6.4 at Ford for the 4th time now!

06powerstroke

Reaction score
I think your tech is an idiot. Knock on wood mine has been fine and i drive it hard and pull even harder.

:whs:

Once again it has been to different dealers. How is it the tech's fault that an injector got stuck open? How is it the tech's fault the rear main leaked? How is it the tech's fault the radiator leaked? How is it the tech's fault the fuel rail cracked? How is it the tech's fault 2 more injectors just quit working? I think you get my point. Stop ragging on these people for the crap that came out of International. I can see why Ford went to an in-house engine.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Small update on this. Check engine light came on last week again and it was down on power. Went to Ford again, 2 more bad injectors! That's 3 total in 60K. That makes it, 2 rear mains, a bedplate, engine block, pistons, one cylinder head, 3 injectors, fuel rail, 1 glowplug, a radiator, and the seals between the turbos in the 3 years I've had this truck. My 6.0 has had a turbo and a water pump (was leaking) in 5 years and 90k miles... Yes I'm bringing it up again because I am pissed at this 6.4 and the good reputation it somehow has.

I know, but it's really hard to back up Ford in an argument or consider a 6.7 when its been such a pile...

That's not the issue, it's been to two different dealers and the second one has multiple diesel techs. It's not my "maintenance" or driving habits either because my 6.0's been great! Just thought I'd point that out before someone brought it up.

I think highlighted above points to something other than mechanical stuff.... 2 rear mains? Most trucks never need one? And a bedplate?! Honestly who the hell screws up a bedplate?! lol. Im not at all blaming you, but I dont see ALL of this being faulty ford parts.... I agree that you got a lemon truck, but the circumstances following it point to something other than parts.

Im no statistician, buuuutttttt...........................

06powerstroke

Reaction score
I think highlighted above points to something other than mechanical stuff.... 2 rear mains? Most trucks never need one? And a bedplate?! Honestly who the hell screws up a bedplate?! lol. Im not at all blaming you, but I dont see ALL of this being faulty ford parts.... I agree that you got a lemon truck, but the circumstances following it point to something other than parts.

Well, I'm not sure why they said it needed a bedplate. I brought it in for the rear main leaking and they said it needed the bedplate too, and I did not question it. It lasted about 30k then started leaking again, I ignored it until the injector wiped out the motor. I should have ditched this truck when the rear main started leaking the first time, which was at about 16k. Considering that the first rear main barely made it year, can I really blame the second one on the tech, or the block/crank?? I would agree the tech sucked if the first one made it 200k, and then the new one only lasted like 10k...

Last edited:

Atsah

Reaction score
This truck is a good example why I ALLWAYS get an oasis report before I buy something like this POS..

me2

Reaction score

I'm guessing that his engine had a leak for a while and the diesel in the oil had something to do with the rear main leak. Maybe diesel in hot oil attacks the seals or maybe the crankcase pressure goes up when its over full. The bedplate replacement was probably to try to solve the rear seal issue.

I have an 08 6.4. The last time I changed oil about a gallon more came out than went in. I'm watching it closely.

me2

Reaction score
Small update on this. Check engine light came on last week again and it was down on power. Went to Ford again, 2 more bad injectors! That's 3 total in 60K. That makes it, 2 rear mains, a bedplate, engine block, pistons, one cylinder head, 3 injectors, fuel rail, 1 glowplug, a radiator, and the seals between the turbos in the 3 years I've had this truck. My 6.0 has had a turbo and a water pump (was leaking) in 5 years and 90k miles... Yes I'm bringing it up again because I am pissed at this 6.4 and the good reputation it somehow has.

I have a Cummins 6.7 sitting in my garage to deal with this exact situation. I have 3 guys waiting to buy the 6.4 in my truck because they blew theirs.

The 08+ trucks are very nice. I love my KR. But I don't trust that 6.4 any further than I can throw it.

06powerstroke

Reaction score
I'm guessing that his engine had a leak for a while and the diesel in the oil had something to do with the rear main leak. Maybe diesel in hot oil attacks the seals or maybe the crankcase pressure goes up when its over full. The bedplate replacement was probably to try to solve the rear seal issue.

I have an 08 6.4. The last time I changed oil about a gallon more came out than went in. I'm watching it closely.

I do think the diesel in the oil was the root cause of the first rear main, second one I'm not sure...

Latest posts

Members online