What is needed for 12v to 5r110?

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
The thought has crossed my mine, but then I realized why I like 12vs. I've even thought 6.7 with 5.9 electronics or a p-pump. Simple is how it is going to be.

Garrett

encrypted with an enigma machine

Matt_P

Reaction score
Can I use the dodge AC pump or will I need to make my Ford pump work?

Garrett

You can use the dodge AC pump, it fits right inside of the passenger frame rail without a problem. Itll just take some wiring and new AC lines

Mdub707

Reaction score
There was a guy on dieselbombers that put a 5R110 behind his 12V... in his Dodge truck too. I know he got it going and he said he sold it because he could never get the trans tuning working. He seemed to think it was a hard parts issue, but my gut still tells me it was a tuning issue. Pretty cool to see someone put it in a Dodge truck though...

AllanB

Reaction score
I would still give the 4R100 some serious thought. If it is built by BTS, it will have a long life behind the Cummins. I am going to start collecting parts for the conversion myself. I think the last time I figured it up it was about $5400 for the conversion without the trans. That was all the parts by Destroked

AllanB

Reaction score
For $184 you better stick with the manual. I think the BTS is just a little more expensive than that LOL. I wasn't trying to sale you on the 4R I was just saying that if you don't like to shift all the time, there is nothing wrong with the 4R. I believe it has proven to be a reliable trans behind the Cummns.

TyCorr

Reaction score
There was a guy on dieselbombers that put a 5R110 behind his 12V... in his Dodge truck too. I know he got it going and he said he sold it because he could never get the trans tuning working. He seemed to think it was a hard parts issue, but my gut still tells me it was a tuning issue. Pretty cool to see someone put it in a Dodge truck though...

Was he from IL? Daniel Klein? If so, I witnessed firsthand the trials and pitfalls(mostly pitfalls) of trying this. Even if we arent talking.the same guy ive seen this attempted and fail. He talked to Brian(bts) several times and the pcs tuning was just off. The thing.would.sliiiiiiiiiiip and then BANG convertor lock and the first stage would.howl and you'd be out.of.control. Rebuilds and shift kits and the trans just continued to.eat itself. Sold it and the trans dumped on the guy about.fifteen miles out. Save yourself.the headache op and use a dodge auto or a manual.

The real reason the guy I know sold.his was he got.ripped off on an ebay scam buying a car. Had a 12k dollar car note on a car.he.never got.

MossBack

Reaction score
I have contemplated this very same swap of course in my obs. From what I have found the nv5600 and 4500 have been ok north of 500 HP with a good clutch. But some people have continued to have problems and have switched to a Eaton Fuller fs 5 or 6 speed. And since medium duty trucks run a 5.9 they adapt easily but require mounts that bolt on the sides.
Just another thought for ya. Good luck!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
The 4500 should be just fine at the power level I want to end up at, 7-800. DD clutch, big input, upgraded mainshaft. I don't plan on racing it so fast shifting isn't going to be a problem.

Garrett

AllanB

Reaction score
Well what ever ya go with Garrett remember to get plenty pics and info of the build. Some guys on here don't like the whole Fummins idea and some do. But I think all of us like to see a good build. Good Luck.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
Im a Ford guy through and through, my blood runs blue. Haha. There has been a blue oval on my arm for over 8yrs for a reason. I don't want to drive a dodge but I was going to buy one for the cummins, to later be swapped into an obs. I finally came to my senses and decided to go through with the swap into my SD. I learned a lot when I had my dodge and I know how to make pretty good power and get good mileage too. I'm not a huge fan of electronics so the 12v fits my bill. The 6.0 isn't cheap either. I will get pics of everything. I already have a motor I am going to buy from my friend. Another friend in Ohio has some pumps so I am going to try to get him to set me up with a mild 13mm if he can or DPE will do it. I just need to start getting parts. I miss my truck. I now have a reason to have a crew cab(girlfriend, 2 kids, and my ever-growing puppy). It has been over 4yrs since I drove my truck, I think I owe the truck this much. We will see how it goes.

Garrett

roachie

Reaction score
If you need help with any of it let me know, its all pretty straight forward. Being in socal I'm not sure on the legality of the 12v though.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
If you need help with any of it let me know, its all pretty straight forward. Being in socal I'm not sure on the legality of the 12v though.

The legality of it is I will have to pay to get the truck "smogged" every two years. This is why I wasn't going to do the 12v into the SD but I am just going to do it. I don't want a CR and I don't want to get rid of the SD for an OBS. Maybe if someone wanted to trade me I would.

Garrett

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Im a Ford guy through and through, my blood runs blue. Haha. There has been a blue oval on my arm for over 8yrs for a reason. I don't want to drive a dodge but I was going to buy one for the cummins, to later be swapped into an obs. I finally came to my senses and decided to go through with the swap into my SD. I learned a lot when I had my dodge and I know how to make pretty good power and get good mileage too. I'm not a huge fan of electronics so the 12v fits my bill. The 6.0 isn't cheap either. I will get pics of everything. I already have a motor I am going to buy from my friend. Another friend in Ohio has some pumps so I am going to try to get him to set me up with a mild 13mm if he can or DPE will do it. I just need to start getting parts. I miss my truck. I now have a reason to have a crew cab(girlfriend, 2 kids, and my ever-growing puppy). It has been over 4yrs since I drove my truck, I think I owe the truck this much. We will see how it goes.

Garrett

What horsepower goals are you going for?? A 13mm pump is pretty extreme. Slot of guys have cranked out big HP sticking with the good ol 12mm pump

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
13 is probably overkill but if I can get it turned down enough it would be nice to have. A benched 12 would get me where I want to be which is 7-800 in the long run. I will start slow to get it going. Run about 400 at the start. Then build the twins and turn up the fuel and see where it goes from there.

Garrett

Latest posts

Members online