Airbags - Lets discuss

footlong70

Reaction score
footlong, i dont even know where to begin.

yes, if you pressurize a bag with one end free, it will blow itself apart.

daystars, imo, are not for a 4 link with bags setup. that being the case, you will have daystars in a normal ride-rite set-up for example, as a replacement for the lower mount.

now, that being said, if you need 50 psi in your bags for whatever reason, it stands to reason that your loaded with something.

that being said, if your loaded, why would you come off the ground?? why would you be in a position that the bags would over stretch??

having never had a bag set up on my pick up, i'm making a few assumptions in those statements. though having bags in the semi, and hooked up with a gross of 80k, and my bags have 50 psi, is the knowledge i base those statements from.

that is all, carry on.

Yes I understand that. What I'm getting at is any bag regardless of setup ride-rites or a air ride setup can not be pressurized and nothing to hold the bag together. So yes your ride rites are will be damaged too if air is not drained prior. My concern is so many people drive around with 30+ PSI unloaded just out of convenience or laziness. Not everyone knows you have to drain a bag before removing all the resistance.
But yes my main point was directed toward full air ride setups, not ride rites.

Zmann

Reaction score
just to get it out there

I can't comment on a 4 link using a non retained bag like the Daystar system it seems iffy ?

for Me I used to just not bolt the bottom of the bag because I was always working on the trucks suspension and twice I lifted the frame and forgot to unbolt the bags so they lifted they were in turn trying to lift the axle

neither time did they explode even with full psi but it's not ideal

I only went to the Daystar after I watched the video and thought those would be nice to guarantee the bag lands properly when off road

I also agree offroading is typically done with the minimum 5 psi

Last edited:

simonton6.4

Reaction score
just to get it out there

I can't comment on a 4 link using a non retained bag like the Daystar system it seems iffy ?

for Me I used to just not bolt the bottom of the bag because I was always working on the trucks suspension and twice I lifted the frame and forgot to unbolt the bags so they lifted they were in turn trying to lift the axle

neither time did they explode even with full psi but it's not ideal

I only went to the Daystar after I watched the video and thought those would be nice to guarantee the bag lands properly when off road

I also agree offroading is typically done with the minimum 5 psi

So you have the daystars? Or am I miss reading your post

simonton6.4

Reaction score
Comments on a parallel vs triangulated 4 link?

I imagine triangulated is for the offroad crowd and probably not for a DD setup?

Triangulated is going to be stronger and no need for a location bar.

Parallel your going to get more articulation (up and down) out of it but you have to have a locating bar so leads to rear steer and less flex for lack of better words.

Both have there advantages and disadvantages just depends on what your end goal is if your looking for more flex go triangulated but you'll have to deal with figment issues and binding

Last edited:

sixmassive

Reaction score
I have the FireStone bags and the Airlift onboard Air with the gauge mounted under the flip cup-holders. No issues after 4 years.
My only gripe is the way they sit on the axle. they have an arch that depends on the weight/pressure to keep them on the axle. I've caught them hung up on the blocks a few times.

Redman920-06 350

Reaction score
I have the FireStone bags and the Airlift onboard Air with the gauge mounted under the flip cup-holders. No issues after 4 years.
My only gripe is the way they sit on the axle. they have an arch that depends on the weight/pressure to keep them on the axle. I've caught them hung up on the blocks a few times.

?? Im pretty sure there's supposed to be bolts in top and bottom, or a clip on the bottom...are you sure these were installed correctly? (Im not saying you messed up but Im concerned their not on properly)

sixmassive

Reaction score
Im sure there was a bracket and the Douche nozzle who swapped my traction bars to the PMFs lost them.
image-1.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Redman920-06 350

Reaction score
thats not even CLOSE to right! Dear lord... I suggest making a bracket off of your spacer block (weld or bolt) to keep that sucker in place, Its putting improper load on your axle tube..NOT GOOD MAN.

08forddr

Reaction score
This is my set-up inside frame rail firestone with on board compressor. Pmf stage 2 traction bars.

20130525_104517-1.jpg

20130525_104520.jpg

20130525_104524.jpg

sixmassive

Reaction score
HA! Awesome. I had a feeling it got ****ed up somewhere. Never payed attention to it until last month. My axle is pretty mangled as it is. Had a set of fabtechs welded to the axle rip off once before.
Meh, i'll just order a new Bracket kit or something. I have that ghetto squat for a bit next time i really tow

plausible hype

Reaction score

Zmann

Reaction score
How exactly do they install? Send me some pics of it Randall.

you unbolt the lower portion of the bag and let it hang then u bolt the cradle into the hole the bag used to be in

now the bags are sometimes not perfectly centered to the mounting hole
and it's no big deal normally but when you have the bag unbolted it's best to center the daystar cradle even if you need to adjust the mounting hole in the lower bracket

1304dp_02%2Bapril_2013_parts_bin%2Bdaystar_airbag_cradle.jpg

Latest posts

Members online