why swap

01PSD

Reaction score
I just don't understand why everyone can't have what they want. I like old trucks. If you want newer technology in an 02 like mine, get a common rail. Injectors, HPOP and HPO system, not to mention more parts to go wrong. I understand a swap from a 6 leaker if its been terrible to you, or any Powerstroke, but if you are willing to invest that much money in your truck with no warranty then you better find a damned good mechanic and keep it down on the tuning. If you go through 7.3's like one guy out here did (two motors with 400k, both catastrophically failed) then yeah, a 12v guaranteed to work is awesome. I hate how it has become a status symbol though. People do it just for fun, nothing wrong with that, but with twenty G's I can make a sick ****ing 7.3 that will tow anything and last forever...

totally agree, if it's what you want... go for it! It just feels like everyone is hopping on the bandwagon

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
My personal truck is a 06 6.0 ccsxb 4x4 ford. It has 96ish k on it. Problem free 15-18mpg on the hwy tuned or stock. Other than tuning it is as it came from the factory. I've pulled various trailers and ran it hard. I've had no real issues.
My work truck is a 06 dodge cr 5.9 cclwb 2wd with a service bed. Bone stock. It gets maybe 14mpg on a good day. It does ok but is nothing to brag about.

From these two examples I wouldn't swap motors. The 6.0 just plain out performs the dodge stock to stock. Unless this truck got tuned and just blew me away ( the dodge) I can't see any reason to spend the coin for the swap. Just my opinion.

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
Its a lot easier to make power out of. Thin rods like a 6.7 though. Swap them with 12v forged rods is the trick. Reason most swap is because you can actually make a ton of power per cid. Nothing has really kept up with a common rail 5.9 on power per liter, fuel only. But to me, most usable is 400hp as a Reliable, long term engine. Guess what. People can go with a basic stage 1 on a 7.3, WITH PMRs, and have 400 at the engine. Reliably. 6.0, bulletproof and tune. Dont even have to remove emissions on a 6.4 and a 6.7 does 400 at the motor stock.
To spend 20k, you must absolutely abhor a proven injection system like the heui. Not the greatest since sliced bread, but it beats shimming boreing and messing with a 12 valve. Simply put it beats mechanical injection in the ease of tuning, and it can produce 400 at the wheels no problem.

Latest posts

Members online