wastegate question

BFT

Reaction score
The piece I was wondering if it was missing is called the valve seat and it is the next piece above the inlet flange.

:whs:

thats normally a place to look when this is happening. i remember helping out someone on the other site with it and it turned out to be that problem.

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
I don't think it would work at all without the seat. There is a 1/16gap around the valve without it.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
There was not any tape to been seen on the gate itself. I remember looking over the gate itself and do not remember seeing what would be the valve seat. I actually remember wondering how the valve sealed anything the way it was. I was thinking it was a loose part that got lost, but maybe never made it to me. Maybe I will get some time tomorrow to pull it apart and figure things out.

V-Ref

Reaction score
I had to use shop air to lift the gate open in order to get the inlet flange clamp installed because of the valve seat. The valve seat should be a fairly snug fit against your WG valve...

I'm assuming the WG location is a PITA on the 6.4 from the pics I've seen :shrug:

These pics may put the discussion into reference....I'm thinking you'd remembered this part if you'd installed it. It goes without saying...but without the valve seat being installed, you can see the potential for a drive pressure leak, and WG diaphragm heat damage, as exhaust gasses slip past the WG valve...

WG flange on a 7.3 dinosaur-

i-MnGpVBq-L.jpg

WG flange on a 7.3 dinosaur with the "valve seat" installed-

i-cMcXjwt-L.jpg

PTE 46 WG with "valve seat" installed-

i-M2d732t-L.jpg

Hope this helps. Don't know a thing about the 6.4 other than I wish I had one.

kruser02

Reaction score
I had this same problem on my turbo mustang. I was all upset that it was running like crap and laggy until I realized I had a extra part in the WG box! This "valve seat" is a miracle part! Car runs great now and is no longer in perma-gating mode.:)

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Got the wastegate out. Valve set was in place. 20 psi opens the gate all the way easy. Top holds air pressure with no leaks. What now? I was running full boost to the top just to get it work some. Wrong spring?

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Pulled it apart. There is a large blue spring, red medium spring and a silver small spring. Does anyone know what the colors relate to in pressure?

Latest posts

Members online