ANYONE have good results from the Steed Speed Manifolds yet?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Are the guys at MPD weekend warriors?

The gate is one of the variables that seems to be a common factor with trucks that don't perform well. It is also something that can be adjusted to completely change the way the truck spools. As it is the only piece of hardware aside from the VGT timing that can be changed then it gets my attention. If I do a test with the gate opening before the first turbo is fully spooled and then claim the manifolds are the problem am I right?

The guys at MPD haven't done any testing. When you change 4 power adders at once can you honestly say the trucks performance is simply from the steeds?

I'll get to the rest of your post this afternoon. Think this will make a good discussion. And don't take me the wrong way either, I want a set for my truck but I can't afford to lose power and until it's figured out as to why Mike's truck did what it did, I'm on the sidelines

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
The guys at MPD haven't done any testing. When you change 4 power adders at once can you honestly say the trucks performance is simply from the steeds?

I'll get to the rest of your post this afternoon. Think this will make a good discussion. And don't take me the wrong way either, I want a set for my truck but I can't afford to lose power and until it's figured out as to why Mike's truck did what it did, I'm on the sidelines

What you are missing here is I have done tons of these setups I know what a truck does with what setup and how it spools and drives and with steeds in our case they are better than 6.0 manifolds that we have used on some kits

Now this is non Vgt setup maybe it's different i just still don't see how a manifold built so well could hinder performance maybe not make more than stock but I can see a huge lose unless something else is wrong that you guys haven't found yet

Reaction score
Manifolds

The last truck we did was a 2008 Excursion , with stock turbos in place we had great results , this was done with the first design manifolds from Leen, using our 2.5 pipes and hogging out the turbo housing is the key here.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
on mikes truck the gate was not an issue. it was never changed between tests, I made certain of it. I do agree that the gate and vgt vanes can be a hard variable to deal with though. Glad to see you working with guys to improve your product though leen. Hopefully it gets nailed down what the issue is and we see some good results.

Wayne

Reaction score
Leen: what you need to understand about the wastegate situation, is that it doesn't even come into play until at least 35 psi of boost after the Vgt controller is commanding the veins to open as much the tuning allows. The gate in almost all setups simply dumps excess back pressure to keep the turbos in their efficiency range. The gate has NOTHING to do with spool-up. It does however usually have an effect on peak power for the best when properly adjusted (which it was on Mike's truck).

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
I would think different manifolds and up pipes may require a little bit of dialing in a gate from where it was previously. Esp considering how these manifolds may be higher flowing and you may see difference in bp numbers with them being a larger diameter. I wouldnt expect to be able to swap manifolds and and be able to keep the gate setting the same.

madman1234509

Reaction score
You cant really do apples to apples in that scenario with some thing that has a variable such as a waste gate, that needs to be adjusted with changes. If you did two tests back to back on a truck that had the gate closed, or no gate then it would make more sense. Or back to back with the gate properly adjusted for each setup.

To do a test on a setup with the gate dialed in to its fullest potential, then change something like manifolds/up pipes that could change velocity, back pressure, and not dial the gate in to its fullest potential on that set up is not apples to apples....

Was either set of up pipes wrapped or ceramic coated to keep the heat in/velocity up? That could be another factor...

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
You cant really do apples to apples in that scenario with some thing that has a variable such as a waste gate, that needs to be adjusted with changes. If you did two tests back to back on a truck that had the gate closed, or no gate then it would make more sense. Or back to back with the gate properly adjusted for each setup.

To do a test on a setup with the gate dialed in to its fullest potential, then change something like manifolds/up pipes that could change velocity, back pressure, and not dial the gate in to its fullest potential on that set up is not apples to apples....

Was either set of up pipes wrapped or ceramic coated to keep the heat in/velocity up? That could be another factor...
Yeah but Bp was still the same. And when gate was adjusted it was on a completely different tune , in which the boost is STILL down 2-4 psi with Bp being the same. No matter what spool up is suffering as well as whp.

BFT

Reaction score
The problem is not the manifolds. It's the turbo. Different size up pipes for every different size turbo's openings. The manifolds will allways be in the same place but the turbo may not be, or different turbo height. The big problems lies in the up pipes.

I had these very same turbos on my truck. The turbos sit in the factory location. Only difference from factory is the VGT is a 62 and the atmo turbo (or low pressure turbo) is a 76 BB from precision.

The atmo turbo was sent to precision to get a look over and changed out all seals at my request. When we did the swap on mikes truck the turbos were and are good to go

On edit- I'm sure tadd and leen can get this resolved. I say everyone just cool their heals and we will know soon enough.

And don't start to name drop vendors. I already see unwanted sh!t brewing here.

Last edited:

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
The last truck we did was a 2008 Excursion , with stock turbos in place we had great results , this was done with the first design manifolds from Leen, using our 2.5 pipes and hogging out the turbo housing is the key here.

How do you know that the 2.5" uppipes and hogging out the turbo housing is the answer to get good results? Did you try it with smaller uppipes and not hogging out the housing? Just woundering how you came to the conclusion that this is what makes these manifolds shine? Just looking for an honest answer. I have the manifolds already and the 2" uppipes and did not put them on yet because of all this.

Reaction score
Manifolds

We have done this with three different trucks, 2 with stock turbos, and 1 with batmowheels. All with the same 2.5 in. pipes and good results. Don't know about any other turbo set up at this time, we have not done any. Talking with Leen, we decided that 2.5 pipes would work the best, now this will may very with different set ups, it is just a matter of finding what works best.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.