Interesting Oil Temp finding...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
yeah i should have not said free spin... it will spin with some resistance... but if it just free spins thats when its toast.. but while the truck is running it will always spin too.. like i said, i didnt even know mine worked till last summer driving through kansas on a 120° day..... ive had the thing five years too.

live life full throttle

Lang

Reaction score
Ahh ok thanks. It has resistance when I spin it. Didn't know if it was suppose to be spinning all the time

Jomax

Reaction score
I hit 247 degrees for oil temp towing 14k up 6-7 percent grades in 117 degree weather with a 180 stat. I see no point in the 203.

rascal

Reaction score
I am going to ride the rest of the summer and winter out with my 203* but definitely switching to a 180* next spring.

Southmike

Reaction score
Since I got the torque ap I can see oil temps ..pushing hard empty I hit 220 with the 203 stat.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score

Maybe I missed something, but it seems as if your arguments are somewhat conflicted.

Either the 203* stat causes higher coolant temperatures, which in turn raises cylinder temperatures lending itself to more efficient combustion, and also correlates to an increased oil temperature.
OR
The 203* and 180* stats do not create a discernible difference in coolant temperature, which in turn has no effect on the combustion process or oil temperatures.
It can't both cause an increase in oil temperature and have no effect on coolant/cylinder temperature.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Once the tstat opens, what difference does it make? Im not conflicted. If you leave your house at point A and you have 10k lbs of trailer behind you the truck with a 180° tstat will, reasonably, have full coolant flow at 180°. The truck with a 203° stat will have the same thing at 203. So a mile later, all things are equal. The superduty will shed the heat so fast in the cooling system it wont get that hot anyway.

Do what you want, its your truck. Im just sharing that once the tstat opens, I cant tell a difference. Oil and water reach the same temps.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Stock truck... I would not mess with the stat one way or the other.

I would NEVER run a 203* stat again. It is and will remain on the shelf in the shop.

I still hit 250* oil temp pulling the RV back up here two weeks ago, but that was one pass, got started slow on the bottom due to some ass hat and had to work her hard to get back up to speed.

The differance was how quickly the temps came back down, and how often they did not peak out like that. TONS more reserve left in her this way.

The 180* stat is in for a while now. Winter might have me switch back, but we will see.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thats all I was getting at Joe. Im not sure why anybody is.getting confused.by what I said. :shrug:

Since you brought it up, how heavy is your camper, fifth or bumper pull, and would you buy the same setup again? Im camper researching. Lots out there to look at.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
We've got three kids and i dont.want to drop.big $$ on one and have nobody interested after two outings. Ive wanted one for years but never scratched the itch.

That looks pretty nice! Does the bumper pull tow nicely? Ever wish it was a fifth wheel?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
We've got three kids and i dont.want to drop.big $$ on one and have nobody interested after two outings. Ive wanted one for years but never scratched the itch.

That looks pretty nice! Does the bumper pull tow nicely? Ever wish it was a fifth wheel?

Mine was $21,000 at the end of 2010. It was the end of year sale, list was $26,500. Got them down and threw in a weight hitch and electric tounge jack.

It tows great, no issues pulling anywhere in the country in any weather. From blizzards to 120* heat. Winds, rain, and such dont effect me a bit.

Do I wish it was a 5er, from time to time... But 90% of the time there is crap in my bed. I dont have to worry about that this way.

fwiw i love my fifth wheel.. tows better then any bumper pull ive had on..

live life full throttle

But how often do you tow it... I go from jobsite to jobsite, about every 3-9 months. Its not like its always hooked up...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Mine was $21,000 at the end of 2010. It was the end of year sale, list was $26,500. Got them down and threw in a weight hitch and electric tounge jack.

It tows great, no issues pulling anywhere in the country in any weather. From blizzards to 120* heat. Winds, rain, and such dont effect me a bit.

Do I wish it was a 5er, from time to time... But 90% of the time there is crap in my bed. I dont have to worry about that this way.

But how often do you tow it... I go from jobsite to jobsite, about every 3-9 months. Its not like its always hooked up...

anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months its on the back of my truck... i have the goose neck adapter so its just like hauling the goose neck from our farm only about half the weight of a load of round bales or tractors...

live life full throttle

Southmike

Reaction score
Hmm personally I think joew camper is more interesting then oil temps..lol
Very nice rig joe.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Every two weeks to two months... Not for two weeks?

depends on the job... if i like it then its parked for a month or two... if i dont like the job, then i drag and find a new one... so it could be parked for 2 weeks and i hook back on and go or it could be parked longer..

live life full throttle

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Thats more or less what I do... So in my mind the differance between a gooseneck and bumper is less...

When I retire someday and have a 40' trailer that we travel from town to town in, then without a doubt it will be a 5th wheel.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.