build thread: year of the 7.3s

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Motor is back in the truck. Was a little too late to try to get it started. Will get up in the morning and get it going. Hopefully it runs right, as it is I don't think it'll be ready for the ennis nhrda race. I'm a little sketchy about having fresh hgs on a truck that has this much potential and pushing it anytime soon. Tho the guys that know me all know it'll be at wot by the end of the week for some reason.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Heat cycles, heat cycles, heat cycles.. keep boost low, just enough driving to get it to operating temps.. the more you can do that the better its gonna be.

live life full throttle

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I can probably get a good amount of heat cycles in it over the next 2 weeks before ennis, but tuning wasn't 100% before it let go. Getting the heat cycles in it wouldn't leave much time for tuning before the race.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
That's my plan. Let it warm up and cool off before work then between driving it to and from work and lunch it should get 4-5 heat cycles a day

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
That's not too hard with the 75mm just cruising to and from work it won't get over 10psi. I figure a week of daily driving it I can probably get 25-30 heat cycles into it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That's not too hard with the 75mm just cruising to and from work it won't get over 10psi. I figure a week of daily driving it I can probably get 25-30 heat cycles into it.

Good deal.. hope that cures it.. ive seen guys with fire ringed heads blow gaskets and some go out upon first startup and hone on the bich and be just fine.. not necessarily all in the 7.3 world either.. well I think there is one video of a red super duty 7.3s break in run thats floating around..

live life full throttle

Reaction score
If they blew head gaskets that were fire ringed something was done incorrectly. They have a steel ring sealing combustion if machine work is done right and installed correctly they won't blow

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Man, when I broke in the ol girl I did a bit of farting around for a few hours. Dumped the oil and cut the filter open (fresh rebuild).

Fresh oil and filter, drove 20 min and hooked up to 8500lbs and found a 3 mile long 8% grade and let her eat at 2800rpm the whole way up...

Did that run a few times that night lol.

Gotta seat them rings

01platinum

Reaction score
Wish I could find the video of Elmo's Orange truck engine break in before DHRA in Baytown. Was awsome. Started the truck backed it out of DI and did the biggest burn out ever. Haha Then sled pulled and drag raced it the next day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Wish I could find the video of Elmo's Orange truck engine break in before DHRA in Baytown. Was awsome. Started the truck backed it out of DI and did the biggest burn out ever. Haha Then sled pulled and drag raced it the next day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Ive seen that vid! I think hrt has a motor break inn on a transfersled like that lol.

live life full throttle

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Never understood the whole " New hg" scare...motors are rebuilt, bought to warm up temps, then have the tits poured to them for hours... If you are running 100 psi that's one thing... But 40-50? Idk

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Never understood the whole " New hg" scare...motors are rebuilt, bought to warm up temps, then have the tits poured to them for hours... If you are running 100 psi that's one thing... But 40-50? Idk

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk
Well the truck has seen upwards of 70 psi with 300/200s, never saw what it'd fully do with the 400s but it made 60psi on 7 cylinders. I'd also rather not break it as quick this time, so I'll baby it and get some heat cycles. It'll probably get pushed more in the next week. I want to see how it does before I take it out to run in an 11.9 index and get beat out quick.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
i would not let it Idle to do heat cycles. You need to get them rings seated right.

Work it a little that one of the best things you can do to help seat the rings.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.