6.4 at Ford for the 4th time now!

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Exactly. Those trucks are geared with 4.88's, and at normal highway speed they are seeing almost three grand on the tach. Hold that steady for a while, and see what happens to your cooling system for starters.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

06powerstroke

Reaction score
This truck almost never sees the highway unless it's towing. When it's towing it does 60 mph max... I don't even care if it does sit a 3k, shouldn't need the motor pulled at 20k for a bedplate and an whole new engine at 60k. That's unacceptable...

Last edited:

06powerstroke

Reaction score
Exactly. Those trucks are geared with 4.88's, and at normal highway speed they are seeing almost three grand on the tach. Hold that steady for a while, and see what happens to your cooling system for starters.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

See what happens to the cooling system? I don't get what your getting at. Truck has never seen over 220, my 6.0 has seen 240 when I pushed it way too hard towing on a race tune (this is back when I was new to diesel and stupid) and it doesn't need a new engine!

Rene G

Reaction score
Really? Why is that? I thought the 450's and 550's were down-tuned slightly to last longer, but I can see how that turned outLOL

I've got a few reasons, hired drivers, prolonged city driving with no chance to regen, drivers who don't care/ don't know about diesels, ect...

Robmamba

Reaction score
Some have problems some don't. More likely to to have problems the longer you keep the rpms higher for long periods of times. You could stay under 2500rpm. But 450 550s are ment to carry all the time. So that could be a factor. A weak injection pump will cause crazy prolonged regens. A city truck up and down on rpms while in regens can cause problems in the long run. 6.0s aren't any better . So don't go wishing you had one. I pulled my engine out at 8k in my 06. My 08 been beat the **** up no issues. How do you take care of it. To many factors

06powerstroke

Reaction score
Some have problems some don't. More likely to to have problems the longer you keep the rpms higher for long periods of times. You could stay under 2500rpm. But 450 550s are ment to carry all the time. So that could be a factor. A weak injection pump will cause crazy prolonged regens. A city truck up and down on rpms while in regens can cause problems in the long run. 6.0s aren't any better . So don't go wishing you had one. I pulled my engine out at 8k in my 06. My 08 been beat the **** up no issues. How do you take care of it. To many factors

It's very well taken care of, same care as my 6.0. Oil every 5k, all maintenance done when it's supposed to. Regens aren't an issue because it had a DPF delete, but was running STOCK power tune. Most of it's miles are towing, but it does do some city driving. This truck is drivin like a baby. I know there are solid 6.4's out there, just like my 6.0 has been near perfect. Just fed up with mine and decided to vent it out while poking some fun at the 6.4 lover/6.0 hater group...

Robmamba

Reaction score
It's very well taken care of, same care as my 6.0. Oil every 5k, all maintenance done when it's supposed to. Regens aren't an issue because it had a DPF delete, but was running STOCK power tune. Most of it's miles are towing, but it does do some city driving. This truck is drivin like a baby. I know there are solid 6.4's out there, just like my 6.0 has been near perfect. Just fed up with mine and decided to vent it out while poking some fun at the 6.4 lover/6.0 hater group...

I hate all internationals. Hope you get it figured out and fixed right

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
See what happens to the cooling system? I don't get what your getting at. Truck has never seen over 220, my 6.0 has seen 240 when I pushed it way too hard towing on a race tune (this is back when I was new to diesel and stupid) and it doesn't need a new engine!
What I meant by that is when they are held at higher rpm's like that most of them show cavitation in the front covers. Have seen a couple of fleet trucks that ate THROUGH the front cover to only fill the crankcase full of coolant. Have pulled many apart that looked like they had been shot with a load of birdshot behind the impeller.

06powerstroke

Reaction score
What I meant by that is when they are held at higher rpm's like that most of them show cavitation in the front covers. Have seen a couple of fleet trucks that ate THROUGH the front cover to only fill the crankcase full of coolant. Have pulled many apart that looked like they had been shot with a load of birdshot behind the impeller.

Yea that makes sense...

06powerstroke

Reaction score
Small update on this. Check engine light came on last week again and it was down on power. Went to Ford again, 2 more bad injectors! That's 3 total in 60K. That makes it, 2 rear mains, a bedplate, engine block, pistons, one cylinder head, 3 injectors, fuel rail, 1 glowplug, a radiator, and the seals between the turbos in the 3 years I've had this truck. My 6.0 has had a turbo and a water pump (was leaking) in 5 years and 90k miles... Yes I'm bringing it up again because I am pissed at this 6.4 and the good reputation it somehow has.

Last edited:

06powerstroke

Reaction score
You just have a bad truck.
I know, but it's really hard to back up Ford in an argument or consider a 6.7 when its been such a pile...
:whs: Sounds like a bad tech too.

That's not the issue, it's been to two different dealers and the second one has multiple diesel techs. It's not my "maintenance" or driving habits either because my 6.0's been great! Just thought I'd point that out before someone brought it up.

Reaction score
Even having a good tech doesnt promise your vehicle to not break down. You can install and help prevent some issues, but there are some things that do have to do with the customer(and ford...more ford) lol. hope your truck get fixed up too.

Latest posts

Members online