Anyone interested in a DYI Billet 66mm OBS-E99 Kit

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
sure, a year after i get out of my 7.3, and into my 6.4, all this new turbo stuff comes out, and the rest of the 7.3 world is picking up farther.

fking people. :D

still, like my 6.4 better, but i would still buy all this neat chit for it if i still had it.

NRHX2009

Reaction score
sure, a year after i get out of my 7.3, and into my 6.4, all this new turbo stuff comes out, and the rest of the 7.3 world is picking up farther.

fking people. :D

still, like my 6.4 better, but i would still buy all this neat chit for it if i still had it.

Dont feel left out, I can mod the **** out of your 6.4 turbos :grouphug:

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
I assure you it will not. If I build them or you guys do the build your self. (properly). I will try to come up with some install instructions, as the 360 thrust may confuse some...

Well I hope so. Ill be watching. Im sure you plan to back all your stuff as well as let the test trucks get PLENTY of miles before selling the hell out of these kits. Not trying to tell you how to go about your business, just dont want another Comp Turbo episode.

NRHX2009

Reaction score
Comp used junk parts, and thats a fact. I purchased 3 comp turbos 2 years ago and all 3 failed within a month after purchasing. Poor quality or something...

This turbo conversion kit / complete turbo will be no different internally, than I know of anyway, than what Beans is using, their turbos seem to be just fine.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Comp used junk parts, and thats a fact. I purchased 3 comp turbos 2 years ago and all 3 failed within a month after purchasing. Poor quality or something...

This turbo conversion kit / complete turbo will be no different internally, than I know of anyway, than what Beans is using, their turbos seem to be just fine.

As far as the comp wheel?? Or the internals???

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
i recently did business with James, and he is a stand up guy in my book. quick on responses and knows what he's talking about.

recently sent my turbo in for a billet wheel and a larger housing. he kept me updated every step of the way, and informed me when it would go out the door.

Marty

Reaction score
It does help from being lighter. less weight means faster spool up, And less stress on the turbo shaft.. Not to mention billet wheel are more precise then steel wheels, and most of the times are machined to flow more then a cast wheel... There is more then one reason they are better.. just depends on how they are built..

Identical wheels, a billet wheel will be heavier then a cast.

Less weight does mean faster spool up, if they are identical wheels.

Billet refers to being made out of "one piece" which can be steel, aluminum, etc...

Billet wheels are typically made to be stronger then cast wheels and come in different designs. That's the main benefit.

NRHX2009

Reaction score
Identical wheels, a billet wheel will be heavier then a cast.

Less weight does mean faster spool up, if they are identical wheels.

Billet refers to being made out of "one piece" which can be steel, aluminum, etc...

Billet wheels are typically made to be stronger then cast wheels and come in different designs. That's the main benefit.

I beg to differ.... The billet wheels I am using are made from a Lightweight A2000 Alcoa Aluminum.

I have weighed bullseye billet wheels in the past that Are heavier than the cast version, which will hinder spool time.

The billet version of the WWG2 for the Stock SD turbos is MUCH lighter than the cast version.

NRHX2009

Reaction score
Should be better but you're still using a stock turbine wheel and exhaust housing?

For the OBS turbos I will be using the stock turbine and 1.15 housing.

For the E99's that I build in house will have the 69mm exducer van turbine vs 67mm SD turbine, with a 1.00 or 1.15 Non wg housing, per customer needs.

NRHX2009

Reaction score
on the DIY kit, that is totally up to the customer which turbine housing/wheel combo they want to use. On a mostly stock - stage 1 injector e99, I suggest the stock .84 or 1.00 housing.

1.15 and a 66mm wheel, can be pretty laggy on a stock injector truck.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Identical wheels, a billet wheel will be heavier then a cast. I have never seen this.. all the ones I have seen have been lighter..

Less weight does mean faster spool up, if they are identical wheels. Could you explain this???

Billet refers to being made out of "one piece" which can be steel, aluminum, etc... You are right... the picture showed a Billet aluminum wheel

Billet wheels are typically made to be stronger then cast wheels and come in different designs. That's the main benefit. Another good reason..

Everyone will say something different... The turbo builder i have talked to ALL say the Billet aluminum wheel size for size is lighter and flows more air the the stranded cast wheel... A lot has to do with the design of the wheel... Hence i said this...

There is more then one reason they are better.. just depends on how they are built..

Sorry for the derail NRHX2009!! I will stop here now.... I like what you are doing... Keep it up!!!

BDP Sales

Reaction score
For the OBS turbos I will be using the stock turbine and 1.15 housing.

For the E99's that I build in house will have the 69mm exducer van turbine vs 67mm SD turbine, with a 1.00 or 1.15 Non wg housing, per customer needs.

Gotcha, so a D66 w/ a billet wheel? Sounds familiar

billetd66_zpsea78067b.jpg

NRHX2009

Reaction score
Everyone will say something different... The turbo builder i have talked to ALL say the Billet aluminum wheel size for size is lighter and flows more air the the stranded cast wheel... A lot has to do with the design of the wheel... Hence i said this...

Sorry for the derail NRHX2009!! I will stop here now.... I like what you are doing... Keep it up!!!

I agree with your posts 100% Different profiles is where the flow benefits are.

NRHX2009

Reaction score
As far as the comp wheel?? Or the internals???

Well one the ball bearings internally failed and the wheels ate the housings, the second one, shifting from 1st to second, a piece of one tubine blade went jingling out the tailpipe, and the 3rd one the compressor housing v band broke off when i tightend the clamp up, so I just gave up...

Latest posts

Members online