When to fire ring the heads....

slc6oh

Reaction score
bout to have my truck pulled apart and studded. Heads will obviously be machined flat by a good local shop.

question is: From yall's experience, at what point is it needed to fire ring the heads?

I Know theres more than just boost levels that play into cylinder pressure, but assuming 40# from a borg 362fmw on stock injectors.... should I pucker, be cool, or just have my heads ringed, its like 50$ a hole extra.

oem gaskets will be used.

slc6oh

Reaction score
also, to add to my question I guess.... its a daily driver/weekend tow pig, and after studded may see the occasional trip down the strip...

is there any info out there that shows ringed heads being any less "long term reliable" ???

like heat cycles screwing with em?

Jeremy @ No Limit

Reaction score
O-ring heads are just as reliable as not
True fire-ringing is not mean't for a daily driver.

My advice, along with any of the other seasoned veterans on here.....o-ring them and forget them.

slc6oh

Reaction score
"true fire ring"

Meaning the block also I assume?

////////

edited. I did some quick homework. now understand the diff.

Last edited:

renegade

Reaction score
Real fire ringing can be heads or block or both and will handle much more cylinder pressure. However most shops do not recommend fire rings on a daily driver. O-ringing is generally enough on a DD. And cheaper.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I've been running Hypermax's fire ringed heads for nearly 10 years as a daily driver with zero issues. It's truck pulled, drag raced, burnouts and a bunch of boosted launches. They are perfectly fine as a daily driver. There are three ways to fire-ring...grooving the heads, the block or both the heads and block. Grooving the heads is what's recommended for daily street use. The big difference between the two is how the ring is seated.

Last edited:

BDS6oh

Reaction score
When running the hypermax kit, did you, and how often did you have to re torque your heads? That's a big thing for Cummins guys is constantly trying to keep up on that it seems. At least the ones I've been in.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Never retorqued. I don't know of anyone running the Hypermax kit who have actually went back and retorqued the studs.

BDS6oh

Reaction score
And see its nice seeing someone with your set up giving that info. We did a 24v some time back and Hailey's told us to keep up on it. Sure enough, have done it twice now and seem to get just a little bit ... Not much but it moves past the mark the two separate times we've retorqued

swinky

Reaction score
O-ring them and be done. My truck has been doing fantastic with o-ringed heads. Hell Baileys old crew cab went 11.38 I believe with just standard arps and no O-rings. O-ringing the heads is just that much extra insurance. No offense to chris but the hypermax kit just isn't needed. You're going to put a rod through the side of the block before you blow head gaskets with a properly done stud/O-ring job. That's a promise.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I definitely agree Jared! Only reason I went with the Hypermax fire rings is because back in 2006...no one was doing O-ringed heads. Only option was plain heads with standard ARP's or the Hypermax fire rings with standard ARP's. Thats why I went the route I did. I have a set of UCF O-ringed heads sitting here with 120# springs that will be going on the truck in a month or two

Merc82

Reaction score
Glad I oringed my heads, gives me the warm and fuzzies about my truck.

swinky

Reaction score
I definitely agree Jared! Only reason I went with the Hypermax fire rings is because back in 2006...no one was doing O-ringed heads. Only option was plain heads with standard ARP's or the Hypermax fire rings with standard ARP's. Thats why I went the route I did. I have a set of UCF O-ringed heads sitting here with 120# springs that will be going on the truck in a month or two

Looking forward to you getting the old girl back together man.

scorpion67

Reaction score
I was just told by my local shop that they've had a few o'ring jobs that leak a little coolant until the engine warmed up, and that he was told by the o'ring supplier that some a them just did that. Is this just one brand of o'rings or is this a characteristic you have to overlook with o'rings?

Sent from a Californian ruined by smog laws

Jeremy @ No Limit

Reaction score
I was just told by my local shop that they've had a few o'ring jobs that leak a little coolant until the engine warmed up, and that he was told by the o'ring supplier that some a them just did that. Is this just one brand of o'rings or is this a characteristic you have to overlook with o'rings?

Find another shop

scorpion67

Reaction score
Here in Northern California we don't got to many options. Doubt it will ever happen but any chance a non-oring setup will handle 700hp?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.