Airbags - Lets discuss

VanoFord

Reaction score
So I am thinking of adding an airbag kit to the truck to help w/ DD stability, and also level out loads when I actually have them. I've read up on Air Lift and Firestone, but wanted your guys' opinions that already have them installed.

There was one kit, that offered a Kneeling option, w/ a toggle right on the bumper to allow easier access in/out of the bed. but I cant remember who makes this or the part #'s. any info would be great.

also, let me know what you guys did for air supply. did you just buy a Commander kit, or make something up on your own. Thanks!!!

BlueOx

Reaction score
So I am thinking of adding an airbag kit to the truck to help w/ DD stability, and also level out loads when I actually have them. I've read up on Air Lift and Firestone, but wanted your guys' opinions that already have them installed.

There was one kit, that offered a Kneeling option, w/ a toggle right on the bumper to allow easier access in/out of the bed. but I cant remember who makes this or the part #'s. any info would be great.

also, let me know what you guys did for air supply. did you just buy a Commander kit, or make something up on your own. Thanks!!!

Can't go wrong with a Firestone setup. I ran them on my 6.0 and never had any problems with them. I didn't run an onboard air supply, but I've heard their complete kits are a good option for the cost.

Sent from the wild blue yonder....

Redman920-06 350

Reaction score
FIRESTONE Parts are more readily available, and most of their kits are a no drill. I sell them at work. PM me with your truck and I can quote ya. It can get expensive if you want to run the on board compressor gauge ext. If you have access its more cost effective to just run a shredder valve by your license plate.

Marty

Reaction score
I have used and installed several Firestone kits.

I prefer the under frame to axle kit as I use custom rails for my 5th wheels in all of my trucks.

I have onboard air with one of my trucks, the other two I just use them as tag bolts in the rear and can fill up anywhere easily.

08forddr

Reaction score
I have firestone also with on board compressor. Kit was easy to install the longest part was trying to figure out where to mount the compressor and hide the air lines. Mine our mounted inside the frame rails and it is not in the way of my fifth wheel hitch. Can send pictures in needed.

Last edited:

VanoFord

Reaction score
Im in for this as well, considering air bags.

well hopefully we'll both be ready for an install at the same time as one another and just knock this out together since we're locals.

So since Firestone is what everyone is already saying (and I was leaning) do you guys think the R4 Tech is worth all that coin, or should I just get some FS bags and on-board air and roll out?

08forddr

Reaction score
I would say stick with firestone. That is what is on most of the big rigs out there. When my fifth wheel is loaded up, it is about 12000lbs and it works out good.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I've had Firestone airbags in the rear of my truck for over a uear and a half now I love them. they fit perfectly and a ride excellent loaded or unloaded I would definitely recommend them to anyone. I just have the manual tire valve for inflation/ deflation. Never wanted to mess with the compressor, tank and all the lines/plumbing/wiring.

Last edited:

c.jank

Reaction score
well hopefully we'll both be ready for an install at the same time as one another and just knock this out together since we're locals.

So since Firestone is what everyone is already saying (and I was leaning) do you guys think the R4 Tech is worth all that coin, or should I just get some FS bags and on-board air and roll out?

Well wheels and tires are first for me... how about you do this then ill get my kit and bring it over and a 12 pack and we will be good to go since youll be familiar with install!

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Can you lighten up the rear springs for a better ride/better offroad and add bags to compensate for when you tow, load the bed?
That is what I did on my 04. Worked great.
I had Airlift kit on my 04 if I remember right and I have Hellwig on the the 08. Both kits were good. I like the Hellwig better though.

Hammer Down

Reaction score
I have dealt with firestone bags and ive always been happy with them. one thing i would strongly consider looking into are the airbag cradles from daystar. they cup the bottom of the bag so you get all the load carrying ability but it doesnt bolt the bottom of the bag to the axle. i have installed a bunch of them and im sold. mine will have them when i do bags for sure. if for nothing other than peace of mind when the trucks on the hoist. im sure most of you have seen bags stretched to their limit while a truck is on a hoist. with these no worries.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Godzilla has ride rites. Inside the frame mount. Had to modify my 5" exhaust , but they work awesome. With 12000 bumper pull they work with ease. My 60ft times I think hot better with them as well. Had on board air but always fought leaks so I dumped it.

Reaction score
I have the airlift kit on mine with on board air. Kit was like $300 with mail in rebate. Went on easy and works great. No complaints so far. Been on about a year. Also installed same kit on my buddies 04 dodge 2500. He loves it pulling his 5th wheel camper.

Lugger007

Reaction score
I haven't put air bags on my new truck yet, intend to though. But my '10 f150 I traded in, I had Firestone airbags, auto levelers on each bag, 2 compressors and a tank.

System worked great. Took some time to wire and plumb the system, but it was well worth it. And it was cool too.

The complete system made towing and hauling much easier. It was Also nice being able to fill tires and run nail guns occasionally off the system.

It wasn't cheap, but I'd recommend Firestone air bags and viair compressors all day long.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.