Update on my rig

sootie

Reaction score
You dont have the rapport to run yer cokc holster like this. You realize yer trouble is the ***kin hole above yer chin and below yer nose?

I see a permanent vacay in your future.

:priest:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
You dont have the rapport to run yer cokc holster like this. You realize yer trouble is the ***kin hole above yer chin and below yer nose?

I see a permanent vacay in your future.

yep , one more thread i see derailed in any section but smack talk , and he's gone, for good .

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Its not lash I'm talking about its valve stem to guide clearnce. A normal auto engine is set .0012-.0018 for clearnce. I ended up having to go upto .002 to stop valves from sticking.

Granted these are on BBC running only 2 big valves. So clearnce difference are going to be different then 4 valves with tiny stems on them.

Just thought I would throw it out there. It may not have anything todo with breaking rockers it might just be cheap stamped steel they are using but, it could also help these guys live.

You are not correct with hydraulic lifters like Eric is running. You are talking solids with the .002" lash.

Eric you have Hydraulics now, you have to pre-load them some so there will be no lash to set with shims, feeler gauges, etc. That is all for solid lifters. On these trucks from what I can tell the only way to get lash on the lifters or preload is pushrod length unless you machine the rocker box or head to drop it down some.
If you lash hydraulics you will spit the top of them out. The only Hydraulics that I can remember that you dont pre-load are made by Crower and Schubeck. Basically take the clatter out and lock them down. All others dpending on are pre-loaded a certian amount some from 1/4 turn to all the way to 1 turn past 0 lash and that depends on the thread pitch of the rocker stud and the make of the lifter to get the depth right.

Last edited:

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
He's not talking about lash he's talking about valve stem to valve guide clearance. I don't think thats the issue though.

TurboM700

Reaction score
He's not talking about lash he's talking about valve stem to valve guide clearance. I don't think thats the issue though.

Exaclty, and it may very well be the case, just wanted to throw it out there as it had me buying a new piston and head on a boat I was working on. :(
Oh gotcha. My bad. Back to your regular scheduled program.

Haha no worrys its friday :rockon::rockon:

tbsimmons

Reaction score
On his old set up I dont think it was that. I have given Eric my opinion on what occurred but in short this is what I think might have happened.
1. Solid lifters and no way to adjust them other than push rod length. Even if they set them at say .002 or tighter then the engine heated up. Everything expanded and hung a valve. No way to adjust when hot.
2. Valve springs were way to strong for what he was running. More wear on the rockers. One let loose and the lifter cam out of the bore, no oil pressure. I never got a number from anyone on what they were or the lift at the valve. I think the cams and the lifts seen on these trucks we dont need a lot of spring pressure on the seat.
3. Lost oil pressure in the top end because of running solids. Everytime I have or seen someone use solids you have to put orfices in the block instead of plugs in the oil ports. If this was not done then too much oil went through the lifters got below the pickup and lost pressure.

RedRice589

Reaction score
Reaction score
On his old set up I dont think it was that. I have given Eric my opinion on what occurred but in short this is what I think might have happened.
1. Solid lifters and no way to adjust them other than push rod length. Even if they set them at say .002 or tighter then the engine heated up. Everything expanded and hung a valve. No way to adjust when hot.
2. Valve springs were way to strong for what he was running. More wear on the rockers. One let loose and the lifter cam out of the bore, no oil pressure. I never got a number from anyone on what they were or the lift at the valve. I think the cams and the lifts seen on these trucks we dont need a lot of spring pressure on the seat.
3. Lost oil pressure in the top end because of running solids. Everytime I have or seen someone use solids you have to put orfices in the block instead of plugs in the oil ports. If this was not done then too much oil went through the lifters got below the pickup and lost pressure.

We know exactly what happened. There was no broken rockers or loss of oil. There was two different failures in the engine. It did not float a valve. Either way, that was history and will not be an issue with this engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Well what was it. I was just going off what Eric told me when it went and the pictures.
And dont say Erics right foot being too heavy.:rockon:

Reaction score
Ahh, well I didn't see the rockers busted. But I didn't get any with the engine.. They didn't break from being weak. I'm not going to get into the blame game. I told Eric what I found with the valve train. The other issue was injector/fuel system pertaining to two melted pistons. Even if the valve train hadn't failed, the engine was going to fail because of the melted pistons.

For all intensive purposes the issues with Erik's engine are not with this new engine and it has a proven simpler setup.

RedRice589

Reaction score
yep , one more thread i see derailed in any section but smack talk , and he's gone, for good .

Oops I better leave here too.... :hammer:

Ahh, well I didn't see the rockers busted. But I didn't get any with the engine.. They didn't break from being weak. I'm not going to get into the blame game. I told Eric what I found with the valve train. The other issue was injector/fuel system pertaining to two melted pistons. Even if the valve train hadn't failed, the engine was going to fail because of the melted pistons.

For all intensive purposes the issues with Erik's engine are not with this new engine and it has a proven simpler setup.

Soo basically when big daddy clausen wrecks chit he wrecks it good? I like it!

Erikclaw

Reaction score
We know exactly what happened. There was no broken rockers or loss of oil. There was two different failures in the engine. It did not float a valve. Either way, that was history and will not be an issue with this engine.

We do? Then wtf was it? Tell me here or message me, cause I thought we didn't know what the issue was. I have been down with a bad back so barely back on here now.

Erikclaw

Reaction score

LOL just saw this. I am not thinking clearly. uugghh the solid lifters were junk if this tells you guys anything. I am not in the blame game but I am for letting people know what to avoid and hopefully learn from my mistakes. I am not thinking clearly right now, lol. I was told I had to have them to make my motor live, take it for what it is but that is the truth.

Last edited:

Latest posts