What parts should I buy?

TARM

Reaction score
Tarm, what kind of cold start smoke are you getting with Matts tunes and Unlimited 200% nozzles? Thats really my biggest concern. My 100s are clear on 50 degrees and up, under that they clear up within a minute or 3, but still kind of annoying when out in public.

I had nothing except maybe a small puff on the cold days when it first lit but no smoking like you see with some tunes when they are smoking until they warm up.

You know for the ultimate it cold V-Ref is the guy to answer this as he is up in Alaska.
You know your covered by what he has found. He is basically running as close to an identical setup to mine as you could reasonably get: same injectors from Nate, same basic tunes from Matt. Same turbo even.

FYI as a general rule Matt sees smoke as a evil that needs to be stomped out. No but in all seriousness he works very hard to have some of the least smoke/hazy tunes I have seen.

Obviously some of this is dictated by the mechanical condition of your engine. Low comp or leaking seals you may have issues no matter what but in good condition I seriously doubt you will not be happy with the results.

Maybe V-ref has a video or something of his truck idling in the winter. At the very least he is a extremely detailed and technical guy in his observations so his description IMO will be very accurate for the conditions he sees. Those are likley cold into the deep negative degrees

bigfords

Reaction score
Very good info, I appreciate it. Have you had any live tuning done at all? If not that is impressive. How much fuel can you get out of a 200% nozzle?

V-Ref

Reaction score
I had nothing except maybe a small puff on the cold days when it first lit but no smoking like you see with some tunes when they are smoking until they warm up.

You know for the ultimate it cold V-Ref is the guy to answer this as he is up in Alaska.
You know your covered by what he has found. He is basically running as close to an identical setup to mine as you could reasonably get: same injectors from Nate, same basic tunes from Matt. Same turbo even.

FYI as a general rule Matt sees smoke as a evil that needs to be stomped out. No but in all seriousness he works very hard to have some of the least smoke/hazy tunes I have seen.

Obviously some of this is dictated by the mechanical condition of your engine. Low comp or leaking seals you may have issues no matter what but in good condition I seriously doubt you will not be happy with the results.

Maybe V-ref has a video or something of his truck idling in the winter. At the very least he is a extremely detailed and technical guy in his observations so his description IMO will be very accurate for the conditions he sees. Those are likley cold into the deep negative degrees

I've started at -35 with Unlimited 200% nozzled injs, and 907Dave even colder with 200% and 400%. You've got something mechanical going on (injectors, GP system, or weak HPOP)

Here's from a couple days after Thanksgiving. Not super cold, but you can see it starts and idles with very good manners. :fordoval:

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=847530&postcount=67

i-7SFZQp6-L.jpg

i-vKgNdX8-M.jpg

Gearhead Hydra tuning "All Out" tune
Unlimited 400cc/200% injs
18F air temp
12F oil temp
overnight, no plug, not driven in 5 days, truck has been driven 17 miles since HG replacement, probably still have some air in the HPO sys.

i-pHc8qzf-M.jpg

After 5 minutes of idleing (Gearhead "Whisper" tune)
i-2WS5NJ5-M.jpg

Gearheads Hydra tuning with the new 4 line is the best my truck has idled...ever. I'm sure other tuners have idle figured out too, just posting my experience. The reason for the engine compartment shot, is to show no "shake, rattle, and roll" like I've had before....he'll probably say it's the same tables, and he didn't change a thing now :) ....but I'm just sayin'

Hope this helps. I think the right answer is Unlimited Diesel Injectors, Gearhead tuning, and Swamps HVHF IDM.

http://www.swampsdiesel.com/IDM/High-Performance IDMs.htm

Latest posts

Members online