constant light smoke

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
As all of you have seen i've made multiple posts about my truck "hazing" at idle and such. It's wayyyy worse in the winter when its "cold" down here. Which is Fl, coldest it'll get is maybe 35 over night. Anyways, lately i've noticed once the truck is hot and i drive to school and park it for an hour or two for class then go to leave it'll start smoking when waiting in traffic to get out of campus. Truck hazes when started cold in 90* weather.

It's not a heavy smoke, grayish with MAYBE a hint of blue if any. Smells like fuel. Injector o rings are basically brand new from when i did studs. Doesn't miss, cranks up fantastic. injectors are FFD with about 40k on them. Truck has always hazed since i've had them, had a couple tuners try to take care of it but its remained the same. Just recently bought a $400 beater car so once i have all of it;s issues sorted out i'll prob pull them and have them gone through. It's more annoying than anything. Think the injectors are shot?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Sounds like bad injectors when they are worn. Mine did that when they were getting close to being bad. If you have made multiple threads and havent gotten an answer, what did ff say when you sent them in to get inspected?

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
never pulled them, it's my DD so i can't. Just bought a beater car to tool around town in, so now i finally have an opportunity to send them in and not have to deal with the down time. Although P.I.S is about an hour away from me currently where i go to school.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thats your next step. There is really nothing else to say until that is done. Most likely culprit or get it live tuned. They'll either fix it or find the issue in doing so.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
i just thought of something else, when i pulled the glow plugs when i did the head studs they were all covered in a gooey black crap

V-Ref

Reaction score
Did this just start after the inj install? If the injs come back with a clean bill of health, I think the Swamps HFHV IDM idled better/cleaner than the stocker....maybe I had a "weak" stock IDM?

Swamps HFHV modded IDM idled smoother than a stock IDM for me when I was chasing this same romp. You might use this as an excuse to try one :)

Proof 200% nozzles can perform in cold weather and idle "clean".

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=902905

ghohouston

Reaction score
It could be a low compression issue. My 97 got 8 new ford injectors back in 2009ish, new fuel pump, and a new idm, and was parked till i bought it this year. Guess they never ran a compression test though, because it has more blowby that any other 7.3 iv'e seen in person. It runs good, but has just a slight miss, yet the injectors have like 1,000 miles on them, and the truck smokes about like you describe. The ****ty part is it only has 210k on the clock. The smoke will burn your eyes, but pretty much goes away once warmed up.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
no more blowby than any other 7.3 I've seen. Doesnt knock the cap off or anything. No its Had this issue since the injectors have been in the truck. gets worse when its cold out

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i just thought of something else, when i pulled the glow plugs when i did the head studs they were all covered in a gooey black crap
they shouldn't have any build up on them... if working propper then they stay burned off.. I would think your glow plugs are not working correctly.. my dually smokes white a lil no matter what time of year if the eot isnt 140° or above..

live life full throttle

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
yeah i know i need to. Just gotta get the time. Truck has 260k. Ill get a video of a start up and blowby

golfer

Reaction score
Here's a vid I just took

7.3 start up/blowby: http://youtu.be/XzAa11nMb9o

the idle definitely sounds like it has a miss.

also...the blowby...

remember you have a crankcase breather on the otttthhhher valve cover...

so unless you capped that..your video is showing exactly 1/2 of your actual blowby.

I've seen worse, but the idle isn't right..

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Idles smooth...I've noticed that with the exhaust too. CCT comes up #8 as usual. No codes etc

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Starts with the flick of the key hot or cold, except when it's down in the 40s. Yeah I need glow plugs. Doesn't miss, sputter, etc etc. I need to do the ccv mod to get the oil out of the charge system. You think it'll run the good with bad compression? Only complaints I have with it is mileage but it's on 35s and I can't keep the egts down when towing my parents boat 10-12k.

Latest posts

Members online