Got real mad today. Cold-started truck,POURING smoke, wouldn't go anywhere.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
musta missed it but who told you to let it warm up for thirty minute's? everyone said at least ten min..

ty, ive always ran 15/40 in my truck, even in the dead of minnesota weather at -27* actual temp, not with windchill, and have never had a problem with it starting. might not be happy about it but it has always popped off nicely. not even plugged in. the hotel i was staying at didnt allow it... but i guess to each their own. mine does exactly what the op's truck does if i dont let it warm up like i said in my earlier post...

the op's question has been answered many times but he refuses to believe it... it does it because the ***in oil is cold! but i guess that aint right.

live life full throttle

Trapper

Reaction score
Man we let or cranes and pumps idle for at least 30 mins. It's just to cold in N AZ to just take off. And they don't Chang there oil by hours. They do it by oil samples so it can be some thick stuff.

Fordguy100

Reaction score
OP

How far of a drive was it till you had to accelerate because traffic was catching up to you? Like just out of the driveway, our through some suburbs or what? And what temps are you talking about?

Extended idling also does have some drawbacks in the form of wetstacking...although high idle, EBPV, etc cut down on that (or even eliminate that worry), it also takes a long time but for the sake of arguement its a bit of a worry. Unless its way below 0*F, I dont see the need for anything more than 10 minutes. But I do like to give them a 2-3 minute idle minimum, or at least some low speed driving for a couple blocks minimum.

One thing I dont know, how long will they high idle for? Is it something that it coolant/oil temp related, as in when it gets to a certain point it kicks down? Or does it high idle until you start to drive it no matter how long?

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
@linolnlocker-i used to run 15w40 pennzoil for.240k. Truck sounded.like someone beating a tin trash.can in less than 20deg weather. I would plug it in when i anticipated temps.below ten. Not after.switching oil. It romps a.time or.two still but then it.just runs.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
@linolnlocker-i used to run 15w40 pennzoil for.240k. Truck sounded.like someone beating a tin trash.can in less than 20deg weather. I would plug it in when i anticipated temps.below ten. Not after.switching oil. It romps a.time or.two still but then it.just runs.

its all good... i was just trying to prove a point more towards the op. but yes synthetics are easier on cold starts. ive just always been in the habit of letting my trucks warm up so i dont need syn oil.

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
its all good... i was just trying to prove a point more towards the op. but yes synthetics are easier on cold starts. ive just always been in the habit of letting my trucks warm up so i dont need syn oil.

live life full throttle

Yea in -27 id probably let er sit for a bit too LOL

Arisley

Reaction score
In -27º I am letting it sit till spring time. That's one of the big reasons I live in Texas. I spent a couple weeks in Minot ND one winter. I promised myself, I would never, ever live anywhere that cold.

SDstroker

Reaction score
Andy it isnt that bad! Southern folk:blah: I made to switch to a 5w40 oil a few winters ago. I have run the ever since. When it gets that cold into the -20's I either pull it into the heated garage or plug it in.
To the OP if the EBPV is coming on the engine is trying to warm it self up. It does go off onces its warmed up. A plugged in motor sounds happier then a cold and go motor.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
i said i let my truck idle for 30 min when its BELOW 0* outside.

live life full throttle

See your post below.

musta missed it but who told you to let it warm up for thirty minute's? everyone said at least ten min..

ty, ive always ran 15/40 in my truck, even in the dead of minnesota weather at -27* actual temp, not with windchill, and have never had a problem with it starting. might not be happy about it but it has always popped off nicely. not even plugged in. the hotel i was staying at didnt allow it... but i guess to each their own. mine does exactly what the op's truck does if i dont let it warm up like i said in my earlier post...

the op's question has been answered many times but he refuses to believe it... it does it because the ***in oil is cold! but i guess that aint right.

live life full throttle

OP

How far of a drive was it till you had to accelerate because traffic was catching up to you? Like just out of the driveway, our through some suburbs or what? And what temps are you talking about?

