intercooler lines today. Boost reference comes right off the CFM. All the lines are still connected.

Whats the easiest way to test the regulator? Didn't even think of that. If it had bigger inlet/outlet I would just use it in place of one of my compressor regulators...

White_monster

Reaction score
Put a gauge on the regulater. Use your shop compressed and put air to it and see if your getting air threw it. Simple pneumatics my friend. Also all the boost reference lines arethey clamped or tie wrapped? Are all the fittings tight? Also I wonder if your precision gate has taken a dump, as most have not been lasting.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Put a gauge on the regulater. Use your shop compressed and put air to it and see if your getting air threw it. Simple pneumatics my friend. Also all the boost reference lines arethey clamped or tie wrapped? Are all the fittings tight? Also I wonder if your precision gate has taken a dump, as most have not been lasting.

All the fittings are tight and clamped. I would hope the gate will last more than a 1,000 miles...

Dzchey21

Reaction score
put air to the top or bottom and leave the opposite line off, listen for an air leak out of the opposite line

Some precisions have been sticking sometimes you can shut them by putting air to the top of the gate

White_monster

Reaction score
It's hit and miss. Some do some don't. You might have blew a hole in the diaphragm and that's the whole issue. Hard to diagnose your problem without seeingthe truck. I can only give you suggestions.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
They have been known to stick then move on their own. Ask me how I know.

Doug is not shy about how he feels about people in the industry. That is for sure.

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i dont think mine has stuck yet, but if a tubonetics gate will blot in i am going to swap for safety.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Put about 40 psi to the top, and then the bottom of the wastegate. could not hear or feel any air passing through the gate. So that should be good. Checked the regulator and that is working as it should. Put everything back together with full boost to the top and vent on the side.
Out of the hole the truck makes 50 psi boost. Getting closer.... after your moving, if you get on it, it falls on its face and only makes 35 psi regardless of how long you stay on it.

I am ready to give up and just rip the wastegate off and go back to my happy 250 tune.

Any other thoughts?

White_monster

Reaction score
You've got a leak somewhere in your system. What are you seeing for back pressure? Does BP drop when the boost drops? Who installed your kit? Just a long shot did the installer forget the metal ring that seals the valve. I'm out of ideas for now. Good luck.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Not sure about a metal ring? unless you mean the clamps that hold the wastegate on. not something I remember seeing it the box. There are not any visible leaks in the exhaust to or from the wastegate. Everything was done by a Ford tech. I think I may pull the wastegate and see if the truck runs right without it. Maybe there is something else wrong. The wastegate has been on it since the motor went back in.

BFT

Reaction score
precision-pw46.jpg

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
I think you may need to add more spring. Your back pressure could be overcoming the spring before the boost can help. Remember air pressure is not the same as hyd pressure. The psi delivered to the valve is not exact force applied to help the spring. Idk.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
egr blocker plates work nice to eliminate the gate pretty easy

whatever you find on your gate, will probably needs for his gate, but it does kinda sound like its blowing the gate open and when your crusing its not enough boost to help hold it shut, tadd told me thats why his gate set ups shipped with 25 psi of spring in them, to prevent that.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
It seems to me that it just needs a heavier spring also since it works fine with lower tunes. It is an elite wastegate. I never pulled it apart to see what was in it for a spring. I was under the impression that the wastegate should work right with just the spring. Then boost was to fine tune it?

I am guessing by the image above. The part that maybe missing is the inlet or outlet flange? I can't see any other parts that it could be. Even if that is missing which i dont think it is. There's still no sign of a leak on the inlet or outlet.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.