Interesting Oil Temp finding...

dirk0

Reaction score
Hey Buddy! Been a while.

If it drops that much its coming out. I would like to see normal oil temps in the 200*-210* range and peak when towing in the 230* range.

It has been awhile. Don't know how long I'll stay around, but I'm here. :)

Joey and I had long talks about this years ago. I even tried using a MASSIVE external air\oil cooler (18x25 tube\fin) in front of my DI\Hellman IC. I installed one of Dieselsite's HPOP Res filter\oil return\whatever pieces and routed the relief oil from the dual HPOP's to the cooler, then back to the oil return at the reservoir. That dropped my temps from 225-235* down to 215ish. I changed the external cooler to a 30something row stacked plate cooler (think of the larger 6.0 transmission cooler size), but didn't see much difference. I assume that is due to the over all small amount of oil going through it compared to the GALLONS of oil in the engine...

I received a package from Joey one day and one of the items was a 180* stat. Since I was having oil leak issues, I removed the cooler and dumped the oil back to the res filter adapter. I haven't looked back. I have the data somewhere on psn or emails with Joey, I'll see what I can find. Or better yet, Joey may remember and give you more details. In any case, I was happ(ier) with my setup.

These days, I don't care. I may be returning the truck closer to stock. I've grown tired of the CONSTANT turbo whine, lopey idle, random CAC boots blowing off, tires scrubbing on 1-2\2-3 shifts, caltracs randomly slapping the springs, etc... There is no reason for it now.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
It has been awhile. Don't know how long I'll stay around, but I'm here. :)

Joey and I had long talks about this years ago. I even tried using a MASSIVE external air\oil cooler (18x25 tube\fin) in front of my DI\Hellman IC. I installed one of Dieselsite's HPOP Res filter\oil return\whatever pieces and routed the relief oil from the dual HPOP's to the cooler, then back to the oil return at the reservoir. That dropped my temps from 225-235* down to 215ish. I changed the external cooler to a 30something row stacked plate cooler (think of the larger 6.0 transmission cooler size), but didn't see much difference. I assume that is due to the over all small amount of oil going through it compared to the GALLONS of oil in the engine...

I received a package from Joey one day and one of the items was a 180* stat. Since I was having oil leak issues, I removed the cooler and dumped the oil back to the res filter adapter. I haven't looked back. I have the data somewhere on psn or emails with Joey, I'll see what I can find. Or better yet, Joey may remember and give you more details. In any case, I was happ(ier) with my setup.

These days, I don't care. I may be returning the truck closer to stock. I've grown tired of the CONSTANT turbo whine, lopey idle, random CAC boots blowing off, tires scrubbing on 1-2\2-3 shifts, caltracs randomly slapping the springs, etc... There is no reason for it now.

I stepped back as much as I could and still run the H2e... Over all the crap, better things to do with life.

dirk0

Reaction score
I stepped back as much as I could and still run the H2e... Over all the crap, better things to do with life.

I went to the 4202r, then back to modded 38r, now I'm back to the 4202r. Seems to light up just fine, just noisy as hell...

I'm selling a lot of stuff right now to an old friend who wants to build his truck back up again. Rather good timing, I wanted to clear out the garage.

I think you'll like the 180*. Stay safe, PM me if you run into issues or have questions. If I disappear again, have someone reach out to me.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I went to the 4202r, then back to modded 38r, now I'm back to the 4202r. Seems to light up just fine, just noisy as hell...

I'm selling a lot of stuff right now to an old friend who wants to build his truck back up again. Rather good timing, I wanted to clear out the garage.

I think you'll like the 180*. Stay safe, PM me if you run into issues or have questions. If I disappear again, have someone reach out to me.

sorry for the derail, but whats a modded 38r consist of?

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
after i got my truck back from being rebuilt i saw cruising oil temps 215-220° so i tried the RIFFRAFF 180° stat and even with my fifth wheel on the back, oil temps never got over 200°.... i would say thats a good change... i dont drive this truck for mileage so im not to worried if its to cool..
live life full throttle

here, ill make easier for everyone
http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/m...ct_Code=TERMISTAT&Category_Code=F731-EC-TSTAT

live life full throttle

FussGus

Reaction score
I know I am kind of off topic somewhat by asking this but for those who clean cotton and debris from coolers, radiator etc. What is the best way to get everything out? I don't have my own compressor to blow it out and it would take forever for me to do it at work. Maybe that is the best way?

Milford

Reaction score
What is a safe oil temp max? 240-250??? I know I have seen 225 give or take with my scangauge, that was out in the 29 Palms area of Cali(120* temps) towing a trailer with a K5 blazer.

That is very interesting about the grill CSI, How many trucks out there have that same type of mesh covering also. I know I have seen more then I can count.

dirk0

Reaction score
What is a safe oil temp max? 240-250??? I know I have seen 225 give or take with my scangauge, that was out in the 29 Palms area of Cali(120* temps) towing a trailer with a K5 blazer.

That is very interesting about the grill CSI, How many trucks out there have that same type of mesh covering also. I know I have seen more then I can count.

Personally, 240* max. The higher the temps, the higher possibility of aeration of oil. With higher oil temps, my idle quality sometimes gets worse. But send off for an old report. Each truck is different.

INFRNL

Reaction score
Crazy that screen raises the temp that much. I was thinking of adding mesh to mine to help keep bug damage down on my condenser. Plus I like the looks

I have been running the 203 stat for yrs and never thought about anything. Mainly for warmer heat. Im planning to go back to oem stat.

Thanks for sharing this info Joe. I might send you a pm too, wanted to ask you some questions since we have somewhat similar setups

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Got my coolant filter moved today, but about the time I was going to start the T-stat change the damn mosquitoes started eating me alive!!!

10347_175463279295415_2024328478_n.jpg

1010309_175463289295414_961275902_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have the mesh behind my grill but I think it has a little bigger diamonds in it.I ran the 203 stat and the temps stayed around 205 and my oil would be around 210-220..the same as our T444E rollback...I also noticed when I pulled my oil cooler that there was some silicone in the center section..I bought a used one from Marty and it was the same way..I did get them cleaned out but the truck is not quite running yet to see if there is a difference..

Attachments

• 99power stroke 016.jpg
    99power stroke 016.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 51

CurtisF

Reaction score
Not many folks realize the engineering that goes into the front end for airflow. Change it up with aftermarket products, and you can change the airflow significantly.

It's the same reason Ford engineers won't approve a grill for the Ecoboost F-150's to cover up that gigantic hole in the bumper. My dealers ask me nonstop when Ford is coming out with one, and I have to tell them.... never.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
Not many folks realize the engineering that goes into the front end for airflow. Change it up with aftermarket products, and you can change the airflow significantly.

It's the same reason Ford engineers won't approve a grill for the Ecoboost F-150's to cover up that gigantic hole in the bumper. My dealers ask me nonstop when Ford is coming out with one, and I have to tell them.... never.
instead they had to come up with a revised cac and block it off partially to help with condensation

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Coolant filter done...

1003263_175665422608534_1030969811_n.jpg

1044872_175665489275194_255493893_n.jpg

Thank you to Gordon (COTA) for the location idea! I've hated where I've had it for all these years!

180* stat on the left, 192* on the right...

1011774_175665345941875_1856751251_n.jpg

992906_175665402608536_884377653_n.jpg

I'll be driving home in a few days, I'll clear the peak recall tonight and see what we find. Only thing that has changed other then the t-stat is the location of the water temp sender. Its further from the water pump. Peaks should remain the same, over all movement and reaction might be slightly different.

Latest posts

Members online