Extended idling also does have some drawbacks in the form of wetstacking...although high idle, EBPV, etc cut down on that (or even eliminate that worry), it also takes a long time but for the sake of arguement its a bit of a worry. Unless its way below 0*F, I dont see the need for anything more than 10 minutes. But I do like to give them a 2-3 minute idle minimum, or at least some low speed driving for a couple blocks minimum.

One thing I dont know, how long will they high idle for? Is it something that it coolant/oil temp related, as in when it gets to a certain point it kicks down? Or does it high idle until you start to drive it no matter how long?

Like literally pulling out of the driveway trying to beat the traffic is what I meant.. I pulled over maybe 1/4 a mile from my house when I realized she wasn't gonna move out of the way.

Its a 40mph rd but I pulled out w/ enough time initially to beat them, but going 1800rpms will slow you down reeeeal quick.
This thread is ghey

Lol
In -27º I am letting it sit till spring time. That's one of the big reasons I live in Texas. I spent a couple weeks in Minot ND one winter. I promised myself, I would never, ever live anywhere that cold.

LOL! I love the cold.

Irishcream

Reaction score
Having driven my 7.3L in Winnipeg, the coldest place on earth outside of Siberia, I realized two things.
1. I always warmed my truck up in high Idle
2. The EBPV was utterly useless.

I know there are gonna be some that will strongly disagree with me on these points but having driven in such harsh conditions I had first hand experience with cold. I used my truck for hauling goods both in the box and on a 20ft flatdeck trailer. The EBPV would be constantly closed throughout various periods in the day. Warming up the truck by merely idling would do nothing to raise the block temp because it was just too cold. High idle was a must or else I would get the same stumbling while driving. Even idling while unloading the truck would cause cylinder wash and white/grey smoke from lack of compression. At one point while driving the EBPV got stuck closed even under load. I let off the pedal then jumped on it hard and it made such a huge bang and puff if black smoke that I could see the shape of the car that just went through the cloud. The origianl function of this thing was to help warm up the engine faster but it restricts so much exhaust that the vehicle cannot get upto normal RPMs which in turn would have warmed the engine naturally. I have had my EBPV unplugged for about 2 years now and have no plans on hooking it back up.
If it worked more like an engine brake(jake brake) then I would see a greater benefit to having it. As a Heavy Duty Diesel Mechanic we often use the Jakes to get engines upto temp quickly but the function of the two are quite different.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Well I appreciate your experience and input on this matter. When it gets THAT cold, these trucks (diesels in general) really do struggle to survive. I bet you only got real heat while under load eh?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Having driven my 7.3L in Winnipeg, the coldest place on earth outside of Siberia, I realized two things.
1. I always warmed my truck up in high Idle
2. The EBPV was utterly useless.

I know there are gonna be some that will strongly disagree with me on these points but having driven in such harsh conditions I had first hand experience with cold. I used my truck for hauling goods both in the box and on a 20ft flatdeck trailer. The EBPV would be constantly closed throughout various periods in the day. Warming up the truck by merely idling would do nothing to raise the block temp because it was just too cold. High idle was a must or else I would get the same stumbling while driving. Even idling while unloading the truck would cause cylinder wash and white/grey smoke from lack of compression. At one point while driving the EBPV got stuck closed even under load. I let off the pedal then jumped on it hard and it made such a huge bang and puff if black smoke that I could see the shape of the car that just went through the cloud. The origianl function of this thing was to help warm up the engine faster but it restricts so much exhaust that the vehicle cannot get upto normal RPMs which in turn would have warmed the engine naturally. I have had my EBPV unplugged for about 2 years now and have no plans on hooking it back up.
If it worked more like an engine brake(jake brake) then I would see a greater benefit to having it. As a Heavy Duty Diesel Mechanic we often use the Jakes to get engines upto temp quickly but the function of the two are quite different.

Great post!

