******d + what tire combo = quiet

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I'm looking to have the utmost quiet combo this go around with the new truck. 15 platinum.

A: I'm done with Mickey Thompson tires.... too noisy since they changed design to the hybrid all terrain/mud combo. Ran the ATZ for years but this will be the last set.

B: Strait exhaust is not in my vocabulary anymore either. I do run a MBRP Muffler on my 11... however it's still noisy.

So the question is what's the perfect combination for a nice tire and quiet exhaust. My initial thoughts are a toyo at2 in a 35-12.50-20. (Current size with the MT ATZp3's) and a huge Muffler that's not terribly restrictive. I read of guys putting a Donaldson baffled big truck Muffler in line. And truthfully those mufflers are rattle boxes in time and cheap. Anything better? I'm clueless on mufflers.

Thoughts and opinions PLEASE!

Thanks.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm looking to have the utmost quiet combo this go around with the new truck. 15 platinum.

A: I'm done with Mickey Thompson tires.... too noisy since they changed design to the hybrid all terrain/mud combo. Ran the ATZ for years but this will be the last set.

B: Strait exhaust is not in my vocabulary anymore either. I do run a MBRP Muffler on my 11... however it's still noisy.

So the question is what's the perfect combination for a nice tire and quiet exhaust. My initial thoughts are a toyo at2 in a 35-12.50-20. (Current size with the MT ATZp3's) and a huge Muffler that's not terribly restrictive. I read of guys putting a Donaldson baffled big truck Muffler in line. And truthfully those mufflers are rattle boxes in time and cheap. Anything better? I'm clueless on mufflers.

Thoughts and opinions PLEASE!

Thanks.

4" with a muffler done. as for tires .. beats me.

Nissankidd

Reaction score
I'm running a ****** pipe with a vibrant resonator and stock tailpipe. Very happy and very quiet

David1089

Reaction score
Have you looked into the aero exhaust? AT4040XL might be worth looking at. Expensive compared to most, solid stainless construction. If I'm not mistaken it doubles as a resonator also. As far as the AT2's I ran a 33/1250R20 on my half ton and I loved them. Very quiet and tread life was excellent. Also heard good things about the Toyo RT's.

jwalk09

Reaction score
******d pipe with muffler or a resonator would be the quietest. I've seen where a few people run those big Donaldson mufflers and they say it sounds stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Add an FTE resonator with your muffler and it'll be quiet as stock. I like the AT2's....they're not completely quiet but they're way better than the MT's I started with. If you want q really quiet fire you're gonna have to run a street tread of some sort.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a 4" with a Muffler now... too noisy LOL. Maybe 2 mufflers?

yeah but the 15 turbo has alot less resonation. not saying it will be up to your standards, but i always recommend to run the setup first THEN add .

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Add an FTE resonator with your muffler and it'll be quiet as stock. I like the AT2's....they're not completely quiet but they're way better than the MT's I started with. If you want q really quiet fire you're gonna have to run a street tread of some sort.

the AT2's sure look to be quiet.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Well. Looks like I'll try the FTE with standard deeleete exhaust and Muffler and see how that goes.

I guess I should have Googled it. Found 10 pages on the old nation where bbbxcursion experimented with it and Unbroken followed suit... looks like FTE for the win.

My wallet is glowing on the night stand already! Haha

Glad to here feedback on the AT2's. I put some on my brothers 7.3l a year ago but never drover it other than down the road and back. Not really a highway test.

I drive long distances when I go places so the noise gets to me. I just made a trip to Lowe's after throwing the mickeys on there and it made me MAD.... looks great but almost put the stock Michelin back on!

Last edited:

dsmracing1

Reaction score

Couldn't agree more, way too quiet for my liking when I had the muffler and 17" resonator combo. But if quiet is what you're after then that's the one...

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, way too quiet for my liking when I had the muffler and 17" resonator combo. But if quiet is what you're after then that's the one...

That's the one that! I gotta be around 72,000hp screaming all the time in one building.... I won't even put mud tires on my work Truck... would rather get stuck! Lol. I get mad at my secretary for typing too loud!! (Then she types louder)

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
Fte resonator is nice if you like quite! My Nitto g2s are very quiet on the road, I am definitely liking them over the originals.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I just love wondering if the truck is running or not. My wife loaded the kids up the other day at Sam's while I was putting groceries in and asked if I would start the truck.... (it's still stock) I said... it's already running... just turn the AC on.

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
Lol, ya mines not that quiet, but it's a 5" straight pipe with a tip. The 15 dually has the fte resonator but the engine in general is just louder than stock, not much but it is. I do enjoy driving it and enjoying the peace and quite from time to time. But then I'm ready to get back in mine and go sideways and make noise lol

sootie

Reaction score
4" exhaust of your choice with muffler and an fte resonator. The at2s are quiet as far as aggressive tires go but they do make noise. It almost sounds more like wind noise than a tire whine. With the end goal you have, it sounds like you need to do the surgical tubing mod to the door seals and throw some dynamat on the firewall and door skins.

madman1234509

Reaction score
AT2s are definitely quiet tires, and have great wear. Also the Open Country MTs are not loud at all considering the aggressive tread that is on them, they also have a great life span for what they are, got around 45k out of the last set..... You probably can't go wrong with either.

ckrueg

Reaction score
I have AT2s with 15 k and they are finally showing some wear, I bet they'll got at least 60k +. And just a very minor hum on the road. If you want an aggressive tread that's still quiet you can't beat those.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I have AT2s with 15 k and they are finally showing some wear, I bet they'll got at least 60k +. And just a very minor hum on the road. If you want an aggressive tread that's still quiet you can't beat those.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I ran toyo open country AT's on my duramax in 2007. They went exactly 55k miles. I couldn't remember the noise level on them tho. At that time I wasn't too concerned either! Thanks for the input! From everyone....

jcain

Reaction score
Went I sold my 12; the 296/65r20 at2 extremes had roughly 45k on them and had TONS of tread left. Super quiet, good towing, great in any terrain

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.