Coilovers

NotStock

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, you have the 5100 series of Bilsteins. If so, there are definite improvements to be had simply from upgrading the shocks. The Icon coils are good coils, I wouldnt change them up to coilovers if it were my truck. The other problem you run into is travel with a coilover in that size of lift.

TripleE44

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, you have the 5100 series of Bilsteins. If so, there are definite improvements to be had simply from upgrading the shocks. The Icon coils are good coils, I wouldnt change them up to coilovers if it were my truck. The other problem you run into is travel with a coilover in that size of lift.

I've got just the base Icon's. When we were figuring out my lift I had a friend of a friend that was supposed to give me an awesome deal on some nice Fox shocks, but he flaked and I ended up just getting the Icon's from a local shop instead.

As far as the coils vs coilovers that's kinda what I was thinking. It just seems like I'd be able to get just about the same thing from a coil and a shock, and the travel thing is something I've heard as well.

What do you think about going with and adjustable shock like the Icon Omegas? I obviously don't have too much suspension experience, but would I be able to figure out how to tune it how I like it through trial and error and limited knowledge of adjusting MX bikes?

DFW64

Reaction score
Before you throw parts at it, might I suggest an alternate option.

Put a camera on the suspension, go drive it and see what you find.

We don't live to far apart, I would be willing to lend you my kodak playsport and mount.

I also know the 4 wheel parts in Fort Worth has a HD GoPro that they would be willing to setup and help troubleshoot. Probably not for free, but I don't think the price is too bad.

Twinturbostroker

Reaction score
Now that I have a better understanding of what's going on, I would definitely replace the shocks before you did anything major. Trevor is right there are definite improvements with just shocks.......Icon Omega's would be a good choice, by they are expensive

BBottoms

Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading shocks for the same reason as the OP. I've currently got Rough Country shocks that were on the truck when I bought it. What's everyone's opinion on the Bilstein 5160s? They don't sting the wallet as much as the Icon Reservoir shocks, but if the ICONs are that much better then I'm all for "buy once, cry once".

Zmann

Reaction score
on the buy once cry once ideal

I think the warranty is better on the Bilstein I know on my Rancho adjustable shocks it's awesome
icon is a year ,, and the last thread I was reading the shocks needed rebuilt after 2 years
so the truck was down while that gets done ,, or keep your old ones for spares

TripleE44

Reaction score
Before you throw parts at it, might I suggest an alternate option.

Put a camera on the suspension, go drive it and see what you find.

We don't live to far apart, I would be willing to lend you my kodak playsport and mount.

I also know the 4 wheel parts in Fort Worth has a HD GoPro that they would be willing to setup and help troubleshoot. Probably not for free, but I don't think the price is too bad.

I might have to try that. I've got a gopro knockoff somewhere I think...

Now that I have a better understanding of what's going on, I would definitely replace the shocks before you did anything major. Trevor is right there are definite improvements with just shocks.......Icon Omega's would be a good choice, by they are expensive

They are definitely expensive at about $800 each. That's kinda why I was wondering if them being adjustable will be wasted on me not really knowing what I was doing, or if its something trial and error would be able to teach me.

I'm considering upgrading shocks for the same reason as the OP. I've currently got Rough Country shocks that were on the truck when I bought it. What's everyone's opinion on the Bilstein 5160s? They don't sting the wallet as much as the Icon Reservoir shocks, but if the ICONs are that much better then I'm all for "buy once, cry once".

Exactly, I don't wanna buy em again either. Those 5160's are definitely easier on the wallet for sure, but those and another better set later would just be frustrating. I feel like the Icon 2.5 Res shocks are more comparable to those than the Omegas, but they're still double the price...

Layson

Reaction score
That description sounds pretty bad. Has it been like this since you lifted it? Or is something that progressively got worse?

Are you sure you don't have blown shocks? If you don't than you probably have something going out or something related to your suspension geometry. Do you feel it at all in the steering wheel?

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
I agree with Layson. Sounds like blown shocks by your description of the hip dips and how the truck keeps bouncing. Are the base icons rebuidable?

Garrett

probably getting paid at work to post this from my bionic

TripleE44

Reaction score
That description sounds pretty bad. Has it been like this since you lifted it? Or is something that progressively got worse?

Are you sure you don't have blown shocks? If you don't than you probably have something going out or something related to your suspension geometry. Do you feel it at all in the steering wheel?

It's not terribly bad, I know it sounds that way with my description, but I think I just want to improve it. When I first got the lift, I came from a 2.5'' spacer up front and I remember thinking how much better it rode. Steering wheel stays straight for the most part, the long flowy bumps can sometimes get it to move some, but I also don't have a stabilizer at this moment still.

