What parts should I buy?

Blue Line Fab

Reaction score
I'm ready to buy some more performance parts for my 03.

I'm looking for some input from guys who are running common setups.

The truck is my daily driver and it pulls my trailers which range from 3,000 LBS to 14,000 LBS

Where I live is pretty much flat only a few minor grades.

What I am looking for is reliability and longevity in the products I'm going to purchase (I don't want to be on the side of the road with my camper, wife and children). I'm not going to have the truck set on kill all the time,
but I would still like to have some fun with it when I want.

I have the following.

-Built 4R100 transmission.
-Forged bottom end.
-Head studs.
-Main studs.
-Ported and polished heads with swamps valve springs.
-Push rods.
-Matt's stage 1 cam.
-Fluid damper.
-S468.
-Gauges.

What I need or at least what I am thing about going with.

-Hydra chip.
-Gearhead tunes.
-250/200's or 250/100's. What's better for my application?
-Adrenaline HPOP, I'm not sure if that will support the 250/200's.
-4" exhaust.
-6637 intake.
-Intake plenums.
-Dual SD pumps for reliability.
-Regulated return with bowl delete.

Arisley

Reaction score
Yes, the Adrenaline will support those injectors. I have almost 100K on mine now, not ever a hiccup.

Sounds like a good reliable setup. I especially like the dual superduty pump setup. Same thing I have, right now I have a dead pump, still works fine unless I stick my foot in it.

Unless you are building your own regulated return, go with Dennis at Strictly Diesel, his kit is superb. Get his Banjo bolts also and feed the fuel to the back of the heads. If you stay with the factory fuel feeds, at least remove the one way valves at the heads.

97stoker350

Reaction score
Very reputable guys above but id say go with the 250/200s. They can be tuned to run almost like stock and make over 600 at the same time. You alread have supporting mods and those heads would compliment the turbo and injectors big time.

Blue Line Fab

Reaction score
I've talked to a couple injector suppliers today. They both said 250/200's or 250/100's with the 468.
From what they are saying the 200's will require a little more tweeking from a tuning standpoint.
I tried calling Gearheads for some input from a tuning prospective, but no answer.
Never really though about Dyno Proven, I'll give them a call.

Thanks for the input guys.

BigRedDiesel

Reaction score
Dyno Proven does not tune to a hydra if that's the chip you are set on. Did you leave a message for Gearhead? Larz is usually really good about calling back...

V-Ref

Reaction score
S468/200% is a responsive combo for sure...and makes enuf power to break stuff for sure. Could always run that combo on a smaller tune while a another motor was being built...

Blue Line Fab

Reaction score
I see too many 468 and 200% nozzle rod failure threads. Some said it was the tuning, but each person was running different tuners.

Are these guys running canned tunes or live tunes?

I'm starting to think live tuning with my setup using a 250/200 would be the best way to go, the only problem is, I'm not close to any tuners.

I'm not interested in breaking. That being said I realize I'm starting to push the limits of the stock forged bottom end.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Tuning is a major reason people recommend the 80% and 100% tips. I'm all about the 200% (and bigger) tips.... but then tuning and truly understanding your rig starts to become paramount. I think it would run and perform best with the larger tips.... but its much more of a road to get there.... and that is the reason why I would suggest smaller tips.

Blue Line Fab

Reaction score
I talked with gearheads today and he is suggesting either 250/200's or 350/200's. I never thought anyone would spec the latter of the two for my setup. So now I guess I need to decide what's best for me and my setup.

TARM

Reaction score
It's the nozzle flow rate (80% 100% 200%) not the fuel capacity (250,350,400cc)that really matters. In terms of the total fuel capacity it holds, as long as its more than will ever be commanded ( injected) you are fine. Any more than that does not effect anything negatively. There can be other benefits at times for larger volume capacity but that's no important here. Point being its the nozzle size .flow rate that effects tuning etc not the capacity of the injectors.

I can promise you Matt can tune 200% to idle like stock and even have the cruise control work properly with no surging. He can tune the fuel to give you anywhere from stock power up to the limits of your setup.

A set of Nate's (Unlimted) 250/200% Matt tunes will work out very nicely. I can not see myself every paying for injectors that had smaller than 200% if I am going away from stock fuel, HPOP, and turbo. As long as you have someone that can properly dial in the tunes I just do not see the point other than maybe a bit of cost.

thuglike

Reaction score
I have been down the 250/200-300/200 road and for my money it can't be beat!!!!

IMO it's the single best all around sized injector out there.. Tame enought for DD'ing, towing and all around work and wild enough to drop jaws at the dyno/racing events.
As far as who's to run..we sell and use P.I.S. Tim's injectors have been the smoothest we've seen. Easy to tune and make the power advertised. Any reputable maker on these boards can get you to your goals.

Looking for a hpop? I have one in mind...and it comes with a lifetime warranty and run the injectors you want with no problem.

With the investment your making..live tuning is the way to go. Keep your tuner of choise informed with EVERY aspect of your build.. hell if you can get them involved with the build.
The best build in the world isn't worth a pound of $hit with poor tuning..it's the key to realizing your hard work and money was well spent!!!

Let me know if we can help!!

bigfords

Reaction score
It's the nozzle flow rate (80% 100% 200%) not the fuel capacity (250,350,400cc)that really matters. In terms of the total fuel capacity it holds, as long as its more than will ever be commanded ( injected) you are fine. Any more than that does not effect anything negatively. There can be other benefits at times for larger volume capacity but that's no important here. Point being its the nozzle size .flow rate that effects tuning etc not the capacity of the injectors.

I can promise you Matt can tune 200% to idle like stock and even have the cruise control work properly with no surging. He can tune the fuel to give you anywhere from stock power up to the limits of your setup.

A set of Nate's (Unlimted) 250/200% Matt tunes will work out very nicely. I can not see myself every paying for injectors that had smaller than 200% if I am going away from stock fuel, HPOP, and turbo. As long as you have someone that can properly dial in the tunes I just do not see the point other than maybe a bit of cost.

Tarm, what kind of cold start smoke are you getting with Matts tunes and Unlimited 200% nozzles? Thats really my biggest concern. My 100s are clear on 50 degrees and up, under that they clear up within a minute or 3, but still kind of annoying when out in public.

alradco

Reaction score
If it were my truck I would add an intercooler to the list of things to add.

Latest posts

Members online