why swap

Uncle_jesse

Reaction score
i have a 93 f350 which was factory powered with a 7.3 turbo idi it still ran good but was lacking big time on power ... so went for the cummins swap and love the swap but if my truck was a powerstroke i would have probably left it alone ... but i do really like the simplicity of the 5.9 and for little money you can make a fair bit of power

But haters goina hate ! :pimp:

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
i have a 93 f350 which was factory powered with a 7.3 turbo idi it still ran good but was lacking big time on power ... so went for the cummins swap and love the swap but if my truck was a powerstroke i would have probably left it alone ... but i do really like the simplicity of the 5.9 and for little money you can make a fair bit of power

But haters goina hate ! :pimp:
:walkin:

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
Even 6.0s have reliability. Some of them. ..I have respect for any diesel. My dad worked at Cummins and my dads owned three dodge trucks with their motor. The last one was the only auto, 2006. The only problem with a Cummins is the displacement. No replacement for displacement. You want big power do get a dt466 and smash it into a truck. Speed? Put a built 6.4 into a ranger. TORQUE? Put a Cummins into a ford. Or buy one with a 7.3. I did. I won't replace that motor, transmissions, axles or any of that anytime soon. Just my .02. P.s. good CHEAP power? Buy a 2wd dodge manual. Build the manual trans and the axle. Then the motor. Pull it to the track in a 7.3. That will get you hated on and looked at...

4duggan

Reaction score
Only reason to swap that I have came up with is that my wifes ex has a V-10 that does all she needs it to.
But when that gas motor takes a $hit she will be housing a 12 valve under the hood.
The truck is in great condition and maintained above and beyond so the 10 might take a while to crap the bed.
It was my late wifes truck but the new wife loves it just as much,maybe more so its a keeper fo sho.

willholl79

Reaction score
When my 6.0 sh!ts the bed, I'll probably put a cummings in it........maybe..........probably............................................................not.

Matt_P

Reaction score
I swapped because I lost faith in the reliability of my 6.0. I liked the way the truck ran with a 6.0 in it but it left me stranded once 6 hours from home, and after blowing headgaskets for a second time in a short amount of miles and cracking the heads I decided to call it quits with that engine. It had 192k miles on it though and the bottom end is still being ran in a buddies truck. Ive also had plenty of issues with reliability of trucks in the past so Ive learned when a good time is to call it quits before dumping too much money.

Ive been real happy with the cummins for the last 12k miles Ive had it in the truck. I rebuilt the entire engine for not very much, and it makes decent power so it should be good to go for a long time. I also enjoy the simplicity of working on it, dont have to pull the cab to do anything. The only thing is I wish I would have put a common rail in, getting a p pump dialed in is a little bit of pain.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
no i'm not new to diesels and it cummins

I think a debate thread should be started... CumminGs or cummins!

537384_10151370873904004_45436554_n.jpg

See and its owned by Ford too LOL

01PSD

Reaction score
I just have a hard time grasping the idea I guess when you spend so much money to actually do the swap. I guess swapping a 12v in wouldn't be as involved as a common rail, but still I think the money could be just as easily spent making the Power Stroke stronger and more reliable (and 7.3s are already pretty reliable..)

Just my .02 for whatever it's worth :D

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
I just have a hard time grasping the idea I guess when you spend so much money to actually do the swap. I guess swapping a 12v in wouldn't be as involved as a common rail, but still I think the money could be just as easily spent making the Power Stroke stronger and more reliable (and 7.3s are already pretty reliable..)

Just my .02 for whatever it's worth :D

I just don't understand why everyone can't have what they want. I like old trucks. If you want newer technology in an 02 like mine, get a common rail. Injectors, HPOP and HPO system, not to mention more parts to go wrong. I understand a swap from a 6 leaker if its been terrible to you, or any Powerstroke, but if you are willing to invest that much money in your truck with no warranty then you better find a damned good mechanic and keep it down on the tuning. If you go through 7.3's like one guy out here did (two motors with 400k, both catastrophically failed) then yeah, a 12v guaranteed to work is awesome. I hate how it has become a status symbol though. People do it just for fun, nothing wrong with that, but with twenty G's I can make a sick ****ing 7.3 that will tow anything and last forever...

Matt_P

Reaction score
I just don't understand why everyone can't have what they want. I like old trucks. If you want newer technology in an 02 like mine, get a common rail. Injectors, HPOP and HPO system, not to mention more parts to go wrong. I understand a swap from a 6 leaker if its been terrible to you, or any Powerstroke, but if you are willing to invest that much money in your truck with no warranty then you better find a damned good mechanic and keep it down on the tuning. If you go through 7.3's like one guy out here did (two motors with 400k, both catastrophically failed) then yeah, a 12v guaranteed to work is awesome. I hate how it has become a status symbol though. People do it just for fun, nothing wrong with that, but with twenty G's I can make a sick ****ing 7.3 that will tow anything and last forever...

No need to find a mechanic though when you can take care of it all yourself. Warranty work can be hard to trust from some places these days too.

I guess some people may do it for a status symbol, those are the ones that plaster Cs all over their truck and cummings windshield banner and all that. I wont put a single cummins C on my truck.

seeyalater5.9

Reaction score
I don't have much to add to this cluster *** of a thread other than Matt P's cummins swap in that white KR is one of my favorites!!

Very clean truck buddy!

Latest posts

Members online