build thread: year of the 7.3s

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Checked it out and haven't found anything mechanically wrong with motor or injectors yet. Going to compression check it this weekend. Contribution failure is showing on 1 and 8 but it's not following any injectors. Tuning has smoothed it out a lot so far. That tune the video was taken in was one of the first tunes written for the truck. Will find out more this weekend

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Don't take the cct to heart. On a freshly rebuilt engine I think if the dozens of cct tests done maybe 2-3 came back with no code.
I've come to realize its what to expect with 200%+ nozzles.

Fwiw. My motor has "failed" at least one cylinder since day 2. It now has 35k and 50+ passes at the strip (knocks on wood).

Not going against Dave. As he's probably forgotten more then I know. But on my cell phone. To me it just sounds like too much icp at idle.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Honestly I'm thinking it's tuning related in the video. As I said, it was the first tune wrote for the truck and with further changes its pretty smooth. Still has a little chop but each tune is getting better

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Not going against Dave. As he's probably forgotten more then I know. But on my cell phone. To me it just sounds like too much icp at idle.

I thought he was taking about the in cab video, sounds like a mis fire

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

golfer

Reaction score
I thought he was taking about the in cab video, sounds like a mis fire

for sure.

6-7 seconds into the video, as soon as the truck moves/revs...dead miss.

idle actually sounded ok, LOL...lots of ICP, but other than that...dead miss when accelerating.

tuning isn't going to fix that.

Reaction score
I agree. Under load there is an obvious miss. I don't see how that could be cured via tuning changes, but I've been wrong many times before. I would be testing injector circuits and checking compression asap.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
for sure.

6-7 seconds into the video, as soon as the truck moves/revs...dead miss.

idle actually sounded ok, LOL...lots of ICP, but other than that...dead miss when accelerating.

tuning isn't going to fix that.

To me you can hear it in the upper rpm as well

njjeep

Reaction score
Sorry to hear I also installed windows 7.3 recently. Hopefully you decide to build it back up but with a stronger bottom end this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I'm looking at either a 12v swap or completely built motor. I figured it'd blow, just didn't know how long. It lived a very hard life for the past 20k miles.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.