ZF 5 s47 sounds like marbles in a coffee can

Baker42

Reaction score
Well I'am back.
With a new problem,,,,again.
I bought a "rebuilt ZF5s47" from an outfit about 200 miles out of town.
90 day warranty. So I pulled my ZF5s42 because of straight up carnage (don't ask). Installed the trans behind my 30,000 mile OFE.
Wrked and shifted great for about 200 miles. I did not install a new throw out bearing as mine was only 30000 used. The trans started making a noise like a bunch of marbles in a blender when I turned the truck off the other day. So I pulled the trans (again), installed a new timken throw out and pilot, put everything back together, but it still sounds like ****. It is a little quieter now though. So my question is and I believe this to be the case. How hard is it to replace the input shaft bearing on these transmissions? And is it something that is not too hard? The truck still shifts real nice, the other trans which is now broke in half used to grind almost all gears. So I have no core.
I'am pretty pissed because the drive to return it.
It has a slight whining noise in neutral and sounds like god awful when you kill the ignition but otherwise performs flawlessly. What could cause this? I don't believe the bearings had enough preload on them. Does that sound accurate?:wtf:

Baker42

Reaction score
Yes it's under warranty but there are not to many of these readily available.
So I will be out of a truck unless I can find another one.
I don't wish to pay 1850 for a rebuilt one plus 500 on a core

Magnum PD

Reaction score
You can't go back to the shop and tell them "Your trans sounds like crap! Fix It!" ??

Baker42

Reaction score
Yea I,m going out there Friday. But If they offer me my money back Im without a trans. And don't really have the money for a new one. I think I may try and rebuild it myself.
Have you ever been inside of a zf5? Are they that hard? If I do rebuild it myself I will be demanding some money back.

97stoker350

Reaction score
single mass flywheel will make this sound. i have a valair single mass with ceramic disk and at certain times like when you lug it down past 1k rpms it will sound like gears grinding. if this is what you think might be the problem don't worry about it
http://www.valairinc.com/performance/7394-98.html

take a look at velairs site. note that it says some trucks not all so that may be why the other trans didn't make the sound

Baker42

Reaction score
No this thing sounds like hell and when I took it on the freeway today the accelerator pedal and the whole floorboard was shaking.

Reaction score
Most important question yet: DO YOU STILL HAVE A STOCK DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?

If you do, most likely it is self destructing. They have been known to break tranny cases due to vibration when they are really bad.

Can make all of the symptoms you have described. I have run a lot of ZF5's hard and never lost the bearings. Not that they cant be bad, just likely something else.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
we had one lose a bearing, vibrated BAD in 4th gear. 250k with 90% of that towing a tool trailer.

My bro in law had some time to spare, used a ebay rebuild kit, put maybe 30k on it and now its whining bad in all gears, not sure whats going out of it but it aint good.. If you rebuild it use QUALITY parts.

79jasper

Reaction score
I think vibration in 4th states bad bearings, because it's direct drive.
Something like that, I had read in a diagnostic page.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Baker42

Reaction score
I have a south-bend CON OFE. And I did use an alignment tool along with Timken throwout and pilot bearing. The truck is a 95 f-250 and the trans is a ZF5-s47 out of a 97. I'm going to ask for my money back. Has anyone heard of smart parts auto? I found there website and they offer rebuilt zf5's for $1275 + core seems like a good price.

Baker42

Reaction score
Whatever southbend clutch sent me with the con ofe.
Still looking for anyone who has delt with smart parts auto.

Baker42

Reaction score
Yes the flywheel is good.
Pulled the trans out today and when I drained it there was black shavings in it. Less than 15 miles on Valvoline synthetic mercon

Baker42

Reaction score
I ordered and installed the smartparts rebuilt zf5. The syncros are awesome.
The problem still persists though. Rattle at idle in neutral. louder rattle coming from clutch area when engine is shut down. New starter, new throw out bearing, new pilot bearing, new transmission. Starting to get pissed. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you PSA.

Baker42

Reaction score
I hope there is someone that still runs the dinosaur ZF5 that can help me. ANYONE?
Could this be the start of a grenading clutch? Sure does sound like that 10000 mile OFE let lose. After a new transmission it has to be the clutch.

Latest posts

Members online