6.7 Twin Turbo Setup

Kind

Reaction score
And this is where Dan showed he was a gay homosexual. As for the "we work 7 days a week up here " , sucks to be you.

There is plenty of people that think this way up here. If you don't work 7 days a week you're a loser to most up here. It's pathetic. On top if that most younger people up here do act this way when it doesn't go their way.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Say the average CNC machine is 100,000$. And each 6.7 turbo kit profits 750$, they need to sell 133 kits to pay for the machine.... I'm pretty sure it would pay for itself pretty quick... Not to mention all the other products they could make and have available quickly.

We have 2 Hass CNC Machines.

They spend 95% of their time machining flanges and plates for our 6.4 and 6.0 EGR Delete kits to keep up with demand from my dealers. We make 1200 kits every 2-3 months and always sell out before our inventory is replenished.

I know most people dont realize this, but the money isnt made on turbo kits, or on big builds.

Its made on general repairs and repair items. IE, EGR deletes, our stainless elbows, our race pipes, 6.4 up pipes.

Those are the gravy items, they sell no matter what because they are consumeables.

Those are the jobs that keep the shop running like a well oiled machine, the builds are honestly more of a hassle.

They are GREAT exposure when they go well, but custom work has so much time involved to make it perfect, that its not a huge money maker. Dan Schoenfelders harley truck was crazy custom stainless work, and I can honestly say I made less than 10% on the overall deal. But the truck runs great, and looks great, and Dan's happy.

Its all about keeping a balance between what makes you money, and what gest you exposure.

jcain

Reaction score
Machine shops are called that for a very specific reason. Because they employ the correct personnel and equipment to specialize in that realm of business. When you start wanting to buy and use sunnen machinery, it gets real pricey.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
at some point as a shop, you say, "hey, this guy has more money than sense... he's ready to fund a high dollar exotic build NOW, so let's go ahead and pump it out, push the tech/performance envelope (6.7 vs. 6.4) on somebody else's dime"

so I can understand how he ended up ahead of a few people, and I'm sure he paid a front of the line fee whether he knew it or not...

but then that more money than sense thing has him hot-lapping highway rolls on the bottle at a mile+ altitude on a high strung/untested setup because he works all the time and is letting off steam but doesn't really grasp how this whole hot rod thing ACTUALLY works...

so he trashes a motor and wants to dive in and spend the money all over again. BUT, that R&D/tech/pushing the envelope/pushing older projects aside is all for nothing because he burnt the thing down. You can't afford to drop everything and risk it being all for nothing again, so you focus on the older (trucks and customers) stuff because it's the right thing to do and just makes good sense

so, you say, "alright, let's try again, but dude, we're backed up... it'll be August at the EARLIEST before we can even touch it"

as soon as August is up, the pissing and moaning starts, and you can see where this is headed (as you can see where it went with two other shops and again with your own)

so you go ahead and eat the front money on the new project and hand it back and wash your hands of the whole cluster

amirite?

CATDiezel

Reaction score
The Interesting part to the big horsepower boys is the fact they built their engines/drive trains themselves.

The majority of big hp boys do their own work.

superpsd

Reaction score
I have been a CNC repair technician for about 8 years now and 100k does not go very far in the land of CNC Machine tools.

stacked6.7

Reaction score
Well first of all 750 is not random. MPD makes 900 on their kits so I was thinking conservatively... And it's a CNC not a rocket ship. You can teach someone very quickly to program the templates you want cut out and just let the machine cut all day (I know I've done this, very simple). And your right!! They never paid for electricity before!!! Now they bill is going to go through the roof!... Morons... So I didn't at the machinist (I would assume the owner would want to play with his own machine), cost of electric(1bazillion dollars), and maintenance.( another bazillion dollars).

superpsd

Reaction score
I think that's the entry price just to look at the catalog, yes? 😃

For a smaller sized machine the initial price isn't too bad. What adds up is the maintenance, repair parts, labor hours for repair and service, expensive cutters....

bricewise

Reaction score
Well first of all 750 is not random. MPD makes 900 on their kits so I was thinking conservatively... And it's a CNC not a rocket ship. You can teach someone very quickly to program the templates you want cut out and just let the machine cut all day (I know I've done this, very simple). And your right!! They never paid for electricity before!!! Now they bill is going to go through the roof!... Morons... So I didn't at the machinist (I would assume the owner would want to play with his own machine), cost of electric(1bazillion dollars), and maintenance.( another bazillion dollars).

I will be patiently waiting for Stacked6.7 diesel performance to become a sponsor on here. You sound like you got all your bases covered. I bet your a master welder too?

dsberman94

Reaction score
What? You mean I can't just go buy a few used Hass machines, hire a few illegals, and then set up shop. Well my dream is sunk.

The illegals want to live the "American dream," but do we ,as Americans, even know what it is? Lol

Somewhere, Erik is laughing his ass off watching Dan melt down.

I was thinking the same exact thing. Surprised he hasn't said anything yet.

dstryr

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks running a CNC shop is cake...I got one for sale. 12 machines....2 5 axis and 1 horizontal with a full 4th. Accepting bids now!

bricewise

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks running a CNC shop is cake...I got one for sale. 12 machines....2 5 axis and 1 horizontal with a full 4th. Accepting bids now!

My final offer is 250 of stacked6.7 turbo kits. Take it or leave it

jcain

Reaction score

Gilroy k? Gilroy? I lived out at aBetabel rv park for quite a while. Oh the garlic...

Latest posts

Members online