Carli vs Icon 2.5 level kit

RedRice589

Reaction score
I'd like to see a real comparison between the two kits. Lot of Carli guys change out to the smaller wheels and also run lower tire presssure. Just changing the wheel size and under inflating your tires can be as drastic of a change as changing suspension components.

So I would love to see a real comparison.

But how are you going to compare something that's so adjustable and personally preferred by each individual..... IMO that's hard to compare.

Layson

Reaction score
If you are not running bypass shocks and just get the basic kits it is easy to compare.

Layson

Reaction score
They have to be very similar springs. You could probably just change the shocks.

RSK

Reaction score
I'd like to see a real comparison between the two kits. Lot of Carli guys change out to the smaller wheels and also run lower tire presssure. Just changing the wheel size and under inflating your tires can be as drastic of a change as changing suspension components.

honestly I'd say changing wheel size and under inflating a tire or inflating it to the recommended psi can make a bigger difference then changing coil springs and leaf springs and switching to carli/fox shocks, which i did then went from nitto 420's in a 33 on 22" rim to a 35" toyo mt and honestly it rides a lot worse airing the toyo's down to 50psi helped tremdously but they still don't ride as good as the nitto 420's. I know an all terrain would ride better but doesn't look nearly as good... i'd say it rides a little better then with the rancho's that had 103k on them....the carli progressive rate coils made a big difference in body roll, but the toyo mt's took whatever i gained by switching to carli/fox shocks, honestly it feels like they were a waste of 640 dollars. oh well. they look sweet at least! I hope changing to carli add a leafs helps a lot, because the rear is stiff but it is an f350 so it expected.

Last edited:

smokinstroker

Reaction score

I have done a side by side comparison.

Same truck, same wheels, same tires.

Went from icon coils to carli coils (same shocks were used)
Icon coils again with different shocks, and carli coils again with the new shocks.

I like to think that's about as close to a direct comparison between the two as your going to get, as it was on the same platform, same truck, with same accessories and setup each time.

azdbllung

Reaction score
I have done a side by side comparison.

Same truck, same wheels, same tires.

Went from icon coils to carli coils (same shocks were used)

Icon coils again with different shocks, and carli coils again with the new shocks.

I like to think that's about as close to a direct comparison between the two as your going to get, as it was on the same platform, same truck, with same accessories and setup each time.

What were the results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokinstroker

Reaction score
What were the results

The carli springs were "spongier" than the icon springs. They seem to show a "softer" ride but have a hair more body roll. When paired with a good tunes shock they ride expeditionally well but they are a soft spring.

The icon is also a very good spring but seems to have a "tighter" feel and a good way to describe it is less of a bounce due to the stiffness. This is a ride many that tow often or have extra weight on the vehicle are looking for.

c.jank

Reaction score
The carli springs were "spongier" than the icon springs. They seem to show a "softer" ride but have a hair more body roll. When paired with a good tunes shock they ride expeditionally well but they are a soft spring.

The icon is also a very good spring but seems to have a "tighter" feel and a good way to describe it is less of a bounce due to the stiffness. This is a ride many that tow often or have extra weight on the vehicle are looking for.

Nice to know, thanks

miscott

Reaction score
My 2011 with Carli 2.5" Fox Commuter 2.0's Stock rims wrapped with 35/12.5/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers. Seems like more body roll than stock, but could be due to the increased height. Can barley feel the whoops on the freeways now.
IMG_20140719_070317_945.jpg

IMG_20140719_070333_734.jpg

azdbllung

Reaction score
I bet it has more body roll because you lifted the front without getting offset wheels, I would guarantee the body roll would decrease with the tires sticking outside the fender.

Layson

Reaction score
Soft springs and open shock valving greatly increases body roll.

azdbllung

Reaction score
Man, wish I could get clear direction on what to buy..I don't want a ton of body roll but I don't want a rock hard ride with icon...

RedRice589

Reaction score
Man, wish I could get clear direction on what to buy..I don't want a ton of body roll but I don't want a rock hard ride with icon...

It's not rock hard at all it's firm and secure. I love it and I'm running no offset with a toyo 35 m/t all the roll is from the tires. Handles like a dream.

RedRice589

Reaction score
Are you using the icon shocks?

Yes I have icon shocks front and rear with icon springs. It's firm absorbs all the bumps I hit and it takes rougher ones I've came across in the past couple days really well too. I'm happy as hell. It's definitely nicer with a trailer on than it used to be as well.

Agjake11

Reaction score
Icon doesn't ride hard at all. Icon springs with just 5100's on all corners and it's a huge improvement over stock. I've rode guys from work in my truck and they notice how good it rides immediately.

azdbllung

Reaction score
Icon doesn't ride hard at all. Icon springs with just 5100's on all corners and it's a huge improvement over stock. I've rode guys from work in my truck and they notice how good it rides immediately.

Is there a big difference between the 5100s and the fox 2.0 ifp shocks? Using the icon springs

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
I was just in this debate about 2 weeks ago on Icon vs. Carli. I went Carli coils since I want a soft ride (coming from very stiff RCX). I'm looking for night and day difference and I was afraid Icon might not be a big difference from where I already was. I don't tow, but if I did then I would have definitely gone Icon.

I was also in the shock debate, and I really wish I had seen this thread before I ordered what I did. I went with custom valved Bilsteins, and after some more reading I really wish I had gone Fox now. The price difference for Fox over Bilstein isn't that much more.

I don't have anything installed yet, so I can't provide any ride feedback. OP, I can completely understand where you're at though. If I knew what I do now then, I would say Carli and Fox.

Latest posts

Members online