Is pulling the filter minder shut ok?

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Just like the thread title reads. I have been discussing this with Mike H. and Dustin and we feel that there is a definitely correlation between turbo failure and air filter restriction.

When the filter is too much restriction the turbo pressure ratio changes as well as turbo speed. Too much speed equals failure.

On Erik Clausen's truck it was pulling the filter minder on every dyno pull. So we knew there was a restriction. We have yet to put a vacuum gauge to test how much but as a simple test Mike did a dyno pull with the filter on and then with it removed.

Wow! Look at the power gain without the filter at some points its 30hp and 50 ft-lbs of torque. So what does this tell us? If you are pulling your filter minder shut then I suggest fix something!

Attachments

• Air filter before and after.jpg
    Air filter before and after.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Yeah, guys with big singles have been doing that for years. Collapsing filters, etc.,

It would be nice to have a high flow liter for guys who DD their stuff that would t cause problems.

What's the air inlet piping look like on the turbo's that have failures? Meaning, is it dusted?

White_monster

Reaction score
I'll be curious to see what the fix ends up being. Even my tow powers with s&b intake and a brand new filter sucked the minder in right away. I even had the intake tract to the filter opened up behind the headlight.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Eriks truck has a 4 inch to 5 inch adapter with an afe filter

Fwiw even my small s&b filters have done fine with my Turbo set up as long as they are clean and dry

White_monster

Reaction score
Interesting Dustin. I think switching the battery and intake locations would help the most and on smaller turbos fitting both in the engine bay would be possible

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I'll be curious to see what the fix ends up being. Even my tow powers with s&b intake and a brand new filter sucked the minder in right away. I even had the intake tract to the filter opened up behind the headlight.

Did you take the lid off the s&b

mike@haller's

Reaction score
What I would like to come up with is a way to measure atmospheric pressure before the turbo in the intake. We are working on a few different things for that now.
Even just 1 to 2 psi of drop on the inlet pressure has a drastic effect on the pressure ratio of the turbo, and puts alot more strain on the thrust.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Interesting Dustin. I think switching the battery and intake locations would help the most and on smaller turbos fitting both in the engine bay would be possible

I'm also running a 6 inch filter which might be the difference
I.also.leave.the filter minder switch hooked up so the alert will come on in the dash to let me know I have q problem. I think I could have saved myself some issues had I done it earlier.

I'm also working on a harness for eriks truck to read inlet pressure. Might have something ready to test tomorrow with some variations

BFT

Reaction score
And that helped? Strange cause on xstreet my minder sucked in.

On x-race the filter minder gets sucked in fast. I cleaned out the filter the other day and put it in x street and haven't had any issues.

On the spartan tunes I haven't had any problems and could keep the cover on. It once I loaded Erics race tune I had to take the cover off when I had stock turbos

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I am glad this is getting addressed. Jim and I talked about it the other day and I pretty much told him to do what he needs to so the filter minder isn't an issue. I want to be able to not worry about things like this, hopefully the next couple of days we can work it out. Thanks guys for diving into this issue.

Latest posts

Members online