HP limits on stock internals

TooMuch03

Reaction score
How long did Jesse pull with his truck on stock internals? He had to be around 750 hp. He said the only reason the rods bent was they were using a new tune with a lot more timing.

Purdue_stroker

Reaction score
This is makin me feel a little better. I made 630 a few weeks ago (even though my butt dyno says 650-675. Lol). And it's gonna be hooked to a sled all summer with some occasional daily driver time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
I would think compounds would help because the torque curve is much smoother on the low end. that's what I keep telling myself anyways...

TooMuch03

Reaction score
I would think compounds would help because the torque curve is much smoother on the low end. that's what I keep telling myself anyways...

I like the way you think :thumbsup:

I would also think that making x amount of power on fuel only versus making that same amount with nitrous would be easier on the internals, but who knows.

strokin6L

Reaction score
How much does a set of aftermarket rods cost? And you start pushing enough air to make that much power you're gonna need aftermarket valve springs to prevent float correct?

Remember...Ellerton made over 1000+hp with stock heads which included stock valves and stock springs. You don't need aftermarket valves or springs for that hp level.

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
This is more of a question of "do you wanna push stock internals til she grenades?" or "do you want to build the engine and feel safe and fuzzy?".

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
I would think that much air mixed with high rpms would cause valve float?

are we even really spinning these motors fast enough to worry about valve float? I wouldn't worry about it unless it's a dedicated drag racing or pulling truck that's built for high rpms. you can always have your tuner set your rev limiter lower if that gives you a warm fuzzy too...

Purdue_stroker

Reaction score
This is more of a question of "do you wanna push stock internals til she grenades?" or "do you want to build the engine and feel safe and fuzzy?".

I want to keep pushing it harder, but I want to put my build off for at least another year, and I just didn't know where I need to be worried

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
? Wheres the huge difference? Pretty much the same motor just bored out to a 6.4.

this is just me thinkin with the little knowledge i have about 6.4s still but i think the rods are alittle better and stronger along with the crank but i could be completely wrong. i do know however that the stock internals on a 6.4 have already proven to hold over 850. for how long im not sure but i know its been done

sleeps

Reaction score
are we even really spinning these motors fast enough to worry about valve float? I wouldn't worry about it unless it's a dedicated drag racing or pulling truck that's built for high rpms. you can always have your tuner set your rev limiter lower if that gives you a warm fuzzy too...
If the springs are weak then valve float can be an issue without really high rpms. I'd imagine with as many miles as some of us have on our trucks the integrity of the valve springs have to be degraded.along with the boost levels some people are seeing, it is very likely.

Reaction score
this is just me thinkin with the little knowledge i have about 6.4s still but i think the rods are alittle better and stronger along with the crank but i could be completely wrong. i do know however that the stock internals on a 6.4 have already proven to hold over 850. for how long im not sure but i know its been done

Sounds pretty legit! But hey we all know 6.4 pistons suck a** compared to 6.0s

MorganY

Reaction score

Don't forget, excessive Boost and drive pressures can cause valves to float

MUDSTROKIN'

Reaction score

With just my sct I hit 4k almost daily messing with Honda's and whatever else I can find. Maybe im just over thinking it. Can they put a rev limiter on a ZF6 when in nuetral or clutch in? Pretty sure mine was set to 4, 200 and one night sitting in a parking lot in nuetral my flor mat pushed the pedal to the floor and it tached out for a second or 2 before I could flip the key off. Yea 5k + rpms, I had doo doo stains in my drawers for sure

Latest posts

Members online