I'm starting to think you might be right on the blown shock(s). Now that I'm noticing it'll dive on dips to the passenger side I'm kinda thinking that's really the issue. Nothing going on in the back really bothers me enough to matter at this point, its the front right now that I'm concerned with.

How would I go about checking for a blown shock on these?

NotStock

Reaction score
The 5160 series is a great shock for someone looking for something between an all out Bypass type shock that comes with the $500+ price tag. For the guys that are on the street most of the time with the occasional dirt road etc the 5160 will perform very well. Where the higher end shocks really start to shine is when your really getting with it offroad or extremely poor sections of road. They also perform better over a longer period of time. Normal shocks will heat up and you will loose alot of performance. This is where resi and bypass shocks stay more consistent.

Layson

Reaction score
It's not terribly bad, I know it sounds that way with my description, but I think I just want to improve it. When I first got the lift, I came from a 2.5'' spacer up front and I remember thinking how much better it rode. Steering wheel stays straight for the most part, the long flowy bumps can sometimes get it to move some, but I also don't have a stabilizer at this moment still.

I'm starting to think you might be right on the blown shock(s). Now that I'm noticing it'll dive on dips to the passenger side I'm kinda thinking that's really the issue. Nothing going on in the back really bothers me enough to matter at this point, its the front right now that I'm concerned with.

How would I go about checking for a blown shock on these?

You could probably just pull it off and see how much resistance it has!

BBottoms

Reaction score
on the buy once cry once ideal

I think the warranty is better on the Bilstein I know on my Rancho adjustable shocks it's awesome
icon is a year ,, and the last thread I was reading the shocks needed rebuilt after 2 years
so the truck was down while that gets done ,, or keep your old ones for spares

The warranty on the 5160s is only 90 days, but the 5100s are lifetime.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/search-service/warranty.html

Twinturbostroker

Reaction score

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
Is there a schrader valve on those shocks? Can check the pressure in them if so. Couldn't tell from the website.

Garrett

probably getting paid at work to post this from my bionic

07powerstroke91

Reaction score
Its funny how with shocks (among other things) its just never enough. I mean $200 per shock is already ridiculously expensive considering a normal shock is like $35. But then there's people with $800 shocks. Are they REALLY 4 times an improvement over an already good $200 shock? Maybe so, but I just find it hard to believe.

TripleE44

Reaction score
Its funny how with shocks (among other things) its just never enough. I mean $200 per shock is already ridiculously expensive considering a normal shock is like $35. But then there's people with $800 shocks. Are they REALLY 4 times an improvement over an already good $200 shock? Maybe so, but I just find it hard to believe.

It's definitely expensive, but if they weren't worth the $$ people wouldn't be buying them. Think about the guys with coilovers and then the $800 shock mounted up next to them.

My thing is I spend a lot of time in my truck. At least 45 minutes each way to and from work depending on traffic, then if I have customers to go see I could spend another couple of hours out driving. If it costs me an extra $1000 to not be irritated that's fine by me. Look at it this way, would you spend $5 per day for 200 days to have your truck ride as good as it possibly could? A lot of the roads and highways around here are under construction and aren't exactly smooth. Back roads are even worse.

I'm still not completely sold on the $800 shock, as the 2.5 resi may be more suitable for me, but it's still on the table for sure.

TripleE44

Reaction score
So in my searching I've found truck toyz offers a king 2.5 resi with an option for a compression adjuster for an extra $200. They come out to a little under $600 per shock, which is a little less than the icons.

Can someone explain the difference between a bypass with adjusters, and a resi shock with an adjuster?

Twinturbostroker

Reaction score
So in my searching I've found truck toyz offers a king 2.5 resi with an option for a compression adjuster for an extra $200. They come out to a little under $600 per shock, which is a little less than the icons.

Can someone explain the difference between a bypass with adjusters, and a resi shock with an adjuster?

Well to put it simply the compression adjuster is a user friendly adjustable shock to where you can make the ride either softer or firmer by simply turning the red knob by hand, think of a Rancho 9000, just x100 better LOL......

A external by-pass shock is the ultimate when it comes to shock performance, as you can fine tune the ride of your truck by not only being able to soften or firm up the rebound and compression stroke, but you can do it separately. You can also adjust each to change at different points through out the shocks range of travel.....make sense? While this may be the best type of shock you can get, it can be a pain in the ass to dial in and due to the valves long the shock body, as it doesn't in very many OEM locations

Latest posts

Members online