Carli vs Icon 2.5 level kit

azdbllung

Reaction score
want to find out which kit provides a better ride. Im not going to use the leaf packs on either kit, so take that out of the equation. Basically, which spring provides a better ride? What are the differences in the ride between the 2? I currently have a 6 inch lift and its simply not practical for my needs at this time, so i want a good 2.5 level kit.

c.jank

Reaction score
i would venture to say theyre the same progressive springs with different names slapped on the box. with different components. i had the icons on my 3.5" PMF alpha series. I liked it alot. everything was well built for a great price. The bilstein 5160s rode great in combination for about a month then the ride went to crap. Had a few other people with the same experience with bilsteins.

azdbllung

Reaction score
i would venture to say theyre the same progressive springs with different names slapped on the box. with different components. i had the icons on my 3.5" PMF alpha series. I liked it alot. everything was well built for a great price. The bilstein 5160s rode great in combination for about a month then the ride went to crap. Had a few other people with the same experience with bilsteins.

What shocks did you end up going with this round? or do you still have the bilsteins?

TripleE44

Reaction score
What shocks did you end up going with this round? or do you still have the bilsteins?

He ended up back down lower than stock. I'm the other person that had the same setup as him with the icons and the 5160s and all the other PMF parts. I finally had enough of the bilsteins and got the fox shocks out of the carli commuter kit. They're worlds better. Nice and soft.

I'd be inclined to say to just go with the carli kit. If their coils are as great as their shocks you couldn't lose. But I would recommend going with the PMF 3-link and traction blocks/bars to just take the truck to the next level. I'm convinced that factory radius arms are a huge issue for the ride of our trucks.

azdbllung

Reaction score
He ended up back down lower than stock. I'm the other person that had the same setup as him with the icons and the 5160s and all the other PMF parts. I finally had enough of the bilsteins and got the fox shocks out of the carli commuter kit. They're worlds better. Nice and soft.

I'd be inclined to say to just go with the carli kit. If their coils are as great as their shocks you couldn't lose. But I would recommend going with the PMF 3-link and traction blocks/bars to just take the truck to the next level. I'm convinced that factory radius arms are a huge issue for the ride of our trucks.

What wheel size and offset are you running?

azdbllung

Reaction score
I ran a BMF 22x10.5 -24mm on a 35/12.50 toyo mt. didnt have any rubbing issues at all.

Nice. Ya i have a 6 inch lift now with 37s and its just not practical for my needs now. Especially with a 8 month old, its hard getting him in and out with a big lift. I want a nice ride now. I was planning on getting the 20x10 -24 but didnt know if they stuck out too far or would grab too many rocks and ruin the paint job. I have 35 toyo mt in the garage, waiting for wheels

TripleE44

Reaction score
What wheel size and offset are you running?

35x12.50 on a 20x10 with -24mm offset. LOL

The second pic is kinda deceiving but it's like sometimes they look far out there and sometimes hardly at all.

a9a1f5f3ef3bb3a390e8d4a583d5195e.jpg

44b486804780f921a3221630819a36ab.jpg

79ab3d1ce2e102b06cc020d3d8481319.jpg

MorganM

Reaction score

That's really interesting. From looks alone, the aftermarket radius arms say they would transmit more NVH into the cab/ suspension/ steering wheel; whereas, the factory versions use giant rubber bushings to absorb it all.

Do you sense more noise or vibration with the PMF arms?

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score

I don't think the springs are the same.

smokinstroker

Reaction score

False. They are not both the same springs.

This info has been posted quite a few times. And the springs, shocks etc have all been discussed.

Each one will bet a different ride when with a different shock.
It's all about pairing things accordingly.

Last edited:

TripleE44

Reaction score
That's really interesting. From looks alone, the aftermarket radius arms say they would transmit more NVH into the cab/ suspension/ steering wheel; whereas, the factory versions use giant rubber bushings to absorb it all.

Do you sense more noise or vibration with the PMF arms?

The main thing I've noticed when you do away with the factory radius arms is they don't do that whole thing when you're braking and hit a bunch of small bumps and the truck almost feels like it's drifting sideways, or the back ends trying to come around. Just seems like the factory radius arms aren't letting the axle do what it really needs to, and I'm betting that also results in a better ride. I'm no engineer or anything, but I believe it enough that my last truck and my current have had a 4 link and now a 3 link(respectively) and I'll keep buying one or the other as long as I own superduties.

No noise as long as you keep them greased, and no vibrations that I notice more than normal.

azdbllung

Reaction score
False. They are not both the same springs.

This info has been posted quite a few times. And the springs, shocks etc have all been discussed.

Each one will bet a different ride when with a different shock.
It's all about pairing things accordingly.

Well which one provides a smoother ride? Carli with fox shocks or the icon with icon shocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Well which one provides a smoother ride? Carli with fox shocks or the icon with icon

I can't speak exactly for "smoother" as everyone has a different idea on that.

I can say the carli springs have a spongier spring rate compared to the icons
The carli shocks are also very forgiving with the valving on the rebound causing them to not be to harsh while cruising around town.

The icon springs are not harsh by any means and are a great choice, but they are a tadd stiffer (some people like this as it does feel more controlled in some situations)
The icon shocks as they come are relatively stiff for some people's everyday driving. But are not a bad choice by any means.

All depends on what ride your looking for.

RedRice589

Reaction score
I can't speak exactly for "smoother" as everyone has a different idea on that.

I can say the carli springs have a spongier spring rate compared to the icons
The carli shocks are also very forgiving with the valving on the rebound causing them to not be to harsh while cruising around town.

The icon springs are not harsh by any means and are a great choice, but they are a tadd stiffer (some people like this as it does feel more controlled in some situations)
The icon shocks as they come are relatively stiff for some people's everyday driving. But are not a bad choice by any means.

All depends on what ride your looking for.

That's why I went with icon I drove hard and with a load on so I like the stiffer ride. Nice firm and stable.

Layson

Reaction score
I'd like to see a real comparison between the two kits. Lot of Carli guys change out to the smaller wheels and also run lower tire presssure. Just changing the wheel size and under inflating your tires can be as drastic of a change as changing suspension components.

So I would love to see a real comparison.

Latest posts