Front left hub noise

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Just cause 260k+ miles and being under water couple times, I'll toss these on.

Detroit Axle - 4WD Front Wheel Hub and Bearing Assemblies Replacement for Ford F-250 F-350 Super Duty Excursion - 2pc Set

No. Just ****in no. Motorcraft/Timken only. Or you will buy 5 or 6 of those cheaper unit bearings.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
10 yr warranty. Worth a shot. They take 15 mins to change
I'd give them a shot. I had a 2004 and went through them like candy. Napa had them with a 3 year warranty. They would only last a year.
Those are probably better quality then what Napa was selling 10 years ago.

At least they were quiet for a year. I did the same thing, blamed tires and everything else because the hub was new right? but it ended up being the hub every time.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I'd give them a shot. I had a 2004 and went through them like candy. Napa had them with a 3 year warranty. They would only last a year.
Those are probably better quality then what Napa was selling 10 years ago.

At least they were quiet for a year. I did the same thing, blamed tires and everything else because the hub was new right? but it ended up being the hub every time.
Yup. Nothing in a unit bearing last like oem/timken. I understand if someone is broke and facing hard times but buy once cry once and be done with it. 160k on oem or 10k on cheap shit. 🤷🏼‍♂️

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yup. Nothing in a unit bearing last like oem/timken. I understand if someone is broke and facing hard times but buy once cry once and be done with it. 160k on oem or 10k on cheap shit. 🤷🏼‍♂️
For what it's worth, just cause it says Ford or Motorcraft doesn't mean it's good. Especially on newer parts for older trucks.

Between me and my buddy's shop we've warrantied 7 Motorcraft starters in the last 2 years. Some go bad before they leave the parking lot. We started putting on o reillys stuff. Been fine.

I got these hubs in the mail today and the box was absolutely destroyed. One even smashed the connector so 2 more are coming. Lmao.

This is going to be good.

Attachments

• 20220215_171154.jpg
    20220215_171154.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 77

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
For what it's worth, just cause it says Ford or Motorcraft doesn't mean it's good. Especially on newer parts for older trucks.

Between me and my buddy's shop we've warrantied 7 Motorcraft starters in the last 2 years. Some go bad before they leave the parking lot. We started putting on o reillys stuff. Been fine.

I got these hubs in the mail today and the box was absolutely destroyed. One even smashed the connector so 2 more are coming. Lmao.

This is going to be good.
Correct. But oem bearings are timken...

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
I too feel your pain. Ordered a rear hub for a sterling and when it showed up the box wasn't that bad but it was definately bent, so I was guessing someone reboxed this bent hub.
It probably wasn't it's first trip through the mail.

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_090442650.jpg
    IMG_20200626_090442650.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 70

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Double cardon is my issue. You legit have to find the absolute perfect spot with the truck in the air to figure this one out.. I've spun this shaft a dozen times. But it's ****ered

BrewTown

Reaction score
Double cardon is my issue. You legit have to find the absolute perfect spot with the truck in the air to figure this one out.. I've spun this shaft a dozen times. But it's ****ered

Look at post 2 you jerk... Kidding of course! Man I hope that's it. Much better you find it sitting still than at 70 like I did.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Look at post 2 you jerk... Kidding of course! Man I hope that's it. Much better you find it sitting still than at 70 like I did.
Yup. The driveshaft was shortened, balanced, and new cardon a year or 2 ago and have used 4x4 maybe dozen times.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I had an issue where the inner slip shaft was hitting the back of the front u joint cause the shaft was too long. Which doesn't make sense cause the truck is lifted. So had it shortened

BrewTown

Reaction score
Yup. The driveshaft was shortened, balanced, and new cardon a year or 2 ago and have used 4x4 maybe dozen times.
When I rebuilt one, I didn't think the ball was serviceable. The socket was in the replaced center piece.
I had an issue where the inner slip shaft was hitting the back of the front u joint cause the shaft was too long. Which doesn't make sense cause the truck is lifted. So had it shortened
Do you know the history of the truck? Could the shaft have been for a Dana 50 front axle, and you have a 60? I believe they are different lengths from axle center to u-joint, 60 being larger.

BrewTown

Reaction score
Oh yeah. The ball is loose! From what I remember that should be secure to the longer portion of the shaft. That's a definite issue.
Not sure what whoever rebuilt it would say about that. I wonder if they just let it ride? Or if it isn't serviceable so a new shaft was necessary? Dunno but that needs help.

I've wondered a few times, would a CV joint there be a better smoother solution? Obviously GM thinks they are strong enough...

jschildm

Reaction score
They sell ball seat kits, I believe the spicer number is 10018440. I opted get a new yoke with the ball in it (this was on a 97, but I assume it's similar), not the whole double cardan assembly, just the portion of the yoke that has the centering ball. This fixed me up.

Latest posts

Members online