190's and 68 VGT review thread

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
Ok....tunes from RCD and Innovative are in. Stay tuned as I'll be trying them out over the next few days!

Thanks again for all your help Jared and Eric!

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
Ok...as mentioned, I got 5 different tunes this morning to try out. From RCD, I got a Dyno tune, Hot Street, Hot Race, and Hot Street Lope. From Innovative, I got a new tune called Xtreme X.

I thought I loaded up the Hot Street this morning but it was actually the Xtreme X. This tune is a hybrid of a race and street tune that Eric wanted me to try out. The first review at the beginning of the thread was with my old tune for the regular powermax. The new tunes have definitely changed the truck.

Xtreme X

Idle: sounds awesome. there is a little bit of a lope that will make you raise an eyebrow but it's not too pronounced or annoying.

City driving: boost comes a little later than my old tune, right around 1500-1600 rpm but it comes in FAST after that. absolutely streetable with no smoke.

Moderate driving: once boost is in, it picks up hard. 1/2 throttle and beyond and it feels stronger than the pmax. The shifting in Xtreme X is geared more toward a race tune so lockup is a little earlier. now that my trans has learned, it's nice and solid. when getting into it, boost jumps from around 20 to 30+ in an instant. smoke is light/medium haze as long as you stay on top of the turbo.

Highway driving: Temps are still down. right around 800 at 70 mph. they were around 950 with the regular powermax. once tc is locked and you roll into it, there is light haze to moderate smoke depending on how hard you press it. right about 1800 rpm at 65 mph.

WOT: holy hell...this thing pulls hard when you give it the beans. much harder than the regular powermax. my pull was mostly 7/8 throttle, matted it once and it's like it got a small shot of gas. pulled hard all the way through the rpms. didn't seem out of air but I did run out of street before I could get all the way into OD.

outside vids to come in the next day or so.

Hot Street will be the next review in a few days. I meant to do this one first but got the tunes mixed up while putting em on my SCT. The guys (Jared) at RCD have been great to work with. Great job with the turbo so far!

Last edited:

Countryboy07

Reaction score
Man I wish I still had my 6.0... Congrats on the new mods Lance! You are doing a great job with your review of this new turbo!

I just can't believe your stock trans has held through all of this... you should be pushing 600hp I would think with this new turbo.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
I just can't believe your stock trans has held through all of this... you should be pushing 600hp I would think with this new turbo.

don't jinx me bro! i drive like a puss 98% of the time so I'm sure that's why it's lasted. Matt is going to bring his spare 5r down to ennis so I can really beat on this thing to see what dyno and track times are :thumbsup:

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
don't jinx me bro! i drive like a puss 98% of the time so I'm sure that's why it's lasted. Matt is going to bring his spare 5r down to ennis so I can really beat on this thing to see what dyno and track times are :thumbsup:

but if it goes dont expect a tranny swap as fast as my last one!!! LOL

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
highway cruising with reg powermax they were about 850-900. now they're 750-800 ish.

as far as power goes...the wheel is 4mm bigger so down low at low throttle, it's not going to feel any stronger. if anything, it won't feel as responsive as a turbo with a smaller wheel. it does pull harder when over 1/2 throttle but it's most noticeable up top. when you put your foot in it, it pulls damn hard. keep in mind, i'm still running my old tune for the reg. powermax so once I get it all dialed in, we'll really know what it does. stock trans will not last too long if you beat on it with this setup.

True last statement :)

strokin6L

Reaction score
Does this 68mm powermax that you got have the new billet wheel? Also does it whistle like a straight piped '03? Gosh i wish this came out a couple years ago....haha, i just can't afford another turbo right now. Hopefully next year. I'd really like to give this vgt turbo a try on my truck.

Latest posts

Members online