Who's running Borg Warner s362/68/.91

windrunner408

Reaction score
Since we are talking about spool up and turbo response, has anyone tried back to back tests of a ported intake manifold vs a stock intake manifold with their non-VGT to see if helped it light off a little sooner and help with those EGTs while the truck is in OD?? Just curious. I know the ported intake manifolds help the VGT guys and it seems like it would do the same for the non-VGT turbos too.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Ill be doing a same day comparison soon, just need to get a manifold done and on the truck. Empty cruising isn't an issue my egt's dont go over 1,000* going up a 8% grade a mile long at 65mph on cruise. Its just towing in overdrive that is the problem, the 6.0 just lacks in that down low grunt no matter what charger, injector or tune. Even stock towing 12k it would downshift everywhere with a tow tune or stock file. The 6.0 is put out of its peak torque range with these transmissions, which is why I used to tow with race files, they just had more power and torque that the truck needed to tow better.

Blacksmokin22

Reaction score
Awesome guys I appreciate all the advice! When do you know if you need a wastegate or diverter valve?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Diverter valves are a waste, they're unreliable on diesels and can create big back pressure issues when seized closed, my buddies BD seizes constantly, removed the internals and welded the ports shut on it to get rid of it.

Wastegate really shouldn't be needed in either setup unless spraying it. I run 1:1 WOT

svilla

Reaction score
has anyone tried back to back tests of a ported intake manifold vs a stock intake manifold with their non-VGT to see if helped it light off a little sooner and help with those EGTs while the truck is in OD?? Just curious. I know the ported intake manifolds help the VGT guys and it seems like it would do the same for the non-VGT turbos too.

Yes I have. The truck runs alot better with a ported manifold. My observations are;

- My turbo lights off about 200 RPM sooner. I don't know why. I would think fuel and exhaust pressure would control how fast they light.

- EGTs dropped about 150 degrees

- I used to hate when my trans locked the TC at 55 MPH in 5th. Now it doesn't matter because the turbo lights sooner.

This is with a small turbo 62/70.

As far as diverters go. Not a waste. They work as advertized.

I have not had a problem with my Diverter seizing. I'm not saying that it is impossible, just that I have not had an issue.

I pick up my turbo bleed off of the intake elbow to operate the valve. This makes it really easy to run a compressor line to ops check it from time to time.

Like anything with these trucks, stay on top of MX. Have a way to monitor things. I run a CTS and keep back pressure next to my boost.

Last edited:

windrunner408

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for sharing your experience. I figured that would be the case, but it is nice just hearing it from someone who tried it.

Latest posts

Members online