All those from Montana... Post up!!!

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm from the south west cornor of the state. I moved to Utah after getting an engineering degree from Montana Tech. I'd love to move back, but there is'nt really any good jobs back home right now.

On the bright side I'm loading up the family and heading to the wife's families' cabin in Wisdom(aka the klondike) tomorrow for a week of screwing off. Which reminds me....I better get a little #1 diesel in dillon before I head up. Its always nice to go home.

Sweet!! Glad you took the time to post... Wisdom used to be a good place to go Elk hunting.. We were going to go. But we talked with some guys that always go out there and they said the elk numbers are pretty low.. They were told by the locals the wolves have been puting a hurting on the elk numbers.. along with tha hared winters..

caladash

Reaction score
A little off topic but are there any good vacation spots up there that you locals would recommend? This thread got the wife and my minds going and a little trip up there wouldn't hurt after I get out of the marine corps. Some place not very touristy would be awesome!

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Yep everyone in the family pretty much got skunked this year....frickn wolves!!

We whent elk hunting about 3 miles or less from the Idaho Border. I did not see ANY elk.. I have a cusian that guides out there. AND he told me they were having a Hard time finding game this year... That would have been in the tomson falls area.. Noxan, heron, right around there..

A little off topic but are there any good vacation spots up there that you locals would recommend? This thread got the wife and my minds going and a little trip up there wouldn't hurt after I get out of the marine corps. Some place not very touristy would be awesome!

In the wester part of the state?? or eastern,, OR central???

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
No idea!! What do you recommend? We are both from upstate New York and lived in the Hudson valley. We miss the mountains!!

In the mountains. It is always a little cooler in the summer.. BUT a little warmer in the winter.. The only draw back in the mountains is you can't see very far!!! And it seems like it is always raining in the summer. In some parts. and they get lots of snow in the winter.. This is the part I like. :D
All around the mountains are sweet.. I just personally like to see... But if you are from upstate new York you would be used to the trees. Just to throw this out there.. My Mom was from upstate new York.. not sure were though..

In my book the central part of the state is nice!! If you find the right spot you can see the mountains off in the distance. and you have the open prairie along with scattered shrubs at places.. Along the Judith River is some of the nicest country in Montana.. And the same with along the Missouri River.. As long as you stay west of the Fort Peck lake, IMHO you will love it.. But to far north up along the Montana High Line. closer to Cut Bank and Browning you can get some WIND I am talking 70+ MPH!!! I love the country there just not the wind..

The Eastern side of the state goes from Plains to rolling hills to the Missouri River Breaks.. Then a little farther south you hit the more Breaks down around Baker and Ekelaka.. Nice country. but to much sage for my taste...

Y'all should just head out this way some summer and take a tour of the state of Montana. And at the same time Go to Yellow stone park and Glacier national forest.. To be honest.. I have NEVER been there yet.... LOL Never took the time to..

Personally the Western side of the state would be the best place to look.. I would like to move farther west if i could.. Over hear in the eastern part it is getting busy and quit crowded... to much oil activity..

I hope this helps some... The best way to decide would be to just come out and take a look..

DoubleL

Reaction score
OK I'll bite. I'm pretty much just the lurk and learner type, kinda quiet I guess. I'm from Nashua (Glasgow area) and got PMS pretty bad I would say. Have two 7.3's which is definately not good for the pocket book. Have had a 99.5 cclb for about 8 years and just recently bought a e99 rcab to start tinkering on.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
OK I'll bite. I'm pretty much just the lurk and learner type, kinda quiet I guess. I'm from Nashua (Glasgow area) and got PMS pretty bad I would say. Have two 7.3's which is definately not good for the pocket book. Have had a 99.5 cclb for about 8 years and just recently bought a e99 rcab to start tinkering on.

Welcome to the site!!! Thanks for posting up... You are about 2 hours and 45 minutes from me.. I drive through that area two to four times a years...

When you say "PMS" do you mean Powerstroke Motor syndrome???

DoubleL

Reaction score
It's "Powerstroke Modification Syndrome" haha. I actually work a type of field service and frequent the Scobey, Plentywood, Dagmar, Grenora, Zahl areas. All over the place.
My wife's maiden name is Guenther (Dagmar area). small world.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
It's "Powerstroke Modification Syndrome" haha. I actually work a type of field service and frequent the Scobey, Plentywood, Dagmar, Grenora, Zahl areas. All over the place.
My wife's maiden name is Guenther (Dagmar area). small world.

Yes it is a very small world!!!

We have Guenther's for Freinds...

Sounds like you work in my stomping grounds...

YoungMT Hick

Reaction score
Ok well grew up in Miles City, left there in the 6th grade (~2000) and then gradutaed high school in Laurel. Left Laurel in summer of 2007 for the Navy and am currently in NY will be coming back to MT in June while on my way to Washington state. I hop to retire back in Montana more near Bozeman. Looking forward to being able to hunt again. Will be able to come home for July 4th in Laurel (Biggest Firework Show in the NW). I can wait to be back in the west dont care much for NY.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Western MT here. Bitterroot valley to be exact. Lived in MT for 5 years and have wanted to be up here since I was a kid growing up in Kansas. Lived in Great Falls for 4 years, then over here south of Missoula for a little over a year.

Great state as long as you a good job/career. Not so great if you're looking for work!

Haven't been on the forums much lately and just noticed the new sections.

Mud digger

Reaction score
I've lived in Great Falls for almost 3 years now. Originally from Missouri (don't miss it at all!). I'm a mechanic in the Air Force.

Strokersace

Reaction score
One of my friends (older guy) was a diesel mechanic at the base. Ran into him last summer when I was over there for a wedding and he said he retired last year. Allen is his 1st name. Good guy. And a powerstroke guy to boot!

Mud digger

Reaction score
Allen Hill? He's a great guy, one of my best friends took his spot in the shop when he retired. I also know a lot of guys that elk hunt with him, he has quite an elk camp from what I hear.

Last edited:

Strokersace

Reaction score
That'd be him. Yeah, I've heard that elk camp is pretty awesome. I've known him since I was a kid. His wife's family too. Consider all of them very good friends. Good peeps for sure. They're horse people so spent alot of time with them in the summer over the years.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
I've lived in Great Falls for almost 3 years now. Originally from Missouri (don't miss it at all!). I'm a mechanic in the Air Force.

I'm a mechanic in the air force too. I know most of the civilians in the shop there at Malmstrom. Good friends with . Mr. Parenteau

Sent from my EVO 3D on the East Side

DoubleL

Reaction score
UH Diezel Dawg, I'm from Glasgow and married to a Guenther (but I'm 39 for reference). Actually from Nashua, but it's only 200 people so we usually just tell people we're from Glasgow cuz it's such a big city (2000 people on a sunny day). What was your great grandparents' names? if you don't mind.

Later