ZF 5 s47 sounds like marbles in a coffee can

Arisley

Reaction score
When did ford ditch the dual mass flywheel?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

single mass flywheel will make this sound. i have a valair single mass with ceramic disk and at certain times like when you lug it down past 1k rpms it will sound like gears grinding. if this is what you think might be the problem don't worry about it
http://www.valairinc.com/performance/7394-98.html

take a look at velairs site. note that it says some trucks not all so that may be why the other trans didn't make the sound

Most important question yet: DO YOU STILL HAVE A STOCK DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL?

If you do, most likely it is self destructing. They have been known to break tranny cases due to vibration when they are really bad.

Can make all of the symptoms you have described. I have run a lot of ZF5's hard and never lost the bearings. Not that they cant be bad, just likely something else.

What flywheel do u have

So it is a farely new flywheel?

Looks like people were trying to answer your question a few times.

BTW, I have a Iphone.

Baker42

Reaction score
lol well the trans is good. A rebuilt unit, it must be the clutch. I have gone this far I guess I will through a clutch at it. I'll probably go with a luk this time. Southbend has not been to reliable for my 7.3

Baker42

Reaction score
solid flywheel I think southbend uses a luk flywheel. The sound is best as I can describe it is like a 1 inch bearing spinning on a 3/4 inch shaft

Last edited:

Baker42

Reaction score
Well I spoke with Peter @ southbend clutch and he agreed to send my a new disk. Do you think I should replace the flywheel at the same time. I'am pretty sure the pressure plate is ok to reuse. But maybe the flywheel has run out on it. Its getting louder and It just has to be the clutch unless my crank is walking around, but I dont think so. The sound is only present with my foot off the pedal. If you push the pedal in it doesn't make a peep

Baker42

Reaction score
They have one at parts plus here in town. It is made by sachs do you think it is compatible with the south bend setup? I think it should be a luk style design just like the southbend

SoGrand

Reaction score
Is the noise only when idling or is it constant while driving? Call me at my shop 888-824-2012

Dan

Baker42

Reaction score
Well out she came and what I found was no good.
The pressure plate had a dark blue burn to it and there was a scar one inch from the bottom all the way around it. The south bend disk had one of the segments separated and the organic side was burnt almost black. Peter at south bend warranted the disk, (I'm extremely happy with their customer service)and I bought a new "Impact" pressure plate an exact replica and probably the same pressure plate that south bend sells. Had the flywheel machined and the sound is gone. I will now be able to sleep at night. I have ben wrenching for 22 years and never heard That sound and I hope you all never have to. Thanks for listening PSA

Latest posts

Members online