Cracked Piston thread

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
All these cracked piston threads are scaring me. And from the sounds of it, it doesn't matter if I run on 300hd or 125. Time will tell I guess. If it breaks, she'll be down for a while

78f100

Reaction score
I have one in hole 7 starting to crack, but not at the bowl. Its down low on the flat surface, I will try to get some pics soon.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I believe I read the bowls are a little larger on the IH pistons. Does that mean that we could run a little more timing (1-2 degrees) and slightly lengthen the PW (by about a 0.1)? I think also read they drop the compression ratio slightly...would that cause any starting difficulties in cold weather?

Danny26

Reaction score
I believe I read the bowls are a little larger on the IH pistons. Does that mean that we could run a little more timing (1-2 degrees) and slightly lengthen the PW (by about a 0.1)? I think also read they drop the compression ratio slightly...would that cause any starting difficulties in cold weather?

Good question, curious to know as well...

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Yes your should be able to run a little.more timing with a ih piston 2 degrees more is about all I would run.

The compression ratio drop is pretty much a non issue it only drops it about a half point. I had a Vid posted up of my regular cab starting in 30 degree weather no problem.

As for an update to that I.started it last week with only a single battery in it @ 14 degrees, it did struggle a bit to turn over but it started (after not starting for 2 weeks)
Once running it was pretty rough but it wasn't smoking like I have a cold cylinder, I think sitting for so long is.messing with something, eventually the thing smoothed out after about 30 seconds and still just had a haze of blue smoke. No contribution codes Ect. And this was with 100% over nozzles. I'm confident if I drove it more it wouldn't do that but it rarely gets started or driven this time of year.

The truck also has a slight lifter tick when first started so maybe the issue is a lifter I don't know. But at any rate the compression drop isn't really a problem.

jdgleason

Reaction score

Good question, curious to know as well...

Yes your should be able to run a little.more timing with a ih piston 2 degrees more is about all I would run.

The compression ratio drop is pretty much a non issue it only drops it about a half point. I had a Vid posted up of my regular cab starting in 30 degree weather no problem.

As for an update to that I.started it last week with only a single battery in it @ 14 degrees, it did struggle a bit to turn over but it started (after not starting for 2 weeks)
Once running it was pretty rough but it wasn't smoking like I have a cold cylinder, I think sitting for so long is.messing with something, eventually the thing smoothed out after about 30 seconds and still just had a haze of blue smoke. No contribution codes Ect. And this was with 100% over nozzles. I'm confident if I drove it more it wouldn't do that but it rarely gets started or driven this time of year.

The truck also has a slight lifter tick when first started so maybe the issue is a lifter I don't know. But at any rate the compression drop isn't really a problem.

:whs:

The compression change is from 17.2:1 (stock) and 16.5:1 (IH). It shouldn't be a big difference in difficulty of cold starts, but it may haze a touch more at first. I would think that gapless rings may even help with that issue in the cold. Again, just my thoughts.

NathannialD

Reaction score
How come there isn't a version for standard rods?

we had these done quite some time ago to go with different motor options, we can do them for standard rods but there would be over a 2 month lead time for production. most dont want to wait so long

Matt

Reaction score
we had these done quite some time ago to go with different motor options, we can do them for standard rods but there would be over a 2 month lead time for production. most dont want to wait so long

Wish I would have known. Any idea on pricing for a set with standard length rods?

Spatel23

Reaction score
I've always been under the assumption that forged pistons were not ideal in a daily driven diesel.
Anybody care to elaborate on why they are or aren't?

Nathan?

HD F250

Reaction score
I've always been under the assumption that forged pistons were not ideal in a daily driven diesel.
Anybody care to elaborate on why they are or aren't?

Nathan?

This is from Tadd when I asked the same question. I know he doesn't have much time so I will post his response to me.

"The HD pistons are not forged. They are a cast design. They are pretty much the strongest option for a daily driven truck. The reason being that the factory style pistons have a steel insert in the top ring position to be reliable for a long service life. Typically pistons just have an aluminum groove for each ring but with the high pressures diesels see the ring groove wears out so they use a steel insert. That is the limitation with forged pistons as there is no good way to do a steel insert so you have to run an aluminum ring groove. Over time it will wear out."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.