zf6 trans fluid and tcase fluid

tensixniner

Reaction score

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

Shifts great, winter or summer, cold or hot.
how many miles do you have running that fluid? only reason i ask is that there is just about 185000 miles on my RC and i am almost positive its the fluid that was put in at ford back in 01... i dont know if there are any issues with the trans but dont want to take a chance at it being the wrong fluid for it since its done well with what has been in it since new..

anymore input from anyone using other fluid then what ford calls for?

live life full throttle

tensixniner

Reaction score

rascal

Reaction score
I have been using Royal Purple Syncrmax in both with great success.

Good luck!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The links are to the two recomended fluids at www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com

Hopefully it works this time ...

Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid
Part Number XT-M5-QS
Specification Number WSD-M2C200-C

Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid

Transfer Case Fluid
Part Number XL-12
Specification Number ESP-M2C166-H

Transfer Case Fluid

it worked this time. i checked it out. when you go to the quick reference charts tab then click on manual transmission towards the bottom of the list it shows mercron v under the zf6 from 99 on. i also read somewhere that it says mercron v is not to be used in a zf6 either.

live life full throttle

tensixniner

Reaction score
it worked this time. i checked it out. when you go to the quick reference charts tab then click on manual transmission towards the bottom of the list it shows mercron v under the zf6 from 99 on. i also read somewhere that it says mercron v is not to be used in a zf6 either.

live life full throttle

Have a look at Note 4 under the chart.

NOTE 4: 2008 - 2009 Service diesel vehicles with Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid.

Mercon V is still what Ford recommends for the ZF6 when attached to the gasoline engines.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
so does that mean the 2008-2009s use the full synthetic trans fluid thats a high quality gear oil and in the other years it says mercron v? or doesnt it matter? i could use either?

live life full throttle

Last edited:

tensixniner

Reaction score
so does that mean the 2008-2009s use the full synthetic trans fluid thats a high quality gear oil and in the other years it says mercron v? or doesnt it matter? i could use either?

live life full throttle

Some time in 2008 Ford changed the fluid spec for the ZF6 in a diesel application from Mercon V to Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid.
If you compare the 2008 Diesel Owners Guide to the 2009 and 2010 editions you'll see this.

I don't know why they did this. If I had to guess I'd say because of noise and shifting.

The Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid is a quality fluid, there are lots of others using it in different applications.

Right now I have Redline D4 ATF in both the trans and t-case.
I tried Redline MTL in the trans and it was slower to shift when cold, I didn't notice a warm weather improvement either.

Just because the Ford Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid has a GL-4 spec I wouldn't call it a gear oil.
Redline D4 ATF has the same GL-4 spec and it's sold as an ATF.
It's Ford's formulation and I don't know what it really is or it's equivalent from another brand.

I'm pretty sure my synchro's are getting tired. When the trans gets overhauled I'll be using the XT-M5-QS.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
ok. thanks for the info! also thanks to everyone else for chiming in.. good to know what everyone has tried.

live life full throttle

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
well i ordered the amsoil that cross referenced from fords full syn man trans fluid(75-90)... gonna give it a try.. hell this stuff pours better then the dino 15-40 im running in my motor...
y8u2y7e3.jpg

Members online

No members online now.