2015-2016 Super Duty Active Regeneration Jack Hammer Valve Issue

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine started at 4000 miles, usually starts in 6th gear at 50mph. I go to accelerate(the gradual acceleration to where it doesn't downshift) then it will start bucking. If I manually downshift to 5th, it goes away unless the rpm lowers to the point at which the 6th gear and 50 mph started, then it happens again. Repeat to 4th gear...works the same way

ONLY during REGEN! when I haul my camper, REGEN never happens

Runs like a pcp junkie any other time...

thanks everyone for posting to this thread...I have found it very informative...I'm just going to do the *** ******!

hit me up when you're ready to rock .

louisianashooter

Reaction score
I've been having the problem and have been posting in other forums which seems to be more fighting going on than anything productive. The problem happened at 5,000 miles for me, I'm currently at 12,000. As others have noted, during regen 45-50 MPH as soon as the truck shifts to 6th gear the truck begins to buck, observable powerloss, and audible engine noise. I've got video evidence of this happening while going up a steep bridge. I'm at a fork in the road, and need help.

Options are:
1) Trade-in the truck.
Worriment: I really love this truck and have already have a lot of aftermarket invested. I also don't want to be upside down on payments.

2) Bring truck in to have the cab pulled, left head/components replaced. Get software update in March 2016.
Worriment: Do I really want the engine torn into if it won't fix anything and if there is no mechanical damage. Also, I've spoken with the local diesel mechanic and he said Ford's solution to fix this problem will be to inject more fuel into both sides instead of just the left cylinders. He was concerned with the EGR getting fouled up. This sounds like a solution to one problem but creating another.

3) Backspace the exhaust components
Worriment: If I go this route and another component fails later b/c of the previous vibration/bucking, I'm out of a warranty. Is this fully reversible, I don't know much about this along with which brands to go with? Can someone PM me on the current leaders in this category, last I read no one had SOTF option.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
ever wonder why you see so many REALLY low mile 15's for sale? :eek:

take the hit and trade it in before you murder the Oasis report :(

CurtisF

Reaction score
I've been having the problem and have been posting in other forums which seems to be more fighting going on than anything productive. The problem happened at 5,000 miles for me, I'm currently at 12,000. As others have noted, during regen 45-50 MPH as soon as the truck shifts to 6th gear the truck begins to buck, observable powerloss, and audible engine noise. I've got video evidence of this happening while going up a steep bridge. I'm at a fork in the road, and need help.

Options are:
1) Trade-in the truck.
Worriment: I really love this truck and have already have a lot of aftermarket invested. I also don't want to be upside down on payments.

2) Bring truck in to have the cab pulled, left head/components replaced. Get software update in March 2016.
Worriment: Do I really want the engine torn into if it won't fix anything and if there is no mechanical damage. Also, I've spoken with the local diesel mechanic and he said Ford's solution to fix this problem will be to inject more fuel into both sides instead of just the left cylinders. He was concerned with the EGR getting fouled up. This sounds like a solution to one problem but creating another.

3) Backspace the exhaust components
Worriment: If I go this route and another component fails later b/c of the previous vibration/bucking, I'm out of a warranty. Is this fully reversible, I don't know much about this along with which brands to go with? Can someone PM me on the current leaders in this category, last I read no one had SOTF option.

I'm just waiting for the calibration update. I'm not having the motor pulled apart for something that will be fixed with nothing more than some programming changes.

Speaking of..... Ford has not released any info regarding exactly how the calibration update will resolve the issue. So be wary of anyone saying they know that Ford is going to inject more fuel or whatever. At this point that's pretty much someone talking out of their a$$.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Which is standard operating procedure for most technicians, salesmen, and custodial engineers in this industry (and every other for that matter)

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I'm just waiting for the calibration update. I'm not having the motor pulled apart for something that will be fixed with nothing more than some programming changes.

Speaking of..... Ford has not released any info regarding exactly how the calibration update will resolve the issue. So be wary of anyone saying they know that Ford is going to inject more fuel or whatever. At this point that's pretty much someone talking out of their a$$.

From what i have heard, the calibration update will perform regen on both sides, instead of just the left to help fix the issue. Dont know what else will be changed, or if what ive heard is even true though....:shrug:

Jomax

Reaction score
I seem to be lucky, no issues with 34k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Profuzz

Reaction score
I bought a 15 my knowing of this issue as its unfortunate for those affected it's still a very small number of trucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

bdm1981

Reaction score
I bought a 15 my knowing of this issue as its unfortunate for those affected it's still a very small number of trucks

Still an issue. That's why when I buy a new vehicle I always wait a couple of model years when they make big changes. Whether it's engine, drivetrain, or cosmetics. Seems like it takes a couple of years to work all the bugs out. All manufacturers are pretty well the same on that aspect...

CurtisF

Reaction score
This makes me so glad I didn't buy a 15 model....

My truck has the issue but I still love the truck.

In reality, it's a very minor inconvenience. If the problem pops up, it's literally as easy as downshift a gear or two to get it to completely go away.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
My truck has the issue but I still love the truck.

In reality, it's a very minor inconvenience. If the problem pops up, it's literally as easy as downshift a gear or two to get it to completely go away.
so it does it when its some what under load or lugging it before a downshift?

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Profuzz

Reaction score
I lost some parts on my truck at 5500 miles never a single shutter ! I'm running a tow boss w/430 gears that might help pull thru the issue ? I wonder what gears some of these trucks have ?

CurtisF

Reaction score
so it does it when its some what under load or lugging it before a downshift?

It only happens at very specific loads, speeds, and RPM's. In addition, it only happens near the beginning of a regen. After a few miles during regen it's impossible to get it to shudder again. On my truck the regen has to be going for about 2 minutes or so, and after about 7-10 minutes I can't get it to shudder again no matter what I do. So it's a very short period.

Speeds I've encountered are around 45-60 mph, usually cruising at very low RPM. At those conditions and at the right point during a regen, slightly push on the pedal and the engine will shudder. Let off the pedal and it stops. Or downshift, and it goes away completely and the truck will accelerate as normal. Do neither and continue trying to accelerate, and the shudder gets worse.

louisianashooter

Reaction score
It only happens at very specific loads, speeds, and RPM's. In addition, it only happens near the beginning of a regen. After a few miles during regen it's impossible to get it to shudder again. On my truck the regen has to be going for about 2 minutes or so, and after about 7-10 minutes I can't get it to shudder again no matter what I do. So it's a very short period.

Speeds I've encountered are around 45-60 mph, usually cruising at very low RPM. At those conditions and at the right point during a regen, slightly push on the pedal and the engine will shudder. Let off the pedal and it stops. Or downshift, and it goes away completely and the truck will accelerate as normal. Do neither and continue trying to accelerate, and the shudder gets worse.

Perfectly described.

Latest posts

Members online