6.4 at Ford for the 4th time now!

powerSmokin

Reaction score
That is awesome, good to hear everything was covered. I keep hearing too many horror warranty stories for the 6.7's but they seem to honor the 6.4 warranties quite well.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
So the truck is back. I read the RO and found out what the issue was. The tech states an injector stuck open which broke the piston, the piston then proceeded to destroy the head and the block. So the truck has a new short block and one new head...

oh look....another catastrophic 6.4 failure.

y_u_no.jpg

and before all you 6.4 homers chime in.....i'm just kidding...kind of LOL

funyun

Reaction score
What causes the injector to stick? Sucks that something like an injector sticking will take out the whole motor

4tonGT40

Reaction score
I am getting so sick of this truck (not the 6.0, lol). Should have got rid of it when it had it's first issues. It decided to dump oil all over the road last weekend while pulling a 40ft 5ver. Almost ruined my 4 day riding trip, but the 6.0 came to the rescue! I just can't believe this thing, went to Ford at 300 miles for limp mode. Had fuel in the crankcase from high pressure leak, then at 1k for the same issue. It was back again at 20k for a leaking radiator and a leaking rear main, turned out it needed the whole bedplate replaced. Now at 60k something major happened, its running real rough and lost about 8 quarts of oil on the ground, but I can't see where it's coming from. Think the first issue could have caused this new one? I'll post back with what they find...
I would ditch it when its outta warranty too, looks like you got the truck finished on a friday before 4th of July weekend. LOL...Just to let ya know, all makes and models have issues like this that arent common, I bought at the time 2007 E350 MErcedes-Benz, used with about 17,000 miles.Long story short It stayed in and out of the dealer for a majority of the time I owned it. Everything from bad wiring harnesses to a complete transmission replacement at 26,000 miles! You got a Lemon Ford like I got a Lemon MB...I personally drive A 08 6.4 AND wouldnt sell/trade it for nothing. Good luck man, FYI not sure what state you live in but I think In GA where Im at more than 3 times at the dealer for the same issue( assuming the problem persist to happen after the 3rd) within a year is worthy of a manufacturer buy-back so keep that in mind

06powerstroke

Reaction score
FYI not sure what state you live in but I think In GA where Im at more than 3 times at the dealer for the same issue( assuming the problem persist to happen after the 3rd) within a year is worthy of a manufacturer buy-back so keep that in mind

This one doesn't quite fit in to the buy back law. The first two times it was in for fuel filling up the crankcase via a leak at the rails, both times were under a thousand miles on it. Then it was good for about a year until 20k, the radiator started leaking. While it was in for that they said the rear main was leaking and it needed the bed plate replaced. Then it was all good for a while, until this disaster. I know not every 6.4 is this problem prone, I just like to poke fun at the 6.4 guys because they talk so much chit on the 6.0LOL

06powerstroke

Reaction score
6.4 guys don't need their cab on velcro to change head gaskets along with the engine oil every month. Or EGR coolers.

:D

Guess what? Just had another trip out to the desert for the first. Upon starting the 6.4 to leave, the check engine light came on and the wrench light too. It was running rough too. Luckily it cleared up and made it home, but it's back to Ford for the 5th time now!! My 6.0 towed a 30ft toy hauler once again perfectly without an issue. When I started this thread I was just poking fun at the 6.4 guys, now I am really done with this POS truck, actually considering looking at Chevy DRW's...

FYI, I head up to the desert at least 4 times a year and every time I tow a 30ft weekend warrior with my 6.0 and my Dad or my bro tow a 40ft fifth wheel with the 6.4. So they have done equal miles towing. Twice since 08 the 6.4 hasn't made it, the 6.0 has never had an issue...

Last edited:

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
I was pulling your chain... Relax.

Every brand/model/engine has a problem child or two.

Although, I wouldn't buy a Chevy. You won't like it.

powersmokin64

Reaction score
I couldn't really tell you myself. We have a really good ford diesel tech in our area and I try and pick his brain every chance I get. he told me that he sees more major repairs in the 450's and 550's than he does in the 250's and 350's. i asked because there was a guy in front of me complaining about his 550 on its second motor at 20k, his business had two of them and they both suffered motor replacements. I am sure someone on here could add to that dilemma.

Latest posts

Members online