Ive not been in cold like that. We've had some.negatives here but nothing huge or ongoing. Our cold is intense fwiw. My buddy in Montana said he'd take 0 in Montana over 20 in IL.

I do know that my truck.warms up just fine with no ebpv. Its.not even on the truck.
Ive got this. Banks.sucks but this is a well made part.
http://assets.bankspower.com/prod_images/790/ford_pe_9903_73L.jpg

littleredstroker

Reaction score

2 Years in Dickinson. -50 to -60 for almost 3 weeks. Even plugged in it was hard to start, plus the apartment I lived in had outside outlets that were off all day and night, came on at 3 am to 6 am. The other alternative was running 200 ft of extension cord out my bedroom window.. my truck never shut off for those three weeks. Guys in service trucks laying on the ground warming up oil pans with a rosebud to try and warm it up . It's amazing how little fuel these use when high idling all night and day.

sent while trying not to JJ My rods!!!!!!

TyCorr

Reaction score
i still never told YOU to let is sit for 30 min... i said thats what i do.

live life full throttle

There is no right answer. Every truck is.different. What you do in those extreme cold.temps.will.vary.from.what I do in my "cold" temps.

Irishcream

Reaction score
The first year I owned my truck was an extremely cold winter. It was between -33 and -45 celsius for about 2 months straight. It would take me an hour to get my truck started every morning before I went to work. I had it in a garage, plugged in, an oil pan magnet heater and I had to put a camping BBQ under the oil pan to get it to start. One morning it took so long and so much cranking that it cooked the starter. My boss came and picked me up and by the time my work day was done I came home to find out my neighbour had changed the starter for me. He changed it outside at -30 Celsius. Great guy. It would fill my garage so full of white raw fuel that I would have to crawl on the ground to find my way back to the door to get back into the house to let my hands thaw out.
Since then I have moved to the west coast and will never have to go through that again. Now I find it hilarious that the diesel guys out here plug their trucks in at 0. too funny.

TyCorr

Reaction score
0 deg plug ins are.for.guys runnning rotella.

Ill tell you this my pennzoil 15w40(not even sure its.around) and an hour.of being plugged in I never.had.starting issues. Ive only had fuel issues.related.to.cold.weather.once. That was in my 03 7.3 and needing to.fuel up but not having ps white.with me.

Irishcream

Reaction score
I've gone so far as to run a 0 synthetic in the Winnipeg winters but it was so thin that some leaks started to develope so I haven't done that again. I agree that the weather I was talking about was extreme and not really a fair comparison. Just thought I'd share what I had to go through. Diesels can be tempermental in so many different conditions be it damp, freezing cold or raging hot. There are so many variables to deal with that the behavior of our trucks can change so much. The setup I had to deal with Winnipeg weather got me through some tough winters. Now that I live in a milder climate I may need to tweek it a little. I don't think I need the high idle anymore when it seldom gets below freezing. Maybe I need a hill climb setting though.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Great post!

Ive not been in cold like that. We've had some.negatives here but nothing huge or ongoing. Our cold is intense fwiw. My buddy in Montana said he'd take 0 in Montana over 20 in IL.

I do know that my truck.warms up just fine with no ebpv. Its.not even on the truck.
Ive got this. Banks.sucks but this is a well made part.
http://assets.bankspower.com/prod_images/790/ford_pe_9903_73L.jpg

Its true, us guys on the Lakes get way colder "colds" than the guys in the mnts or plains.

2 Years in Dickinson. -50 to -60 for almost 3 weeks. Even plugged in it was hard to start, plus the apartment I lived in had outside outlets that were off all day and night, came on at 3 am to 6 am. The other alternative was running 200 ft of extension cord out my bedroom window.. my truck never shut off for those three weeks. Guys in service trucks laying on the ground warming up oil pans with a rosebud to try and warm it up . It's amazing how little fuel these use when high idling all night and day.

sent while trying not to JJ My rods!!!!!!

These trucks use roughly .25-.5 gal/hr when idling. Not too teribble considering their sizes and power output.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.