Engine won't fire

JD3020

Reaction score
Truck in sig, stock fuel/oil still. Was out running around yesterday making some tuning changes, truck was running perfect the whole time. Made a few stops and always fired right up like normal. Got home last night and the truck sat for maybe 30-40 minutes. Go out to leave again, and the thing won't fire up. Wasn't low on oil or fuel, and it was turning over fine. Changed the cam sensor and no change. It was late and dark so i let it go until today.

So far i've ran a buzz test with perfect results. Gauge shows LPO when cranking. Tach reads around 200 when cranking. ICP is around 1100psi, and DC is 30-40%. Pulled the fuel filter out and its clean and the bowl is fuel. No fuel leaks or anything anywhere. Everything checks out perfect, but its acting like it isn't getting fuel.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss.

davey99ps

Reaction score
You could try seeing if it runs off of starting fluid, just make sure you wait till after the glow plugs have cycled

JD3020

Reaction score
I don't have any starting fluid here, try to never use it on anything. I did try some WD-40 which we've used on the tractors before in the winter, still nothing. No smoke either.

Started pulling fuses and all look good, still no codes, swapped cam sensors again, unplugged ICP, sprayed some more WD in the intake, buzzed the injectors again.

Getting ready to go check the HPO res, although seeing as how its showing 1200psi and LPO on the dash i'm going to assume its full.

JD3020

Reaction score
Just went out and watched my scanguage again, ICP starts at 500 then climbs to 3500, and 46% DC. Never paid attention to ICP when cranking but i'm assuming thats not good?

JD3020

Reaction score
Yes, chip was pulled out last night.

I've got a couple IPR's laying around so i'm gonna tear it apart and throw one in tomorrow. Just frustrating because i was working on getting a daily driver tune dialed in, and now the damn thing won't run. LOL

ghohouston

Reaction score
Ipr orings most likely. I would pull the fuel filter and verify youre getting fuel and that youre not pushing oil into your fuel

JD3020

Reaction score
Ipr orings most likely. I would pull the fuel filter and verify youre getting fuel and that youre not pushing oil into your fuel

I did, fuel is clean.

Raining right now but once it stops i'm gonna go tear into it some more and swap IPR's just to rule that out. Although i'm not expecting it do anything, as my theory is if its showing ICP it should at least try to fire.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Assuming your ICP sensor is fine its not ICP related. I see 90-120psi on the scan gauge when you turn the key on, then cranking it will ramp up (along with duty cycle) until the truck starts. Mine fires off about the time it reaches 1500-1800icp.

No fuel pressure gauge?

JD3020

Reaction score
ICP sensor should be fine, i unplugged it last night and no start still. IPR still jumped up to 50% or so.

I've got a fuel pressure gauge but can't find it right now. Emptied the bowl out and it filled up with very little cranking. But i worked on a buddies truck a couple years ago that had almost 0 fuel pressure, took forever to the fill the bowl, but it'd still fire up with a bit of cranking.

powerstroke95

Reaction score
If you need a gauge just run to Advanced/auto zone and buy a cheap mechanical 100psi oil pressure gauge. Sometimes I find that buying new is way quicker than finding one I "put away" LOL

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Definitely verify fuel pressure. Just because you have volume at the bowl doesn't mean you have pressure at the injectors.

Redman920-06 350

Reaction score
My 6.0 did that once, turned out to be an oil (fitting?) to the injector pump, no oil pressure at injectors mean no run haha. I learned that one. Funny thing was it died rolling up to a stop sign from the freeway....ran GREAT until It hit idle and lost pressure.

JD3020

Reaction score
I don't think its anything like that though, its building pressure quick and holding it.

Not sure what PW is supposed to be while cranking, or if the PCM is showing desired or actual, but my scangauge is showing 0-0.4ms of PW while cranking.

JD3020

Reaction score
Got the fuel system mocked up, and by mocked up i'm powering the pump with a battery charger. LOL Haven't checked pressure yet but its got fuel to the engine. Still no fire.

One thing i did notice is that my voltage is around 10 or 10.5 before cranking, with the GP's on. Engine still turns over and shows 200rpm's, but then it starts slowing down and i lose the tach, or the tach starts bouncing. Scangauge isn't staying on either while cranking. Tried jumping it with our other truck but didn't seem to help much, gonna throw the charger on it and see what that does.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.