1953 F250 Powerstroke RatRod

joe d

Reaction score
This may be wrong thinking all together but there are no leaks i would think that much missing would be noticed. No poor running no extra smoke... None in oil no bubbles in Over flow resovore? Have you tried to fill it up again and see if it stays full? What if while you were running it down the road lets say you lost some out of a hose that wasent sealed up 100% but now it is and or the leak does not happen at idle or till its ran or ran hard? Just a thought i had..

joe d

Reaction score
Or maybe its lifting a head under a hard load and burning it out the tail pipe. Is the exhaust seem wet? On the inside.. Hope you figure it out. Good luck

Jomax

Reaction score
Only wetness was from spilled coolant when trying to bleed it all out. Had 8 gallons in and had it running hi idle for about an hour on a hill to bleed any air out. No white smoke really. A tiny puff at startup sometimes but nothing crazy. Gotta find a coolant pressure tester, anyone have suggestions? I thought I came across a place where someone sold one and had a compression tester available as well but I can't remember where. I have enough fords/powerstrokes around its worth getting the tools

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

You can rent a coolant pressure tester at Oriellys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluke

Reaction score
672675300a011fbdbcf8aa30f4fab76a.jpg

Just tee into the hose coming out of the right side of the degas. Don't cut the hose just add a short section and a tee then adapt to a air chuck fitting.

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
672675300a011fbdbcf8aa30f4fab76a.jpg

Just tee into the hose coming out of the right side of the degas. Don't cut the hose just add a short section and a tee then adapt to a air chuck fitting.

Might try that if i dont get into town today. going to warm it up and re torque the studs once i find where all the coolant went (most likely out the cap). I ordered a compression tester which should hopefully come next week.
Worst case scenarios for this are a messed up head or blown head gasket on the drivers side. the passenger side i can do right where its at but everythings so tight on the drivers side that the cab will have to come off to slide the head off the studs

broke an electrode off in my plasma torch on thursday so no more work on the box and stuff for a bit =(

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
1:270
2:350
3:325
4:380
5:320
6:380
7:340
8:320

There's a hissing noise near #1 when I stop cranking. Gonna start pulling the head tomorrow

morefuel

Reaction score
Probly have to pull the head anyways, but you could make sure both valves are closed and put air pressure to the cylinder. Then listen and see if it comes from the intake or exhaust to see if its valves.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Generally before you pull the head you want to see where the problem is. like said above pull the valve train and fit an air chuck to the glow plug hole and try to Identify the source of the leak.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
We just had a truck with a crack in the head that smoked like crazy and only lost a gallon or so in 1/2 hour of driving. So if you don't have any smoke, my guess is it's not being burnt in a cylinder.

We also have had plenty of 7.3 trucks be a complete pain to bleed the cooling system properly. Get an old t-stat and drill a big hole in it (or gut it?) and drive the truck, see if coolant goes down then. If not, you know it's a bleeding/burping issue.

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
Well, there's no white smoke except for maybe a small puff at startup so its not burning it and theres none in the oil so it all had to come out the cap. When doing the compression test I could hear gurgling after testing #1 I went back and took another reading and now there's nothing on cyl 1 so the head is coming off and getting checked before it goes back on. Already have a gasket coming from riffraff

It'll be interesting to find out why #1 has no compression. That gasket is either pretty dang messed up or theres a big hole somewhere lol

Last edited:

bluedge8

Reaction score
what about a valve hanging up? would you be interested in setting up a leakdown tester before you pull the head? When are you working on it next?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
what about a valve hanging up? would you be interested in setting up a leakdown tester before you pull the head? When are you working on it next?

^this. You most likely wouldnt even have to spend anymore money. Most compression testers have a normal air chuck fitting for the gauge, at least mine do. Just pull the schrader valve out of the adapter, turn it over to #1tdc compression, and hook ot to air. If its got no compression, you dont need a gauge to tell you percent leakage.

Check oil fill, degas, intake, and exhaust pipe for any air sounds.

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
All the pressure was going straight into the cooling system. Head is off now. Nothing super apparent looking with the gasket. Going to clean up the head and get it checked out

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
Ended up getting a mightyvac tester and adapter. Just used a rubber tipped nozzle to blow air in it. Thinking its a cracked head since the gasket looks decent. Brought the head in today so they'll take a look at it next week

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
took a look at it again today after work and my cousin and i found a spot that didnt quite look right. looked like one passage near #1 wasnt sealed up quite right because the gasket hadnt left any material on the mating surface like everywhere else. maybe it was that, maybe it wasnt. Til the head gets checked I'll keep spreading manure on the fields and chip away at the rest of the wiring

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
Got the head back yesterday. flattened and 4 new inj cups in it. should be able to start putting it back in tonight and hopefully get all the way to doing a hot retorque on the studs by the end of the weekend

Latest posts

Members online