HELP!!! Low boost/No boost

superdutyman97

Reaction score
think of it this way, the vgt in the turbo adds or reduces exhaust back pressure to create boost and the ebp (exhaust back pressure) sensor measures the amount of "ebp" and calculates engine load

That helps a bunch, goes a long way in trying to pinpoint the source of my problems. It's actually over fueling again and white smoking when I got home from work last night

G Racing

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I'm trying to avoid buying a bunch of parts that don't need replaced yet. Need that money for other go fast parts LOL

You don't have to replace them. Just clean the air temp sensor and make sure that the port for the map sensor isn't plugged.

Lassie

Reaction score
The first time I ever deleted an egr, I clogged a MAP sensor port degreasing the intake. When truck was back together, the turbo only seemed to shift from full open to full closed. Truck was almost undriveable. Threw a low boost/check turbo something or other code. I would think yours would too.

The MAP and EBP can be checked without wrenching with AE or another diag tool. Put out a word on here for an OHIO fella to help a guy out for a free beer (or six). :toast: Somebody with a scanner has to live fairly close. I'd gladly offer up, but the drive is a little much.

superdutyman97

Reaction score
The first time I ever deleted an egr, I clogged a MAP sensor port degreasing the intake. When truck was back together, the turbo only seemed to shift from full open to full closed. Truck was almost undriveable. Threw a low boost/check turbo something or other code. I would think yours would too.

The MAP and EBP can be checked without wrenching with AE or another diag tool. Put out a word on here for an OHIO fella to help a guy out for a free beer (or six). :toast: Somebody with a scanner has to live fairly close. I'd gladly offer up, but the drive is a little much.
My little brother has access to a scan tool that we can use. I'm drivable but it's quickly becoming a problem because of the smoke. I haven't seen any codes but the only thing I've checked with is my sct so far

Lassie

Reaction score
The EBP and MAP should read atmospheric pressure with KOEO. You might get lucky and its way off here. If that looks good, watch them while running. Make sure they change when they should....ie MAP should increase when you boost.

superdutyman97

Reaction score
Im going to mess with it saturday morning and afternoon and see what I can determine. I've ruled out major turbo issues and injectors because it's running normal. It's just not making boost when it should be, and it's slow when it does. Hoping to just be able to clean a sensor or something to that affect. I need the truck streetable ASAP so I can move lol

superdutyman97

Reaction score
So here's what I've come up with. The ebp sensor was fubar, could've been ran but my brother snapped it off. Went and got a new one and put it in, runs better than it did but it's still not 100%. Still spooling slowly: we've cleaned the map sensor port and checked the tube, it's all good. The only thing I haven't messed with yet is the intake air temp sensor. If that doesn't do it I'm pulling thr charger and cleaning and checking it. We ran a contribution test on the injectors and as each injector shut down it was a notable change in the sound of the truck. When we shut #1 down it made no difference. This would be a great indication of something wrong but the truck runs perfect, just slow on boost. It's not missing, hesitating, or doing anything out of the ordinary. Could an injector on its way out cause my boost issues? Seems like every time I go out and stand on it the boost drops to zero after I let out of it, and stays down till I kick down to passing gear or play with the throttle.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
if no change in rpm when you shut down #1 injector you have a misfire! i hate to sound like a broken record but go get some marvel and pour it in, if no change pull the rh v/c and check and see if the spool valve thru bolt came loose allowing the coils to not make contact

superdutyman97

Reaction score
if no change in rpm when you shut down #1 injector you have a misfire! i hate to sound like a broken record but go get some marvel and pour it in, if no change pull the rh v/c and check and see if the spool valve thru bolt came loose allowing the coils to not make contact
I'll have to grab some and see what happens, it's not shown itself as a problem yet it just came across in trying to diagnose Saturday morning.

superdutyman97

Reaction score
Mystery solved: #1 injector said goodbye to the world yesterday morning. Replaced it and I'm golden for now. Back at 100% but still lightly hazing smoke at idle.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Mystery solved: #1 injector said goodbye to the world yesterday morning. Replaced it and I'm golden for now. Back at 100% but still lightly hazing smoke at idle.

Residual diesel in the exhaust that will have to burn out..... Take her out on a wot run, should be good after that

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

superdutyman97

Reaction score
i'm glad that you were able to find the problem!

Me too, it was about to drive me nuts because of the way it erratically shifted and wouldn't build boost and smoked like hell some times when it never done it before. Definitely a learning experience, never had to put an injector in until yesterday. Least it was number 1 LOL

Latest posts

Members online