wastegates?

strokin08

Reaction score
I am new to this site and looking for advice. I got 08 f250 with just tuner,cai and dpf delete. I'm fixing to do studs and egr delete. I'm thinking on doing tow power atmosphere from elite. Running stock fuel and plan on not going any further. Truck is my dd andi tow with it. My question is do I need wastegate with these mods? Just trying to get more input from people. I know this has been talked about before and sorry to ask again just wanting to know for my setup. Thanks in advance for all help.

strokin08

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Come on I know more people can give there input than this. This is my first post on here so help out. Yall can atleast tell me to kiss yalls a$$ or something lol.

MINK

Reaction score
If a reaction is what you're are after then try awol.

I agree, skip on the gate.

BFT

Reaction score
Depends on your budget. You won't need one but you also can't go wrong with one. Being that you tow I assume you won't have it on a big tune? What tune do you run?

strokin08

Reaction score
I run spartan. I run higher hp tunes for dd for fuel mileage but when I tow anything heavy i run 210 tune. Some people say i need it and some say unless your adding fuel or nitrous you don't. I wanna be safe but if its not needed i rather use money for other mods.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
No N20, No fuel, no need for a gate. I have one sitting on the bench that was previously on my truck. Just was not needed.

strokin08

Reaction score
Do you tow with your truck much? I was wondering if and how much does the tow power atmosphere help? Thanks guys keep it coming.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I put around 10-12k miles a year on towing between 12-15k lbs. Its not going to help you tow more, but it sure does cool things off some.

I am very happy with my set up. I was able to drive 1400 miles round trip to Rudys event. Drag race, dyno, go home, change tunes and haul anything I want. Can't ask for much better than that.

strokin08

Reaction score
Since you run spartan tunes also what kind of back pressures you seeing? That's why I was told I needed it and just curious what your seeing and what's safe limit?

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I am 1-1 at full throttle which is 53(53+14=67)psi ebp. Which is as good as it gets.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
You are seeing 67psi backpressure with barometric added in and only 53 with it subtracted?

Ipkyss

Reaction score
You are seeing 67psi backpressure with barometric added in and only 53 with it subtracted?

yes. Which is within a psi or 2 of what Jeff (Spartan) is seeing with bassically the same set up

B585Ford

Reaction score
That is my basic setup except I added intake Manny and I do a good bit of towing. I haven't had this on a week yet but unloaded so far I have seen cool egts with 1:1 almost all the time. No wastegate needed.

B585Ford

Reaction score
What's the most ebp i can see and be safe?

Up pipe failures seem to be hit and miss. Just to be safe, I upgraded the up pipes. I believe stock valve springs are rated around 70 PSI so I would definitely stay below that in order to avoid valve float. Hopefully someone that knows for sure can chime in.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
i wasnt seeing 1-1 on my setup without a wastegate... i am now though. i dont see why not to be honest. you cant say its not better.

I only see 1-1 at full throttle. The ebp is higher than boost at part throttle. But that is what keeps the truck nice and responsive. If your ebp and boost are not where you want them, then by all means a WG is the perfect solution. In my case, it was not useful/needed. It was just one more thing to have issues with. I like simplicity.

I have my wastegate sitting on the bench just incase I decide to go bigger air/ fuel in the future.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I only see 1-1 at full throttle. The ebp is higher than boost at part throttle. But that is what keeps the truck nice and responsive. If your ebp and boost are not where you want them, then by all means a WG is the perfect solution. In my case, it was not useful/needed. It was just one more thing to have issues with. I like simplicity.

I have my wastegate sitting on the bench just incase I decide to go bigger air/ fuel in the future.

I use to see a pretty big difference in my ratios, but since my most recent upgrades (intake manny, 71, 6.0 exhaust manny, up pipes) the ratio has been 1:1 (within 2-3 PSI) at any throttle position after about 10 PSI on boost. I am not running Spartan so I don't know if it is programming or the intake manny (my exhaust manny is not ported so I doubt it is doing much - I did it for reliability not performance).

Latest posts

Members online