HELP!!! Low boost/No boost

superdutyman97

Reaction score
So I took off for work today and had to pull off to take a call. When I went to pull back on the highway, I stood on it to get out ahead of traffic and it almost killed itself. Now the problem is that it's acting like a non vgt, very slow to spool on bottom end and normal power at highway speed. From a stop the boost comes up very slowly, and at highway speeds it will build normal or maybe a little faster. I've also noticed that I hit about 29 psi at one point. I can hear the difference in the exhaust note too, real deep and throaty vs sounding like a shop vac normally.
Would the vanes in the turbo sticking cause this? I pulled the plug on the actuator to see if it changed, and it was an instant difference. I've looked all over for a blown intercooler boot and came up with nothing do far. The nylon(or whatever they are) boots on the passenger side have come up clean. The black plastic tube on the other side is a concern but as of right now it's ok too. Also pulled the intake and checked the turbo once again; no shaft play or anything abnormal. I'm stumped , anybody else had this kind of problem with a 6.0?

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
list of possible causes could go all day, does it seem to boost fine for the first few moments of wot? have you checked the ebp sensor for corrosion?

Lassie

Reaction score
If it can hit 29 psi when it lights, I doubt its up pipes or any boost leak. That sounds like a turbo ring either not shifting (needs cleaning or bad VGT actuator), or not being told to shift (ie EBP sensor or MAP)

superdutyman97

Reaction score
If it can hit 29 psi when it lights, I doubt its up pipes or any boost leak. That sounds like a turbo ring either not shifting (needs cleaning or bad VGT actuator), or not being told to shift (ie EBP sensor or MAP)

Well the truck threw a code a while back and it came back related to ebp, and now that you mention it, it's shifting kind of strange to boot. Like its hanging in gear too long sometimes. Would the ebp sensor screw with the turbo that much?

Last edited:

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
pull the ebp and see if it is green inside, if it is replace it. ford had a strategy update for ebp issues on 05's, 05 did not have a maf sensor

superdutyman97

Reaction score
pull the ebp and see if it is green inside, if it is replace it. ford had a strategy update for ebp issues on 05's, 05 did not have a maf sensor
I know I asked before, but would the ebp sensor cause these kinds of symptoms? I've got a new sensor on the way via a buddy with a drawer full of them.

superdutyman97

Reaction score
I believe the actuator is in working order, but I'm going to pull the turbo Saturday and clean it to see where that gets me as well as the ebp tube and check the sensor. Anybody know a link on cleaning the turbo up?

G Racing

Reaction score
You should also pull the intake manifold air temp sensor and clean it. Also make sure that the map sensor line and the brass nipple where it connects to the manifold are not plugged.

superdutyman97

Reaction score
It may be a really dumb question, but where is the map sensor located? And where is the air temp sensor? Sorry to ask so many questions, I just really don't know a whole lot about it yet. I'm learning as I go right now

G Racing

Reaction score
The map sensor is on the passengers side of the truck. There is a black bracket attached to the top of the a/c heater box with 3 studs and nuts. There will be a rubber hose that will go from there to the passengers side of the intake manifold.

The manifold air temp sensor is located on the drivers side on the intake manifold. It sits just behind the fuel filter bowl. You will see it sticking straight up with a gray connector.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
I know I asked before, but would the ebp sensor cause these kinds of symptoms? I've got a new sensor on the way via a buddy with a drawer full of them.

think of it this way, the vgt in the turbo adds or reduces exhaust back pressure to create boost and the ebp (exhaust back pressure) sensor measures the amount of "ebp" and calculates engine load

superdutyman97

Reaction score
The map sensor is on the passengers side of the truck. There is a black bracket attached to the top of the a/c heater box with 3 studs and nuts. There will be a rubber hose that will go from there to the passengers side of the intake manifold.

The manifold air temp sensor is located on the drivers side on the intake manifold. It sits just behind the fuel filter bowl. You will see it sticking straight up with a gray connector.
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I'm trying to avoid buying a bunch of parts that don't need replaced yet. Need that money for other go fast parts LOL