Cracked Piston thread

78f100

Reaction score
Here is mine from cyl 7,I haven't seen one cracking down low like this yet. It must have just started. Lower right side of piston.

2013-01-09_20-30-30_328_zpscb1e2279.jpg

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
if it matters, I drive mine hard, 24/7 in a race tune. I live in the mountains, at a decently high altitude. I tow pretty often as well, but don't beat on it when I tow.

Sent looking at my blown up 6.4

Wemoy1

Reaction score
Ahh the joys of owning a 6.4!

always something with these emission engines anymore. I might have to put off buying another 6.4 for awhile so I can save for a overhaul when i get it once ive drove it for awhile

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
I have a summet of dirt drags under my belt. No telling what temps and RPMs I was seeing but I'm sure that didnt help my truck at all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Wemoy1

Reaction score
I have one time of 2300F on the pyro before the heads were done and all pistons checked out a ok but that was 40000 ago.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
nothing should ever be that hot.

i kick my trucks ass's , but my green one let one go at 5000 miles on them , cylinder #7. there is a reason IH redesigned the piston, its weak. im sure for a daily driven cast piston the new one is much stronger than the original design, hence the redesign. how often do you see a piston change in a motor? i cant imagine anyting but good coming from it. the new mtor in my green truck has elite forged and stroker rods, the silver truck got elite coated HD's. i have no fear in either now, i worried about the silver truck having the original pistons from BFT's motor but i thought the intake manifold would keep them alive, but going to the 110's and dual pumps killed number 3, and they let go at high boost and low bp (65/67). i know heat and BP played no role because they never saw over 1500* .

now all i can do is believe in re-engineering. BTW this $hit is expensive.

Mpoage

Reaction score
This is the truck I posted about in the first of this thread.

There's a piece missing out of the piston.

20130109_174731.jpg

20130109_174927.jpg

Passenger side head is cracked on every exhaust valve. Suspecting driver side is the same way.

20130109_174846.jpg

Reaction score
nothing should ever be that hot.

BTW this $hit is expensive.

It happens, 1800 on the road in my dually with a minimax and the defuel turned off.

And on the cts in other trucks. Anytime your in a turbo limited class that pulling rules go by you will see high EGT's.

Triples, max powers, mpd compounds etc are all great ways to combat high EGT's. but the majority of people do not have those setups. Because $hits expensive!

I've got a truck here with 72/59 30% and all the intake/exhaust airflow mods you can put on one of these, with Matt's custom tunes. It will hit 1700 easy just punching it 60-80 mph with no downshift.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
It happens, 1800 on the road in my dually with a minimax and the defuel turned off.

And on the cts in other trucks. Anytime your in a turbo limited class that pulling rules go by you will see high EGT's.

Triples, max powers, mpd compounds etc are all great ways to combat high EGT's. but the majority of people do not have those setups. Because $hits expensive!

I've got a truck here with 72/59 30% and all the intake/exhaust airflow mods you can put on one of these, with Matt's custom tunes. It will hit 1700 easy just punching it 60-80 mph with no downshift.

is straight water not allowed in the classes around you?

3brorce

Reaction score
This sucks to hear. Im fine with blowing head gaskets but pistons. How many people have done a cummins conversion on a 6.4?

Reaction score
is straight water not allowed in the classes around you?

Some classes like 3.0 class have water injection. The workstock and 2.6 class have a no injectable a rule. You can run water to air cooler in 2.6 though. It's not uncommon to see a flame blowing out the stack of the big trucks when going down the track. I've seen them with the whole turbine housing glowing red all the way down to the manifolds.

The workstock class there is a lot of fuel for stock appearing turbos to keep cool, high EGT's result from that. Ask Jared rice what his EGT's are, he runs a workstock like I'm talking about.
His gauge is 1800 deg and it pegs it all they way to the bottom during a hook. 30% nozzles and a dragon fire with and 2.2-2.3 ms tune will make a lot of heat with even the best 6.4 stock appearing turbos. Most of the good running trucks will have manifolds glowing red at the end of a hook in that class too.

Reaction score
This sucks to hear. Im fine with blowing head gaskets but pistons. How many people have done a cummins conversion on a 6.4?

Just trade it on a dodge. Cummings swaps are old and played out. Do something cool and build a 6.4 or go buy a ram and give in to the cummins hype. Most people I've ever talked to that went to a cummins swap regret it.

I've worked on plenty of cummins that had problems as well.

3brorce

Reaction score
Just trade it on a dodge. Cummings swaps are old and played out. Do something cool and build a 6.4 or go buy a ram and give in to the cummins hype. Most people I've ever talked to that went to a cummins swap regret it.

I've worked on plenty of cummins that had problems as well.
Bought into the Cummins hype sometime ago bud as you might be able to see by my avatar. Also run 2 cummins trucks on the farm too along with the 6.4

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.