Interesting Oil Temp finding...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I've had my grill done up like this for 6-7 years now. It finally started to crack and the chrome was pealing, just looked bad...

1045051_174592556049154_599043119_n.jpg

So I picked up one off CL that I thought was perfect, its not, and a chinese knock off, but I figured it would work for a while so I painted it up. Adding the mesh takes time so I didnt bother.

Installed it before I went home last weekend...

1044256_174584776049932_1046803248_n.jpg

Here is the interesting part...

Water and Oil temps dropped about 4*-7*... I would not have thought that a little mesh would effect oil and water temps that much, but its quite clear it did!

skylinedan

Reaction score
This is funny because I made my own prerunner bar a couple weeks ago. Last night I put the two 8" pro comp lights on it I ordered, and there huge, lol I'm kind wondering if they will raise the temps from air flow blockage . I need one more, but hate too block it more than they do now.

TyCorr

Reaction score
It slows the air down just enough to raise the temp. Makes sense.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I've got a 180* stat here to try this weekend as well. Just to see how much change they do make...

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
the higher temps could be an advantage for fuel economy, especially in the winter.
imo the wire mesh looked nice!

CSIPSD

Reaction score
the higher temps could be an advantage for fuel economy, especially in the winter.
imo the wire mesh looked nice!

I've always liked the mesh, however this grill has some issues so I didn't do it.

My oil temps will get into the 210-215 range just cruising empty. With the trailer on they hover around 220. Not a big deal, but I've wanted to have an educated opinion on this 180* stat for quite a while. Had the opportunity so we will see just how much change it gives.

Spatel23

Reaction score
I'm interested what you find with the 180 thermostat.
I've been seeing normal driving temps of EOT at around 220 empty as of late in my 02.

02BigD

Reaction score
My oil temps run about the same as yours did Joe, but I have a 5/8 filled block. Where did you get the thermostat? In for results as I've been wanting to try a 180.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
after i got my truck back from being rebuilt i saw cruising oil temps 215-220° so i tried the riffraff 180° stat and even with my fifth wheel on the back, oil temps never got over 200°.... i would say thats a good change... i dont drive this truck for mileage so im not to worried if its to cool..
live life full throttle

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
My oil temps run about the same as yours did Joe, but I have a 5/8 filled block. Where did you get the thermostat? In for results as I've been wanting to try a 180.

Mine is in the oil filter housing... The HPO res shows much lower oil temps.

02BigD

Reaction score
Just so I am clear, your sensor for your oil temp gauge is in the filter housing....the HPO sensor is the place that the OBDII (ie, Scan Gauge) port is reading from?

dirk0

Reaction score
I've got a 180* stat here to try this weekend as well. Just to see how much change they do make...

I've been running a 180* for a few years. Oil temps dropped by 25-40* during the Texas summer months.

EDIT: That's with dual pumps/remote IPR, split shot B codes, yadda, mods, yadda yadda, other mods, yadda yadda.. So there is quite a bit of oil moving around. I also noticed that the closer I got to 3k miles on the oil, the faster the oil heated up and became hotter over all. Report on the oil at 3k miles had shown that it was fair over all, but had sheered from 40w to below 30w.

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Hey Buddy! Been a while.

If it drops that much its coming out. I would like to see normal oil temps in the 200*-210* range and peak when towing in the 230* range.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
well crap, how much lower does it normally run joe? im using my scanner to read eot. so i may be higher yet?

live life full throttle

Oil temp in the res will show 195-200* and at the filter housing it will be 220 or so.

I do question if the sensor or housing is picking up heat from the manifold, but have not yet messed with that.

Latest posts

Members online