What is needed for 12v to 5r110?

Mdub707

Reaction score
Was he from IL? Daniel Klein? If so, I witnessed firsthand the trials and pitfalls(mostly pitfalls) of trying this. Even if we arent talking.the same guy ive seen this attempted and fail. He talked to Brian(bts) several times and the pcs tuning was just off. The thing.would.sliiiiiiiiiiip and then BANG convertor lock and the first stage would.howl and you'd be out.of.control. Rebuilds and shift kits and the trans just continued to.eat itself. Sold it and the trans dumped on the guy about.fifteen miles out. Save yourself.the headache op and use a dodge auto or a manual.

The real reason the guy I know sold.his was he got.ripped off on an ebay scam buying a car. Had a 12k dollar car note on a car.he.never got.

Yup, that's him his name was like dan33klein.

It's funny, just a few weeks after that I spotted a superduty on ebay with a destroked fummins conversion, truck was like an 04, that had the 5R110 behind it, wouldn't you know the guy selling it said there were some "minor" tuning issues that needed to be worked out with the trans...

Well what ever ya go with Garrett remember to get plenty pics and info of the build. Some guys on here don't like the whole Fummins idea and some do. But I think all of us like to see a good build. Good Luck.

Pics are good!

The legality of it is I will have to pay to get the truck "smogged" every two years. This is why I wasn't going to do the 12v into the SD but I am just going to do it. I don't want a CR and I don't want to get rid of the SD for an OBS. Maybe if someone wanted to trade me I would.

Garrett

encrypted with an enigma machine

Are you sure? I was under the impression that Cali wouldn't allow you to swap in a motor that was older than the year of the one it was replacing. I thought it had to be the same or newer?

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
The state will never know there is a 12v in there because legally there can't be. Like I said, I will have to pay to get it "smogged" every 2 years. Hence the quotation marks around smogged.

Garrett

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yup, that's him his name was like dan33klein.

It's funny, just a few weeks after that I spotted a superduty on ebay with a destroked fummins conversion, truck was like an 04, that had the 5R110 behind it, wouldn't you know the guy selling it said there were some "minor" tuning issues that needed to be worked out with the trans...

Pics are good!

Are you sure? I was under the impression that Cali wouldn't allow you to swap in a motor that was older than the year of the one it was replacing. I thought it had to be the same or newer?

Dan is doing alright now. He put.quite a bit of.work into that old.dodge. He.had compounds and a built p-pump. It.ran great but.the 5r couldnt.hang. Rebuilt by ford, a trans.shop, and it wouldnt.live because he couldnt.get the pcs right.

He.actually had a manual in it but another.guy destroked his ford and Dan gave him the 12v and 5gear out.of.his.dodge in exchange.for the 5r and a 12v that needed some work done. Dans a bright young guy and I.felt.bad for all the work he.put in that truck.

Mikeh1725

Reaction score
The state will never know there is a 12v in there because legally there can't be. Like I said, I will have to pay to get it "smogged" every 2 years. Hence the quotation marks around smogged.

Garrett

It's great when you know people...

Side note- think I found a 94 12 valve with an auto for $2500, and it's a daily driver.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
So which transfer case to go with. NV273 or 241 DHD?

Which pedals do I have to order to go from auto to manual?

Which throttle pedal and cable set do I need? From a similar year gasser I believe.

Garrett

Matt_P

Reaction score
So which transfer case to go with. NV273 or 241 DHD?

Which pedals do I have to order to go from auto to manual?

Which throttle pedal and cable set do I need? From a similar year gasser I believe.

Garrett

I used a 273 case that has the dodge input in it, bolts right up to a dodge transmission and then all you have to do is get the rear driveshaft lengthened and the front shortened, much cheaper than getting all new drive shafts made since you would have to switch the rear driveshaft to a slip yoke and put the dodge flange on the front driveshaft.

For the throttle cable, you use the dodge cable. The firewall has a hole in it with a plug for a gasser application. Pull that plug out and its a round hole, file that hole into a square and the the dodge cable will pop right in. For a pedal just go to the dealer and get a pedal for a gasser from the same year, its about 60 bucks and the dodge cable pops right into it.

As for as auto to manual parts Im not sure.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
I was hoping to go all manual but I guess I will just stay with the 273. I had talked to Dan at midwest trans a few years ago about it and I was just going to change the input as well. I only asked now because a buddy in Ohio is going to buy a truck for the engine and I would buy the trans and t-case from him but I guess I will just get the trans. That is if I still want to go nv4500. Kinda thinking about a 6spd but I don't know. I just want to get all the parts so I can start.

Garrett

Matt_P

Reaction score
I was hoping to go all manual but I guess I will just stay with the 273. I had talked to Dan at midwest trans a few years ago about it and I was just going to change the input as well. I only asked now because a buddy in Ohio is going to buy a truck for the engine and I would buy the trans and t-case from him but I guess I will just get the trans. That is if I still want to go nv4500. Kinda thinking about a 6spd but I don't know. I just want to get all the parts so I can start.

Garrett

Im pretty sure you could easily turn your 273 into a manual 271 just by throwing the manual linkage on the transfercase. A 241dhd would be plenty strong as well, youll just have a lot more money in getting driveshafts made, not to mention the 273 is a stronger case anyways.

You definitely cant go wrong with a 4500, if you want a 6spd best would be to look into getting a 5600 as well then. Most of the miscellaneous dodge parts Ive needed Ive had good luck finding on compd