build thread: year of the 7.3s

m j

Reaction score
Well got the motor out tonight and began to dig in it. Looks like the rod just pulled itself apart on the down stroke. Will have the heads off later to look closer. Also had to order a billet flexplate since I've gone through them like crazy.

thats 2 breaks the same way in a very short time span.
what springs are you using? how much seat pressure on the exhaust springs?

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Running a comp cams beehive spring. I don't remember seat pressure specs, I know they are good to handle way more than what I'm doing with them.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Well I dug into the motor more tonight. Found one lifter that was completely destroyed, probably what was causing my miss fire. Glowplug from the cylinder that broke was pretty tore up and barely came out of the head. But I have the new motor pretty much assembled. Just waiting for the flexplate and time to dick with the motor mounts.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I'll have to together in the next week and hopefully get to make some passed. Considering it pulled really hard only running 7 cylinders I'm excited to see what happens when it uses all 8

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well I dug into the motor more tonight. Found one lifter that was completely destroyed, probably what was causing my miss fire. Glowplug from the cylinder that broke was pretty tore up and barely came out of the head. But I have the new motor pretty much assembled. Just waiting for the flexplate and time to dick with the motor mounts.

No probably about it... half the lifter was/is MIA! LOL.

live life full throttle

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
It's going back with a stock forged bottom end for now. After looking into the motor it didn't look like a straight up power failure. I have a buddy with a spare pmr block that I'll use to build a motor slowly. As long as I get the motor mounts swapped next weekend I should have it running by Sunday night, then I have to put some heat cycles on the new head gaskets and maybe take it to the track the following weekend or so. I'm trying to have it ready for the ennis nhrda races.

ghohouston

Reaction score
It's going back with a stock forged bottom end for now. After looking into the motor it didn't look like a straight up power failure. I have a buddy with a spare pmr block that I'll use to build a motor slowly. As long as I get the motor mounts swapped next weekend I should have it running by Sunday night, then I have to put some heat cycles on the new head gaskets and maybe take it to the track the following weekend or so. I'm trying to have it ready for the ennis nhrda races.

that or its gonna be one screwed up sight having a 6.0 towing a 7.3 with blown head gaskets :pointlaugh:

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Be a sight to see having the 6.7 towing a 6.0 and 7.3 with blown hgs. Just need a 6.4 with cracked pistons to throw on there too and have the trifecta lol

Latest posts

Members online